Sweet gum treating me right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those itchy balls really come flying out from under the deck of a riding mower. :)

I guess it depends on what area of the country a person
is from -- what they call a tree. Around here we call a
Pecan Tree - Pecan Tree (Pronounced Pecon). Others around the country call it a Pe Can Tree.

One thing about it they all burn in my stove. :clap:

I clicked on the link to the Sweet Gum Maple Pics. Some weren't Sweet Gum, had different leaves, no balls. None had scientific names, just pics posted by people who called them Sweet Gum Maples. Any link with scientific info and names say Sweet Gum (Liquidamber) is in the witch-hazel family. Maples are " Acers ". Google "Differences Between Maples & Sweet Gum". I think we are all talking about the same tree, just calling it different names. If it fits in the stove burn it. For a couple years I burned nothing but "Pallet" trees. I had a little pallet recycling gig going, and the ones too broke up to use went in the stove. Always dry, no bark or mud, burned hot, loved them, Joe.

I've burned plenty of those pallets when I used to have a barrel stove in my shop. This was about 15 years ago and I still have a big bucket full of the twisted nails I screened from the ashes.:)

Them dang stupid son of a guns are all over the place here. Stupid balls are annoying.

If you can split those by hand it is not the same tree. The ones here laugh at a fiskars and bend the 8 pound mauls.

I made the mistake of cutting down a big one and trying to split it by hand. I won't do that again. Now I find as many as I can that will fit in the stove unsplit, cut them and burn them jokers up!!!!!!!!

Them dang stupid son of a guns are all over the place here. Stupid balls are annoying.

If you can split those by hand it is not the same tree. The ones here laugh at a fiskars and bend the 8 pound mauls.

I made the mistake of cutting down a big one and trying to split it by hand. I won't do that again. Now I find as many as I can that will fit in the stove unsplit, cut them and burn them jokers up!!!!!!!!

If you let them sit a real long time in the round you can hand split them then. Fresh cut green sucks.

If you let them sit a real long time in the round you can hand split them then. Fresh cut green sucks.

I ended up letting sit in the 20" round for a year and tried again. I think mine sprouted straight from the depths of hell!!!!

I finally took care of them with a borrowed splitter.

Them dang stupid son of a guns are all over the place here. Stupid balls are annoying. If you can split those by hand it is not the same tree. The ones here laugh at a fiskars and bend the 8 pound mauls. I made the mistake of cutting down a big one and trying to split it by hand. I won't do that again.

I ended up letting sit in the 20" round for a year and tried again. I think mine sprouted straight from the depths of hell!!!! I finally took care of them with a borrowed splitter.

QFT. A devil to split by hand, just like sycamore, or elm. I did the same thing you did,,,borrowed a splitter. A few weeks later I had one of my own.

i split a cord of it up last month, green. put a hurting on my fiskars. it was free and bucked already, dumped in my yard, so how can i pass that up?
glad to be splitting oak again.

Latest posts

Back