Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jerry! You are pretty fluent in Dolmar.......what do you know about the PS540? Good saw??
From what I have read and heard about that model it was all positive as a good well built reliable chainsaw. I own the earlier version in both the 110 and 115 models. The only things that I seen not so great were they have problems with leaking bar oil from the molded fitting through the oil tank wall and that the AV mounts are a thin hollow rubber type that rot out frequently, first set went at around 12 years old , replaced them and they been ok since.

I was given one a while back.......it is a drooler for sure but is otherwise in good looking condition. The PO tried, unsuccessfully, to put a fuel line in it and in frustration he called the closest dealer (in Bangor) and they told him it would be upwards of $150.00 to put a new fuel line in it so he said to heck with it and brought it to get rid of it. I haven't really looked at it yet but it looks to be a special line and a bit of disassembly required..........but not a $150.00 worth!!!

Yeah the special line has a molded in grommet affair that seals it to the tank outlet wall, not overly difficult to pull one in. Part number 965 404 460 last time I bought one for a 110. The 109, 110, 111 and 115 were all the same chassis, bigger cylinders from smallest to largest but some say the 540 was not built as well, I can`t see that as all the same parts fit from the 115 onto the 540.

Yeah the special line has a molded in grommet affair that seals it to the tank outlet wall, not overly difficult to pull one in. Part number 965 404 460 last time I bought one for a 110. The 109, 110, 111 and 115 were all the same chassis, bigger cylinders from smallest to largest but some say the 540 was not built as well, I can`t see that as all the same parts fit from the 115 onto the 540.
Yeah the manual he gave me with it covers the 109, 111i PS-540 and 115i.......just different carbs and P&C kits with the 540 being the biggest at 54cc

Yeah the manual he gave me with it covers the 109, 111i PS-540 and 115i.......just different carbs and P&C kits with the 540 being the biggest at 54cc
The 115 saws were great performers for me, I ended up with 4 of them over the years and did a lot of in the tree work , limbing and topping out standing trees. However once I began porting the Stihl 026`s , well you know, he,he,he, eh.

Yeah the special line has a molded in grommet affair that seals it to the tank outlet wall, not overly difficult to pull one in. Part number 965 404 460 last time I bought one for a 110. The 109, 110, 111 and 115 were all the same chassis, bigger cylinders from smallest to largest some say the 540 was not built as well, I can`t see that as all the same parts fit from the 115 onto the 540.
Yep.....I've done fuel lines on this series before......but we did have a local dealer in town and though he was not the dealer he was the main tech and was a friend. I , likely in good conscience can't just replace the fuel line, get it running, and just not get it back to the owner for a small fee.....dunno.....we'll see....got plenty of saws don't really need to muddy my waters......got 'nuff rebuilt good red saws on the shelf to last me out....and then some...

Well it looks like the foul weather of the week has departed.....clear now but wind is stihl howling. Dave and I are gonna try for an island run tomorrow to take out supplies and bail the skiff.....must be half full of water by now.....or maybe sunk...nevah know until I round the head and can put eyes in the harbor...ruff place this tyme of year. Just be a day trip....'spose to rain all weekend...again....

Hey Lee!!!! Long time no see!!! How are things on the farm?? And the little ones? And Kelly?? And, and. And??
We’re doing well! Except for a four year old tyrant running around the house. We’ve been incredibly busy this year and increased our hay acreage. Planning to put up a pole barn this spring for more storage. Making room for more tractors.
How are you and Marcie doing?

We’re doing well! Except for a four year old tyrant running around the house. We’ve been incredibly busy this year and increased our hay acreage. Planning to put up a pole barn this spring for more storage. Making room for more tractors.
How are you and Marcie doing?
We’re doing pretty well…. On the island presently enjoying a stretch of fine weather. Are you doing round bales or square? We had a wicked drought here in the east last year an everyone ran out of hay buy New Years…. Was real touch and go for awhile to keep Hoss fed properly. Maine generally relays on NB and NS for extra hay but the climate was the same so they were out too!! Prices were around $10.00 a bale for like a 30” square bale!!

Glad you’ve guys are doing well too. Durn kid grow up fast!! Dave and I were out to the island a couple weeks ago and he asked about the daughter…. I said she was still in Portland Or. Got home that afternoon and come to find out she had flown right over the island that afternoon on her way to London for her work!!!!

We’re doing pretty well…. On the island presently enjoying a stretch of fine weather. Are you doing round bales or square? We had a wicked drought here in the east last year an everyone ran out of hay buy New Years…. Was real touch and go for awhile to keep Hoss fed properly. Maine generally relays on NB and NS for extra hay but the climate was the same so they were out too!! Prices were around $10.00 a bale for like a 30” square bale!!

Glad you’ve guys are doing well too. Durn kid grow up fast!! Dave and I were out to the island a couple weeks ago and he asked about the daughter…. I said she was still in Portland Or. Got home that afternoon and come to find out she had flown right over the island that afternoon on her way to London for her work!!!!
For $10/bale I’ll send a few semi trailers! We did just shy of 5000 small bales this year. Nothing too outrageous but enough to keep us busy.
London?! That sounds fun. What’s she going across the pond?

For $10/bale I’ll send a few semi trailers! We did just shy of 5000 small bales this year. Nothing too outrageous but enough to keep us busy.
London?! That sounds fun. What’s she going across the pond?
She works for a group called Verto Education. It helps young students with taking a gap year and still making some credits if their grades were sufficient and they do something useful in that gap year like volunteer work etc. it global so she travels a bit…… has no office….. works remote from wherever

Got in 3 days of excellent weather and times at the lake, though cold weather is coming fast so all things with water in them have been drained for this season. The lake will still be liquid for another couple months, take quite a while to freeze 60 - 140 feet deep of fresh water.

Got in 3 days of excellent weather and times at the lake, though cold weather is coming fast so all things with water in them have been drained for this season. The lake will still be liquid for another couple months, take quite a while to freeze 60 - 140 feet deep of fresh water.
I'm not sure that is how water freezing works.

In that line I think water is the only thing that expands and becomes lighter due to cold weather/freezing and icing. Life on earth, as we know it, would be impossible otherwise.

Latest posts

Back