Super Split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that Super Split may be teaming up with an ag equipment manufacturer. The goal is to produce more of the splitters than current capacity allows. Does anyone know if there is anything to this?

I heard a rumor that Super Split may be teaming up with an ag equipment manufacturer. The goal is to produce more of the splitters than current capacity allows. Does anyone know if there is anything to this?
Paul could of had Southern Hemisphere manufacturing capacity two years ago but was unwilling, too paranoid, untrusting, or just plain couldn't be arsed. If he is reading this, Paul, I've had over two years to copy this thing and haven't, but you just wouldn't believe me, would ya and now the two years of jump on the competition here is gone. It's not unusual for some Northern Hemisphere manufacturers to not give a flying fig for NZ and even Aussie sometimes. Paul's loss, the competitions gain.

That said, if this splitter dies tomorrow, I'll still buy another SS, even if Paul still won't sell me one.

When I bought mine 4 years ago, I talked with Paul about this design and the future. He sounded content to keep doing what they do and no plans to expand. Paul also turned down DR, so they just copied SS and didn't quite get it right....

When I bought my SS in April, I told the guys about a knockoff I found on the webwhen I picked mine up. I also emailed Paul about it with a link to their website, and youtube videos. I Never heard back from Paul. It is called Split Second Log Splitter. They were supposed to launch it in mid May, but has been delayed until end of June. The company is owned by Agri-Fab Inc.

The operation is like the DR model, in that you need two hands to engage the ram, but they added a wheel on the front so you can move it around easily. It has an adjustment for working height, and the nice option is a manual log lift.

Again, it looks like a straight ripoff of the SS.

When I bought my SS in April, I told the guys about a knockoff I found on the webwhen I picked mine up. I also emailed Paul about it with a link to their website, and youtube videos. I Never heard back from Paul. It is called Split Second Log Splitter. They were supposed to launch it in mid May, but has been delayed until end of June. The company is owned by Agri-Fab Inc.

The operation is like the DR model, in that you need two hands to engage the ram, but they added a wheel on the front so you can move it around easily. It has an adjustment for working height, and the nice option is a manual log lift.

Again, it looks like a straight ripoff of the SS.
except the only difference is that super split is a QUALITY splitter, Paul's not out to make millions, like DR or similar companies, and you can also talk to the person that designed/built your splitter if you have a problem, bet you cant do that if you call DR...
others can "copy" the super split but they cheap out on quality parts so they can make more money, which just makes them throw away machines.

I haven't heard this rumor either. If it is true, I'd venture to guess its the younger McCann (Paul' son Connor) who is behind it. As has been said, Paul could have teamed up with another company many times over in the last several decades, but never did.

The positives I see are:
*Better outreach to more areas
*Incorporating features customers have asked for in the past (such as a log lift, being road towable, etc)
*Possible lower costs to build the units if bought in bulk (hopefully passed down the line to the customer in part)

The negatives I see are:
*Less quality control
*Losing that mom and pop business feel
*Calling a 1-800 number instead of talking to the owner of the company

At the end of the day, if it is true, I'm not so sure it would be a good move on SS's part. The other companies are obviously in it for the money. Paul assumingly does well as is. Why change now?

To add to my previous post, a lot of companies that get "teamed up" or bought out by larger companies cheapen the line to the point that its no longer the same machine. Bolens, Wheelhorse, Cub Cadet, to name a few. The goal goes from making quality machines that will last for decades, to selling as many as possible at a price point that will attract new customers, regardless of how long it will last. Whatever parts they have to cheapen or eliminate to hit that price point are done with little care to the reputation for the brand.

Latest posts

Back