Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the stuff.
Except Osage Orange grows crooked most of the time.
Dig a 24" diameter hole for a twisted 15" gate post.

We have traditionally used ,horn beam here for bow wood. Real strong,straight grained and very tough wood that has real good recovery after being flexed. Nearly impossible to split a stick straight across through the middle, it will slab around the outer diameter reasonably well.

We have traditionally used ,horn beam here for bow wood. Real strong,straight grained and very tough wood that has real good recovery after being flexed. Nearly impossible to split a stick straight across through the middle, it will slab around the outer diameter reasonably well.

Is that 'Hophornbeam'?

We have that, it seldom gets to 12" diameter until it just falls over.

Good hot burning stuff, very dense and heavy as **** even when dry.

Around here we call it 'ironwood'.

Is that 'Hophornbeam'?

We have that, it seldom gets to 12" diameter until it just falls over.

Good hot burning stuff, very dense and heavy as **** even when dry.

Around here we call it 'ironwood'.

I would think they are the same tree, they are quite scarce around here and were revered by our native peoples for bow construction. I bagged my first deer when I was 13 with a homemade longbow, handmade arrows with flaked flint heads. We had a native hunter that lived in a cabin at the very back fringes of the farm that I visited as often as time would allow and we made the bow together, I then made the arrows and heads myself and would take them along with me to get his criticism. After a few improvements on each successive arrow I got to where he only smiled and nodded his approval.

The beech we have here is like that, very dense and hot burning. Any more than four good sized chunks burned in succession in a cast iron stove and you have meltdown. I have forged with it many times back home on the farm, will turn steel yellow buttery hot with air induced. Chopped up green alder is also mighty hot burning, mixed in with cubed beech it gets metal hot in a hurry, hit the bellows and you have welding temps. Sure was a relief when we converted to an electric fan when I was 10 , that`s when the Power company wired us up for 60 amp service, two 30 amp screw in fuses for the main....LOL

We always called Alder "Biscuit Wood" because it is the best for bringing the oven temp to 450F in a hurry in a kitchen cookstove.....

We always called Alder "Biscuit Wood" because it is the best for bringing the oven temp to 450F in a hurry in a kitchen cookstove.....
For hot and quick to get other wood going we would have vines cut up.
Bigger than your wrist. First cut it would run water. Once dry it burned hot and fast. This is outside fires.
Hey all.

Latest posts

Back