swing mill blade drive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttoberer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what transfers the power from the engine to the blade on a swing mill? I thought maybe it was a hydraulic motor, but on the demo dvds I have from lucas and peterson I cant really make it out. im actually stupid enough to think I might want to build one, really I just want one badly, but dont have 15 to 20 grand lying around.:jawdrop: Tim

I guess id have to see a picture of that, not sure how you could "swing" a belted gear box? here the smallest lucas is $14,995 at baileys.

what transfers the power from the engine to the blade on a swing mill? I thought maybe it was a hydraulic motor, but on the demo dvds I have from lucas and peterson I cant really make it out. im actually stupid enough to think I might want to build one, really I just want one badly, but dont have 15 to 20 grand lying around.:jawdrop: Tim

Im pretty sure that the drive is through a right angle gearbox that pivots on its input axis.
Imagine a horizontal belt driven shaft. From this is a ninety degree out put shaft that the blade is attached. The whole assembly can swing through ninety degrees on the input axis.
Clear??
Regards Whitworthsocket

after thinking about it for more than 2 seconds, I figured it out. simple yet brilliant! anyone know what kind of rpms for a 6 or 8 in. mills blade?

Latest posts

Back