Sweet Gum Advice Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your neighbour is gonna be sorry about those two disgusting juvenile Queen Palms stuck between the fence and the house. (see 2nd pic)

I'd be culling them before they get big asap.

Oh, we call those trees Liquidambers. Invasive protruding surface roots, might pay to set up a root barrier now that way you wont have to worry about containing or cutting them later.

I'll see what he says about the roots, but are you sure about the depth? Isn't that the flare near the bottom? There is also a couple inches of mulch there.

That looks to be a drain line. The kind used on foundation drains ....usually perforated pipe to take the water away from the foundation and off the property. Also used in french drains. Maybe there was a problem with standing water there and they put in the drains, then the trees.

Liquidambar....beautiful trees, but messy, with roots strong enough to break up and lift concrete, and they will break it when they get big enough. A mature tree will literally raise itself (and the surrounding earth) up about a foot or so from grade with it's massive root system. Beautiful lush foliage is the reward for those willing to put up with them. You can literally feel the cool air coming from a mature liquidambar foliage on a hot day.

I was actually referring to the flare on the tree since the other person said it was planted too deep. I don't think so actually, what do you think?

As for your opinion on how they are beautiful and cool, I completely agree. That's what I love about them. They also have such a fresh green color. I've heard that about the roots though. I guess I'm willing to take the chance.

Lola said:
I was actually referring to the flare on the tree since the other person said it was planted too deep. I don't think so actually, what do you think?

As for your opinion on how they are beautiful and cool, I completely agree. That's what I love about them. They also have such a fresh green color. I've heard that about the roots though. I guess I'm willing to take the chance.

I'm not an arborist, but it looks OK to me. As I said, these liquidambars raise themselves up the older (and bigger) they get anyways....so even if it was I don't see it being a little "too low" as even being a problem.

I'm in the process of digging out the stump of a (formerly beautiful) 80' liquidambar now....and the root system is amazingly massive. The evidence indicates that the tree was poisoned by someone (not the owner) who didn't like it on the property line.

We found out the 'drain' isn't even a drain, it's part of the irrigation to deep water the tree. It's not currently attached to any of the sprinkler lines, but it was reccommended to me that I could put a hose in there to deep water.

We don't use any kind of pesticides on the lawn, since we have a dog.

Hi All,

Well I had my appointment with the Arborist today. As it turned out, my trees are too wet. The deep watering pipes are collecting overspray from the lawn sprinklers, so no additional hose watering is needed. (I had been deep watering 1 or 2 times per month) Other than that he said three of my trees are healthy, and the one that I photographed is in distress, but should recover if I can dry it out a bit. He also suggested grow power furtilizer along with urea nitrogen 46-0-0 to give them a boost.

He said they were all disease free and there was no issue with girdling roots. He also said they were planted properly, not too deep, and he could tell the soil had been amended, as it was good even at a depth of 5' (none of our native clay soil was present).

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and advice. I really appreciate the help.

Lola

Lola said:
Hi All,
He also suggested grow power furtilizer along with urea nitrogen 46-0-0 to give them a boost.
Lola

What's the soil PH?

Dan, I'd say that being in the growing season the guy is thinking high N to bring on a flush of growth but at the same time it could be detrimental to the tree.

Not something I'd do but that species is pretty tough.

The nitrogen was in addition to the "Gro Power Plus 5-3-1" for general fertilizing. He said to use it in a ratio of 60/40 with the 60% being the grow power. Does that change your opinion? I felt lucky to get him as a consultant, as his company is very well respected and established. Although everyone can make a mistake, I just wanted you to know that it wasn't a fly-by-night company.

What do you suggest?

Last edited:
My neighbor did a soil test and it came up as fairly neutral, a 6 I believe.

The Arborist did mention that the nitrogen would be good to give it a boost.

I didn't think to ask how much to do. I'll have to call him. Do you have a reccommendation? I also called the nursery to see if they had the n and they only have a milder concentration. So in light of what you just said, perhaps I'll start small and work up if it responds well.

I never knew it was so complicated to care for a tree!

Thank you!

I am now more confused than ever!!!

I went to the nursery to pick the urea nitrogen. They strongly urged me not to use the nitrogen along with the grow power, as it would burn the tree (or so they say). They recommended a hormone called superthrive to use along with the grow power instead.

I am now paralized with indecision. Treeco, you were pretty against the nitrogen, if this were your tree what would you do to improve it's health?

Thank you

PS: I asked the consulting arborist to confirm what he said, and this was his response: "Sulpher coated Urea is not a water soluable source of Nitrogen & therefore pretty safe to use". Apparently he's been doing this for years with success.

Last edited:
Actually no, I forgot about that part and didn't mention it to the nursery either. Did I just avoid a huge error? So in light of the correct terminology, it sounds like you now approve of the method? :biggrinbounce2:

If indeed the trees are overwatered then theoretically there should be an oversupply resources available to support a flush of growth.

Trees need the foliage to photosynthasise, the more leaves the more transpiration the more energy to grow and so on.

So, in the short term to solve the problem growth would be good. However with a drought affected tree with no resources and limited stored supplies it may lead to it's demise.

In the long term, use organic fertilizers and work on creating the right soil conditions for the trees to prosper.

I agree with 12guns cut em all down. I live in Florida and these things are a nuisance and everywhere. Plant something more attractive like a yellow poplar, maple, or cherry. The bad part is once you cut them down you start to see volunteers everywhere. Sorry guys I don't like them.

KLBCCTALLY1 said:
I agree with 12guns cut em all down. I live in Florida and these things are a nuisance and everywhere. Plant something more attractive like a yellow poplar, maple, or cherry. The bad part is once you cut them down you start to see volunteers everywhere. Sorry guys I don't like them.
Arborphobia rears its ugly head again. how can someone in Florida tell someone in California that a species is trash?

Not to mention, how can anyone anywhere look at a sweetgum with its fall color and say it is not attractive?

Lola look to the root system and see that it is healthy and functioning before dosing it. If your local arborist has good referrals then he's earned some trust.

Thanks for the encouragment and advice. I've got to agree that the fall color is spectacular and even throughout the year the leaf color is such a fresh bright green. It's a beautiful tree.

KLB; why the negativity? That really doesn't help anyone...

Last edited:
They're one of the very few species around these parts that give fall colour. And they have a very symetrical shape, easy for kids to climb (and rookie tree guys I suppose) ... in the right spot they're great.

Just the roots need room, and a mulch circle is required so you dont get annoyed with those gum balls.

People knock our salt tolerant seaside Casuarina's for their prickly gum balls too, but I can tell you that it's better than nothing for shade coz not much else will live there.

Just gotta have ya thongs on when at the beach.

Back