Surprize when I got home tonight!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ayoob is good reading. Nobody should consider carrying without getting that level of advice. What you heard down at the gun shop or on some Internet forum is not quite good enough.

Now, if you want some FREEBIE good reading of that caliber, check this out:

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/quips.html

John is one of the few no BS, open minded, meat and taters, instructors out there.

If anyone gets the chance to train with him, or his wife Vicky, I highly suggest they jump on it.

Lotsa good tools to add to the toolbox mentally, get handed out in Johns classes.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Wow! This post is not about firewood really, but is a concern for all of us, and obviously stirred the pot a bit with really good stuff to think about. Something I did do, I felt I needed to do something, and was uncertain if it was a good idea or bad. I painted "attempted B & E 8:15pm 11/6" on an 8' 2 x 12 screwed to a saw horse at the end of the drive. We live on a deadend road with maybe 100-150 homes on various deadens and culvesacs. I asked my son what he thought. He said you might actually get a pissed off neighbor with a home for sale. Never thought of that, but that's why I asked. People have been stopping on the road, blowing by and backing up, one neighbor stopped when he saw me doing wood. Another woman we know was jogging and talked with Margaret. Said thank you, the whole neighborhood is talking. She thought it was really good. Although I may be in trouble with one guy who does not live on our road. He had a clients trailer stollen from the shop, also where he lives, last week and did not say anything to his wife because, it seems, he didn't want to worry her. Well, she teaches piano to kids around here and the women got talking about what's new. Anyway, I am leaving the sign out through the weekend for the cottage people. Note: The tiny coffee shop in Douglas was broke into and robbed this past week. Thank you all for posting... On a positive note, the weather is incredible and I love doing wood. Trying out my new Mingo today, per others suggestions on this site to get one. Put an 18" wheel in it and ran it on a 2 x 4 last night. I think I'm going to like it a lot. Marking paint; sign making; everyone in business need advertising on their truck...

I thought the act of "brandishing" is generally when on public or "not your" properties. On your own property, where it's legal to own the firearm, you don't have to hide it. If I find a vehicle in the driveway, day or night, and my "spidey-senses" start to tingle, my Sig P220 is out and ready to protect me & mine. Sometimes it is visible to the unknown visitor, sometimes it isn't. Some of my wife's friends have shared their ignorant opinions about me being overly paranoid, but she's quick to explain how much better she sleeps at night knowing the likely-hood of being a statistic is much lower due to being ready and willing. Hope it never happens, but staying vigilant is something that comes easier the more you practice it.

Of course, nothing stopped someone(s) from stealing 2 aluminum ladders from behind the shop 2 weeks ago. Only way to see the ladders would have been to be walking on our property behind the shop to even know they were there. How much would it cost to install motion sensors/lights on 2.5 acres? I don't think I'm the only one here that REALLY gets pi$$ed off when someone takes stuff that ain't theirs.......

I play the banjo and drape dead cats over my mailbox.
A gate and a dog, should help with the too convenient drive by.

Thats a good idea, you could just become the creapy guy on the block with the scary house and not have to worry. Everyone elses home will look alot more inviting than yours

I thought the act of "brandishing" is generally when on public or "not your" properties. .

Nope. You can brandish anywhere.

On your own property, where it's legal to own the firearm, you don't have to hide it. .

Brandishing is more than just NOT hiding it. The bad news is, it's one of those things that is open to interpretation, which means, a lot depends on the officers on scene and the local police chief/sheriff and the prosecutor. these guys set the tone, and the cop on site makes the call to arrest or not.

He does so based on his own biases (anti-gun or pro-gun), his boss's biases, your attitude, and, oh yeah, the circumstances of the incident.

In a liberal environment, jsut holding a gun pointed nowhere but at the ground - your OWN ground - get you arrested for felony brandishing.

Other places, you might rack a round in a chamber and point it at somebody's face and the only thing that would happen is the deputy says, '"Don't do that again, Bob."

Nope. You can brandish anywhere.

