switching case halves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 361 crankcase halves are sold seperate and are not a matched pair. There a couple other models being made the same way. You can replace one side and not have to worry about if it will match.

Howdy,
Manufacturers don't sell crankcase halves individually and all recommend that they are replaced as a unit. I think you have a pretty good shot at not having issues with mix and match. I think it's fine if you want to roll the dice with a saw you're going to run personally but, to do this just to sell a saw would be in poor taste unless the new user totally understood the ramifications.
Regards
Gregg

Well some do some don't. You would have to look at a specific saw's IPL to tell. If the case halves are listed with separate part#s from the dealers then I see no problem swapping out a damaged half. However if the saw company only lists one part # for both sides I would say no. Example; all the older "pure" Jonsereds 49 ,52,621,70E etc list separate #s for each side. However the later 625, 630, 670 (Husky) Jonsereds list both halves as one #
So I would have no problem replacing just one half of the true Jonsereds but would definately get a completely different set of cases for the later Husky/Jonsereds. That said you still might be able get away with replacing just half but could very well run the risk of failure. Not worth it IMHO!!:cheers:

Howdy,
I guess I shouldn't have been so black and white. The vast majority can't be purchased separately, or should be mixed for sale.
Regards
Gregg

I got a 372 with a 2171 PTO case half and a 365 flywheel side half. Why do they sell them as single parts? if they don't match up?:cheers:

I don't know it will be some dumb engineer that made the call on that one. Ive worked with mechanical design engineers and they make a lot of assumptions. Most of them don't have a lot of hands on experience out on the floor, they are just good at engineering theory and calculating stuff out. But it don't always work trust me. If you ever look at an engineering drawing down in the info box you will often see the drawing has been revised. I personally would not use 2 seperate case halves. You never do that in a high performance racing 2-stroker. I know it's just a chainsaw but the principal still holds true.

Last edited:
Back