switching case halves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they are the same brand and model, then it will be fine.

Kind of the point of the new industrial age.....

Hey man taboo or not I do it all the time here in the woods. I think as long as you take your time and match the halves when you go to put it back together it'll be cool. Be sure to get new gaskets and I use Indian Head sealant on mine and have never had a problem yet. But as you know things will happen. Good luck with it. I'm gonna sit back and see who all trashes me for using miss matched cases.

Yes, many brands use an old jewish woman to match the halves, but Stihl
uses Mexicans that live in Virginia..........political reasons......

I guess the question is.... are the case halves line bored at the factory like an automotive engine, or do they just grab the case halves out of a bin and bolt them together?

One of the most knowledgeable folks on this forum told me that most Husky cases will match up OK. I have done it on 365/372's with no problems yet. Apparently some of the Stihls, especially the ones with very long production runs, have quite a bit of variance in the cases. If you are going to mix Stihl cases, I would suggest trying to use ones that are manufactured around the same time. Supposedly they are line bored and that is whey there is not a number for individual case halves.

If its a 361 and the case halves line up even where the cylinder base meets the cases then I would assemble and run it like you stole it. I have 7-8 saws out there working that I built from different unmatched case halves, some are close to 10 years of run time on them now and they are still going.
Pioneerguy600

technically you should never mix case halves. They are machined at the factory as a mating set. This keeps the proper tolerance for bearings and sealing rings where they contact the case halves. You could do it in a pinch but I would not recommend it on engines that rev 10 000 + RPM.

stevo

technically you should never mix case halves. They are machined at the factory as a mating set. This keeps the proper tolerance for bearings and sealing rings where they contact the case halves. You could do it in a pinch but I would not recommend it on engines that rev 10 000 + RPM.

stevo

I got a 372 with a 2171 PTO case half and a 365 flywheel side half. Why do they sell them as single parts? if they don't match up?:cheers:

Howdy,
Manufacturers don't sell crankcase halves individually and all recommend that they are replaced as a unit. I think you have a pretty good shot at not having issues with mix and match. I think it's fine if you want to roll the dice with a saw you're going to run personally but, to do this just to sell a saw would be in poor taste unless the new user totally understood the ramifications.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
Manufacturers don't sell crankcase halves individually and all recommend that they are replaced as a unit. I think you have a pretty good shot at not having issues with mix and match. I think it's fine if you want to roll the dice with a saw you're going to run personally but, to do this just to sell a saw would be in poor taste unless the new user totally understood the ramifications.
Regards
Gregg

Shindaiwa has always sold case halves individually and state in their manuals that there is no need to replace as a set on their equipment, due to their crankcases being fully machined instead of split. In other words, they are not manufactured as a set, but individually.

I've run across case halves with the same part # but different versions which were not interchangeable.

The early 181's as a case in-point. So to speak. :)

Back