Swapped them over to 8-pin rims

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im very happy running the 325 20 inch on my 036 and the 362 but i just put a 3/8 36 inch semi skip b&c on my 066 i guess i should take that to a 7 pin ?????

im very happy running the 325 20 inch on my 036 and the 362 but i just put a 3/8 36 inch semi skip b&c on my 066 i guess i should take that to a 7 pin ?????

Try it first buried in hardwood and see how she rocks.

Run whatever floats the boat... So many variables and haven't even brought skip into the equation, how heavy handed a person is, raker heights, hard or soft wood. Definately fun to mess around with though. I like 7 full comp or 8 skip myself, but most all we cut is oak and I get heavy handed at times.:cool2:

Don't forget, if you change chain pitch, the diameter of the sprocket changes as well.....ie, an 8 pin .404 rim is quite a bit larger in diameter than an 8 pin 3/8" rim.

Tony

Of course, a .325x8 is about the same gearing as a 3/8x7, and a .325x9 and 3/8x8 is even closer.

Also remember that it isn't the rim diameter that counts, but the diameter that the chain rivets are at. That's why 3/8 lopro/Picco rims need to be larger than regular 3/8 rims, and it is a bad idea to use the wrong one.

Last edited:
I've always liked running a 8 pin on a MS 361 with a 18" and a 8 pin on the Simonized 460 with a 24" bar. It also really shines with the 261's with a 16" bar. I've played back and forth with 7 and 8 pins with several bar lenghts, it just depends on the set up whether you'll see gains or not, no long than it takes to switch out rims it worth the time to play around.

Latest posts

Back