Supersplit work table and mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxygen

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought an older super split. It's probably from the 80's but in pretty good shape. It has a 3/4 hp electric motor and it does pretty well. I'd like to build a work table for it. I was hoping someone can take some photos of how it the table mounts to the beam so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Looks like I'll have to extend the hitch too in order to tow it with the table. Luckily it came with real wheel bearings for towing.

Also, I'm thinking about repowering it with something more than the electric motor. I like it, but most of my splitting just isn't always conducive to electricity use. I thought about a generator but I'm not sure a small suitcase 2000 watt generator will start the motor, even if it's only the 3/4 hp motor. Anything larger is too much money and not convenient. I already have a 5500 watt, I don't need something only slightly smaller. It only makes sense if you can pick it up and carry it to the location. A 3 hp harbor freight motor is certainly cheap and adequate. I was wondering why a a small hydraulic motor couldn't run this off my tractor power beyond circuit. The high speed low torque motors seems to match almost exactly in torque specs for a small gas motor. It's certanly not as cheap but not that expensive either, unless I'm missing something. It just seems like a cool way to go for no reason at all other than you can. I'm no hydraulic guru but many of you are. Is there more to it than some hoses, a hyd. Motor and spool valve to operate it? Let's figure this out :)

I just bought an older super split. It's probably from the 80's but in pretty good shape. It has a 3/4 hp electric motor and it does pretty well. I'd like to build a work table for it. I was hoping someone can take some photos of how it the table mounts to the beam so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Looks like I'll have to extend the hitch too in order to tow it with the table. Luckily it came with real wheel bearings for towing.

Also, I'm thinking about repowering it with something more than the electric motor. I like it, but most of my splitting just isn't always conducive to electricity use. I thought about a generator but I'm not sure a small suitcase 2000 watt generator will start the motor, even if it's only the 3/4 hp motor. Anything larger is too much money and not convenient. I already have a 5500 watt, I don't need something only slightly smaller. It only makes sense if you can pick it up and carry it to the location. A 3 hp harbor freight motor is certainly cheap and adequate. I was wondering why a a small hydraulic motor couldn't run this off my tractor power beyond circuit. The high speed low torque motors seems to match almost exactly in torque specs for a small gas motor. It's certanly not as cheap but not that expensive either, unless I'm missing something. It just seems like a cool way to go for no reason at all other than you can. I'm no hydraulic guru but many of you are. Is there more to it than some hoses, a hyd. Motor and spool valve to operate it? Let's figure this out :)
why not run it with the pto off the tractor...could run it at idle using a larger pulley to get the right rpm, instead of running at a high rpm to get the hydraulic flow needed to run a hydraulic motor

I was hoping not to have to build a large contraption in order to use the tractor and would make it less portable than hydraulics.

I was hoping not to have to build a large contraption in order to use the tractor and would make it less portable than hydraulics.
all you need is 2 pillow block bearings, a shaft, a pulley and the PTO shaft...seems simple to me

this is the same except its not powered by a tractor

IMG_2464.jpg IMG_2465.jpg IMG_2466.jpgIMG_2467.jpg IMG_2469.jpg
The rear bolts on the table are the same four that hold the leg on, the table mount is on top of the lower beam flange. The forward mount is one bolt on each side, mounting again, on top of lower beam flange.
IMG_2470.jpg IMG_2473.jpg IMG_2471.jpgIMG_2472.jpg
I added the lower tubes to move it up to a conveyor with a forklift. I would still like to put wagon wheels on it with the steer wheels under the engine.
As for repowering it doesn't get much easier than a small gas engine with dual belt centrifugal clutch.
Hope the photos of the table help.

There are many ideas, mods and threads. It would be great to organise/consolidate them into one thread so it's easier for SS owners to reference.

For current search results on this site,
https://www.google.com/search?q=super+split+mods+site:arboristsite.com

and I'd really like to try CUCV's 4-way knife with an extra flywheel for the requisite grrrrrr to push through such a knife.

To use a 4 way effectively I think a newer HD (2012 or newer) with the heavier 90 lb flywheels or a SE with the 100 lb flywheels would be needed. A J model would push through one provided the pieces were straight grained and not to large.

These machines are so fast I don't know that Id want a 4 way on mine. I wouldn't mind a log lift though and a slightly taller wedge (1-2" taller.)

JMO

I would agree with the above comment...minimum 90lb flywheels to run a slip-on 4-way...100lb flywheels even better. Hence the edition of a flywheel in some older vids by CUCV. I personally wouldn't even fool with welding up a 4-way for my HD. Machine is plenty fast for me.

Latest posts

Back