SuperSplit flywheel set screw keeps coming loose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevensandeights

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
HD model, less than 10 years old. I'm the 2nd owner. Set screw (actually a bolt with knurled hex cap head) for one of the fly wheels keeps coming loose. Anyone else experience this?

Pretty much every time I take the cover off for routine maintenance the flywheel has slid off the shaft about a 1/4" and rubs on the cover. Only happens on one side and always the same side. Keyway is in place.

Is there a flat spot on the pinion shaft that the set screw is supposed to engage?

Clean the threads with a solvent first. And if you really want the full deal, use LocTite primer.

There's also Loctite 277 stud and bearing high strength locker but you'll need heat to remove the part if the locker is properly applied.
I'd get a new socket head cap screw, degrease everything like was posted, use the thread locker, tighten it down to the lb/in or lb/ft that is specified and wait 24 hours before using it.

The absolute strongest bolt for use as a set screw is a
"

Square Head Set Screw, Dog - Half, Alloy Steel Case Hardened, Black Oxide, Full Thread​

21btEtX0JML._AC_.jpg

If you find one of these,, and it does not hold,, you need a new flywheel.

I think the Loctite sticks to this better because it is a black oxide finish, rather than plated.

If the problem is not the setscrew,, but, rather it is wear on the shaft or flywheel bore,
then Loctite makes a special product for taking up the gap between the two parts,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh, and the reason the square head setscrew is full thread is that you can get one that is too long,,
then put a Grade 8 nut on the setscrew before putting it in the flywheel.

After tightening the setscrew as far as possible,, tighten the nut against the flywheel, as a jam nut.
This jam nut will stop the setscrew from ever backing out.

Sorry for the delayed response and thanks for all of your responses.

I'm more worried about why the set screw keeps coming loose (especially since it's only one side) rather than ways to fix it. Hope that doesn't sound ignorant!

I have a call into SuperSplitter to see what they have to say. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Talked with SS and they recommended the same thing. Put some threadlocker on it and tighten her down!

Thanks all!

If you have the clearance, we always drill the shaft for set screws to set into. This is on 1.5”-3” shafts for bearings and any this else on a shaft in my gravel crusher line if work. Sometimes you can drill with a bit and not hit the threads, sometimes you gotta mark it with a pilot drill (small drill bit) then slide the flywheel off and drill a bigger dimple. You only need to go in the depth of the taper at the end of the set screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back