Brandishing is more than just NOT hiding it. The bad news is, it's one of those things that is open to interpretation, which means, a lot depends on the officers on scene and the local police chief/sheriff and the prosecutor. these guys set the tone, and the cop on site makes the call to arrest or not.

He does so based on his own biases (anti-gun or pro-gun), his boss's biases, your attitude, and, oh yeah, the circumstances of the incident.

In a liberal environment, jsut holding a gun pointed nowhere but at the ground - your OWN ground - get you arrested for felony brandishing.

Other places, you might rack a round in a chamber and point it at somebody's face and the only thing that would happen is the deputy says, '"Don't do that again, Bob."

I agree its definately one of those gray area thing open for the officers interpetation! And the chief/sherriff will most likely set the tone in the area! Thankfully we have a conservative sherriff that believes strongly in concealed carry and a persons property rights!

I'm not going to sleep well. Gone all day and came home after dark, 8:15, 8:20 pm. or so. 350' driveway and dark, but there was a pickup in front of the garage and the brake lights came on as he backed and turned 90 degrees, then the headlights came on. I blocked him in and asked the stranger what he was doing, in the dark, in my driveway. Said he saw a for sale sign out front! (in the dark!) There is one, a quarter mile away, on the corner, for several places down the road. Asked him for his drivers license and he got ####ty. He backed up and got around my car but I got his plate and called the sheriffs dept. When the sheriff came he had already run the plate. Hmmm. Said they would look him up and have a little chat...

So what do you guys do to protect yourselves? With most of the leaves down my splitter and conveyor are more noticeble from the road. And if you read between the lines, there are chain saws close by. I had already pulled the tonge out of the conveyor, but the engine is easily accessable. Pulled the hitch coupler from the tonge of the splitter a month ago, but same with the Honda engine, accessable. Four bolts and the love joy coupling slips apart. Pull the wheels I suppose, and trade our Golden for a Doberman. The dog was with me so it would not have mattered.

It is a wake-up call anyway, and a bad economy.... So what do you guys do?

It is getting bad. Had a very disturbing experience up on the mountain ( am under contract with the USDF for fuelwood production) a truck w/ a bunch of low-lifes came up and said "we are looking for oak" when they just drove by a nice pile on a fire road. My point.... I have my S&W 40 in my chaps pocket!! Cocked, Locked, ready to ROCK!! Don't let the criminals steal youre peace. God bless all..

109 postings almost all American and guns, dogs and rocking chairs are the best that can be done.

What about a good ol' fashion ars whoopin' up here in Canada they won't let us kill the bastards we gotta let the LAW deal with em' WELL I SAY HELL NO lets kick some thievin' ASS!!!

Most interesting practical thread in a long time...for most with property, homes, exposure to crime.

Marc and others brought up training for emergency actions. A firearm is no help IF you're not practiced and trained to react immediately in the correct way. Sometimes NOT reacting at all IF you're not in danger is best. Trained and prepared to react unemotionally and fast is operative here. For most of you not having gone through mil combat training or defense programs for armed and unarmed civilians, just thinking about what to do is dangerous. For most in the military, most training is only for a specific non combat specialty MOS such as mechanics, clerical, or medical, not combat. Support in the military is the about 11 out of 12 NOT in actual combat or trained.

A choice is made how you'll react to a situation: fight, flight, or submit; there are NO other choices armed or unarmed. While we choose not to carry, the mental prep for what to do in a situation of confrontation will always be there.
It is all I have by choice. In any serious confrontation you only have seconds to do something; in all mil and civilian training it is those initial moments for action that you have prepared for long ago. Home, street, parking lot, on the road, in a store .

The only real analogy for me is climbing: what do you do when sh__ happens ? Protection fails, your belayer faints, lines break. Have you practiced that emergency with what you carry on the rock or ice ? Are you mentally prepped for taking charge of your life. No exaggeration. Things happen fast, your brain needs to do the same.

No macho in these situations.

JMNSHO

Oh cummon wheres your sense of humor. If thieves did the same training as a marine then the only logical answer is insurance. Locks and lights only stop the nice people, crooks will always find a way. But every now and then WAMMO you catch one right in the kisser.

Latest posts

Back