Suprise, suprise, supise,,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We do a lot of commercial properties and this time of year really gets busy, so I have the crew that is doing those jobs coming in at 5am so we can take over the parking area's and coning off our work zones.
So the job this morning was a business park with offices and lots of trees,
It is early when we start so I left the site and went to the jobs my other crews were at.
About 3 hours later I get a call from an OSHA guy. yeah an OSHA dude calling me! :surprised3:
Remember, these are commercial buildings that we need to get in and out without making too many people mad,
big euc's and pines and a lot of noise,,yeah they get pissed, they will move you signs, cones and caution tape just to get to park as close as they can to the doors they need. We get it, so we kick ass and get it done.
Most of these complex's have multiple tenants and private offices and such,,
Anyway, I got a call and was asked to come back to the job site,
This guy that works for OSHA showed up for work,
Suprise, We are working in front of the OSHA office,,,,I did not know that,,
Jeff

When I was a council contractor, we would prune, deadwood and remove trees in very public places and usually in areas with high public access ie paths in busy bush reserves, council offices, car parks, street trees etc

It didn't take long to realise that most people are extremely selfish and moronic. They will move signs and barrier tape, the lead cyclist will even lift it up to let everyone through, they'll park between the cones under the tree you're working in, they'll walk under the tree you're felling, they will push a pram past a 1590 going full tits...
I've seen them do it and I just don't get it. They'll happily stand in the line of fell and shout at you while you're doing the back cut, but if you shout at them and drag them out the way they'll complain to the council and try to get you sacked.

I actually had a lady go nuts and full emotional breakdown because I pruned a rosebush she'd planted illegally on the naturestrip and it was covering the pavement with big thorns, she knew people in the council, lodged a formal complaint and tried hard to get me sacked

It's not a nice feeling to be up over a pathway going through the back cut and watching the head start to move as a column of spandex clad dickheads ride under the tree...

I soon learned that ticking every box, JSA's/risk assessments, on-site toolbox meetings, putting out more signs than necessary, barrier tape, blocking access in every direction and not just the pathway etc was bare minimum.

And you just know who gets the blame when shitheads get squished

Good luck Jeff!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

When I was a council contractor, we would prune, deadwood and remove trees in very public places and usually in areas with high public access ie paths in busy bush reserves, council offices, car parks, street trees etc

It didn't take long to realise that most people are extremely selfish and moronic. They will move signs and barrier tape, the lead cyclist will even lift it up to let everyone through, they'll park between the cones under the tree you're working in, they'll walk under the tree you're felling, they will push a pram past a 1590 going full tits...
I've seen them do it and I just don't get it. They'll happily stand in the line of fell and shout at you while you're doing the back cut, but if you shout at them and drag them out the way they'll complain to the council and try to get you sacked.

I actually had a lady go nuts and full emotional breakdown because I pruned a rosebush she'd planted illegally on the naturestrip and it was covering the pavement with big thorns, she knew people in the council, lodged a formal complaint and tried hard to get me sacked

It's not a nice feeling to be up over a pathway going through the back cut and watching the head start to move as a column of spandex clad dickheads ride under the tree...

I soon learned that ticking every box, JSA's/risk assessments, on-site toolbox meetings, putting out more signs than necessary, barrier tape, blocking access in every direction and not just the pathway etc was bare minimum.

And you just know who gets the blame when shitheads get squished

Good luck Jeff!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Yeah, we had some dude ride his bike by some signs, cones and tape and almost get clobbered. Ultimately, no matter how high he was it probably would have been our fault if he did.....

Ah, we are good, we just had our TCIA inspection 2 months ago,
He said he saw one of the groundies feed a branch into the chipper from behind and said he should feed it from the side, then went on to say that by law, if he see's something he feels is unsafe, he Must open an investigation,,young guy,and eager,,
He proceeded to get the chipper shut down and the names of the crew and ask them questions, you know, the questions like ,,How long have you worked here?, Does your company have safety meetings, etc,,,,,,,
When I showed up, he introduced himself and gave me a 'Request for Documents' and I took it and said 'ok',,,
All safety meetings from Jan.1 this year to present date., no problem,
One is for the Operating and Safety Manual for the chipper, it is a new Morbark, it is on the chipper!
We are good, it just seems like these guys have a quota or something,,
Jeff :confused:

It's a full time job ticking boxes and covering arses

warning - this sig causes splinters

Boy, that sucks. Those guys don't have a life or any real word experience. With all the fly bye night company's out there doing way out dangerous practices they want to cause problems with a first class outfit. I think I'd give up that account.

Latest posts

Back