SuperSplit with 4-Way wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that is the point. Once the lever is pulled, there is no turning back. And if your or someone else's hand was in the way, well it would be very bad.:mad:
you can reverse the lever and stop the ram.

I don't buy the argument by the Safety Sallies concerned about the safety aspect of the speed of super splits, etc.

Why would you pull the lever BEFORE verifying your hands aren't in the way?

This isn't like some of the other devices we see -- from home-built conversions like hay balers turned into log splitters which cycle automatically (and continuously), or those Stickler things which also operate continuously.

I'd actually take a guess you're safer with the speed of the kinetic splitters since the time you're exposed to danger is less. Verify you're clear, pull, split.

The relatively slower hydraulics will be more tempting for someone to "race the train" and be tempted to try and adjust a log (or pull the lever to start the cycle BEFORE loading in order to save a bit of time), or simply lose their focus on what's going on and put their hand where it shouldn't be.

The danger is no where near what you have with other commonly used equipment that operates continuously like wood chippers, unless you manage to hit the stop bar, or chainsaws unless you hit the brake, jam them with your chaps, or have enough time for them to idle down and stop moving the blade.

Last edited:
Im a fan of the 4 way. For the size wood your doing you have the perfect machine.

Out of pure curiosity can you see your wood lot from 93 or is that someone else that has an SS?

Yes, a 4 way wedge sure improves productivity. I just got my Timberwolf TW-3HD with a 4 way wedge. At first I didn't realize why it seemed to be producing wood so much faster than my older splitter. Then I got into some smaller stuff that only split in half and saw the production plummet. A 4 way saves so much time retrieving the splits and holding one piece to the side while the other one goes through a second time.

Seeing how much more wood I get with one pass and larger rounds, I'm thinking about ordering the 6 way wedge next...

;-)

Ken

I haven't checked the engine rpm lately but that last time I set it was 3500-3600, I have someone process alot of my wood over at my parents, my father keeps an eye on things. He was the one that actually found someone running it at 4500rpm (bent throttle stop). He is a slow and steady, max mpg kind of guy (you know the guy you don't want to drive behind) so he is always trying to get me to run things slower. Its not uncommon for him to set the the high speed stop at 2500rpm... say on my commercial mower and tell me to go see what I think. It sucks, but when we come together and change the pulleys around then it runs great at 2500rpm.
My father will run the SS all day at 2500rpm for his personal use but I'm trying to make production. He just runs the electric SS now, no earplugs, inside, outside whatever.

Watching the video with a stop watch its running 2.5 second cycles which is as advertised from SS. In addition I have the return spring set super light so it doesn't slam back on the bump stops chewing them up and bouncing forward.

Unless you slowed the video down somehow, your SS seems to run a tad slower than some others I've seen. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer it to run a tad slower. Seems safer that way. And it's still PLENTY fast!

Did you slow it down, or is it just my imagination?

Don <><

Nope thats not me off 93, I'm in the corner between 95 and 101, about a mile off 95 as the crow flys.

buildmyown
Im a fan of the 4 way. For the size wood your doing you have the perfect machine.

Out of pure curiosity can you see your wood lot from 93 or is that someone else that has an SS?

Cool. Slick for the right sized rounds.

This reminds me of something that I've mentioned in the past - do you have pics of how the lever is setup with your pull forward vs up? You also mentioned something in the video about a cam follower you added. What's that about? I'd be curious to see what you did in more detail.

That video was actually a pleasure to view! Years ago a friend had one of these (electric) and I would borrow it to split up about 4 cords or so and it always worked slicker than anything.
Stay safe,
dave

I agree. Makes me wonder how on Earth something as evil as a chainsaw ever escaped the safety drones' attention long enough to become mainstream.

I don't buy the argument by the Safety Sallies concerned about the safety aspect of the speed of super splits, etc.

Why would you pull the lever BEFORE verifying your hands aren't in the way?

This isn't like some of the other devices we see -- from home-built conversions like hay balers turned into log splitters which cycle automatically (and continuously), or those Stickler things which also operate continuously.

I'd actually take a guess you're safer with the speed of the kinetic splitters since the time you're exposed to danger is less. Verify you're clear, pull, split.

The relatively slower hydraulics will be more tempting for someone to "race the train" and be tempted to try and adjust a log (or pull the lever to start the cycle BEFORE loading in order to save a bit of time), or simply lose their focus on what's going on and put their hand where it shouldn't be.

The danger is no where near what you have with other commonly used equipment that operates continuously like wood chippers, unless you manage to hit the stop bar, or chainsaws unless you hit the brake, jam them with your chaps, or have enough time for them to idle down and stop moving the blade.

Last edited:
372XP's, 288XP ported, 362 ported, 066, SuperSplit (modified), Supersplit electric, Powerhorse 20T, Harborfreight 30T, New Holland LX885, CAT 246C, Kubota L4240, Bandit 100, Woodsman 2114

Is signature envy curable? I hope so.

I agree. Makes me wonder how on Earth something as evil as a chainsaw ever escaped the safety drones' attention long enough to become mainstream.

Isn't that the truth! What do you think the chances would be if it were invented today?

Reminds me of the cartoon "Cowboy after OSHA":

cowboy.gif

Ken

Here are a couple pics of the lever.

View attachment 217052View attachment 217053

The ram slides on 4 cam followers on each side of the I-beam

Cool. Slick for the right sized rounds.

This reminds me of something that I've mentioned in the past - do you have pics of how the lever is setup with your pull forward vs up? You also mentioned something in the video about a cam follower you added. What's that about? I'd be curious to see what you did in more detail.

Went looking for the lever pics and found this of a few toys I bought 3 years ago within a week of my first childs birth. I think I was scared of loosing all my toys so I better buy nice new one that could last me the next 20 years...View attachment 217057

The CAT sales guy actually came to the hospital so I could sign the paperwork the day my daughter was born. I know I'm sick!

Is signature envy curable? I hope so.

Went looking for the lever pics and found this of a few toys I bought 3 years ago within a week of my first childs birth. I think I was scared of loosing all my toys so I better buy nice new one that could last me the next 20 years...View attachment 217057

The CAT sales guy actually came to the hospital so I could sign the paperwork the day my daughter was born. I know I'm sick!
Lol.

Isn't that the truth! What do you think the chances would be if it were invented today?

Reminds me of the cartoon "Cowboy after OSHA":

cowboy.gif

Ken
That's funny and so true, which is scary, all at the same time.

Imagine if someone came up with the crazy idea to power cars with gasoline today.

They would go positively apoplectic at the thought of sitting on top of 20 gallons of flammable liquids.

Latest posts

Back