Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4240de1bbdffbe7ac7618266b0d05231.jpg

I’ve been playing with a few saws. Restored this one

180ba862a9804ce944d61f3f6805b2af.jpg

d1184cf4f1980a246838a2e2cfc13222.jpg

340e1fd786c16ea47e1be051ae0949f3.jpg

Some more saws to follow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumpity Bump......Just got back from the island......hated to leave....very nice out there....humid but much cooler than the mainland.......85 degree 'Merican at 10:30 here this morning. Once I get the boat and trailer washed down with fresh water, flushed and all the camp gear unloaded and put away it'll be noon......don't think I'll get involved at the copper mine today!!! Go in early tomorrow and see how it goes.....the mine is located in a bottom low hole in the woods.......sun beams directly in on it and the trees block most of the wind......brutal....

Edward called this afternoon......met him at the shop at 5 pm....two more broked 562XPeez....man those boys are hard on gear.....but they really crank out the wood.....Edward claimed to was HOT today....they quit at 10 this morning....was only able to get out one 8 cord truck load of tree length an fit, split and deliver a 2 cord order of firewood by that time. Just two old fellas....Edward's my age and Jonny is but only 3 yrs younger.....

Now I got 3 broked 562XPs in the shop.......the first one has a stuck or broke ring....95 lbs of compression......one has a blown clutch and the third one may well be beyond all help....we'll see....told Edward to bring me another 8 cord load of tree length......hate to miss cutting in this heat.....yeah right!!!!

Edward called this afternoon......met him at the shop at 5 pm....two more broked 562XPeez....man those boys are hard on gear.....but they really crank out the wood.....Edward claimed to was HOT today....they quit at 10 this morning....was only able to get out one 8 cord truck load of tree length an fit, split and deliver a 2 cord order of firewood by that time. Just two old fellas....Edward's my age and Jonny is but only 3 yrs younger.....

Now I got 3 broked 562XPs in the shop.......the first one has a stuck or broke ring....95 lbs of compression......one has a blown clutch and the third one may well be beyond all help....we'll see....told Edward to bring me another 8 cord load of tree length......hate to miss cutting in this heat.....yeah right!!!!
You should be a 562 expert by the time you fix them all . LOL

You should be a 562 expert by the time you fix them all . LOL

Well there......got one 562 fixed....clutch wouldn't disengage but upon taking it apart it wasn't the clutch after all...it was the oil pump drive gear....it had gotten all fuzzed up for some reason and was locking the clutch up.....pulled one from one of the other beat one and the rim drive as well. Runs fine now.

So I pulled the jug off the nicest looking one that he brought first......Oh My.....the locating pin was AWOL.....ripped a deep grove in the cyl and piston....so then I pulled the cyl from the other low compression one....cyl looks great...piston is a tad ratty and it looks like the only place I can find a Meteor for the 562 is the Greek....I'll have to investigate this further....seems like someone on this side of the pond must have one....this one has main bearing issues.....I doubt Edward will have any interest in splitting the cases.......just have a new one delivered to the wood yard....so it looks like I can revive two out of three.....

I like to buy from Northwoods for AM stuff and they have a good selection of Meteor and Episan pistons.....but they only carry VEC pistons for the 562XP....seems pretty silly as they are a very popular model and this piston also fits the 555 560 and 562XP. Oh well got one coming from Chainsaw Conservation Components...tad more money but free shipping and be here in 3 daze....

Well there......got one 562 fixed....clutch wouldn't disengage but upon taking it apart it wasn't the clutch after all...it was the oil pump drive gear....it had gotten all fuzzed up for some reason and was locking the clutch up.....pulled one from one of the other beat one and the rim drive as well. Runs fine now.

So I pulled the jug off the nicest looking one that he brought first......Oh My.....the locating pin was AWOL.....ripped a deep grove in the cyl and piston....so then I pulled the cyl from the other low compression one....cyl looks great...piston is a tad ratty and it looks like the only place I can find a Meteor for the 562 is the Greek....I'll have to investigate this further....seems like someone on this side of the pond must have one....this one has main bearing issues.....I doubt Edward will have any interest in splitting the cases.......just have a new one delivered to the wood yard....so it looks like I can revive two out of three.....
2 out of three aint bad . LOL

Slow reporting in but just finished up a 3 day project of finding,cutting down and milling out 6 big bridge beams for the access road to my camp.The land owner next door took out the bridge hauling a 20+ton excavator on a float across it. After milling the beams up we bored and cross bolted them together,three to a set and then carried them up in the excavator bucket, set them in place and crossed the bridge with the excavator, held up fine. No problem crossing with the empty 9000 Ford dump truck.

Slow reporting in but just finished up a 3 day project of finding,cutting down and milling out 6 big bridge beams for the access road to my camp.The land owner next door took out the bridge hauling a 20+ton excavator on a float across it. After milling the beams up we bored and cross bolted them together,three to a set and then carried them up in the excavator bucket, set them in place and crossed the bridge with the excavator, held up fine. No problem crossing with the empty 9000 Ford dump truck.

Lot of work there!!! Did you deck it over or just drive on the two sets of three timbers??

Back when I ran my sawmill full time had a state forester who ran a pretty big logging outfit.....when the passed the laws stating you couldn't drive through any running water with trucks or skidders he had to build many bridges. He always used hemlock as it was strong and had little market value. He hauled truck load after truck load of it to my mill.....musta sawn 40-50,000 BFT for him. Lots of 20 foot 12 X 12s for stringers and 12 foot 6 X 8, for decking.....you could barely move the 6 X 8s by hand and the 12 X 12s could only be moved off the roll way with the loader. Stuff was brutally heavy right off the saw but I gotta say.....green Hemlock is the easiest wood I've ever sawn...pull the handle back all the way and let 'er rip with the blade completely buried. Just like a hot knife through butter. Fun stuff right there.....

Lot of work there!!! Did you deck it over or just drive on the two sets of three timbers??

Back when I ran my sawmill full time had a state forester who ran a pretty big logging outfit.....when the passed the laws stating you couldn't drive through any running water with trucks or skidders he had to build many bridges. He always used hemlock as it was strong and had little market value. He hauled truck load after truck load of it to my mill.....musta sawn 40-50,000 BFT for him. Lots of 20 foot 12 X 12s for stringers and 12 foot 6 X 8, for decking.....you could barely move the 6 X 8s by hand and the 12 X 12s could only be moved off the roll way with the loader. Stuff was brutally heavy right off the saw but I gotta say.....green Hemlock is the easiest wood I've ever sawn...pull the handle back all the way and let 'er rip with the blade completely buried. Just like a hot knife through butter. Fun stuff right there.....

We are just running on the beams for now, 30 +" wide but am looking for heavy I beam to rep[lace the whole shebang with,deck over again if we get I beam. I remember running Hemlock through the 20' Oxford, cut like cheese when green, talk about heavy. Had to be real careful when we cut two 20' footers into 20" X 30" bridge beams to cross the Moose Brook back at the farm, both trees were 48+" at the base and close to 70' tall all solid no rot. Pulled them out with the JD 450 in the winter on a tandem sleigh, loaded them into the mill with a bull moose, mechanical kind, not the animal type. Like the one below but a bit heavier all cast iron counter balance rear.

BULLMOOSE-BHCP-2036-Crane01.jpg

img.axd

Latest posts

Back