switching from .404 to .375

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeSurfer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
im gonna get a new 36" bar and chain combo from baileys and a new sprocket to make the change because .375 seems to be more readily available then .404 is.
i have never used a .375 set up. how does it compare to .404?

Last edited:
this is for my 394 husqy that came with a used bar. after buying a new replacemtn sprocket i realized just how work the bar is and decided to just get a new bar and chain all together.

i run full skip round chisel .63

What type of timber, hard or soft, dirty of clean. .375 isn't going to stay as sharp for as long as a 3/8 .63 and a .404 on a 394xp that's nuts.

3/8 .63 stays sharper? i had no idea. and yeah my saw came with .404. the previous owner was a PNW timber faller. id say i cut more hard woods then soft.

ikr? how does he driver teeth have anything to do with the cutters? i think proper depth rakers makes more of a difference then the drivers would haha

For hard wood (which is all i cut) 3/8 .063 free hand filed to 7/32(.404) will out cut .050 and .404 for longer and i usually get 1.5-2 tanks from a chain compared to 1 tank on the 056 mag2, this is all i can say I'm no chain expert this is just what i've experienced.

so, 375 will have a more torque then 3/8 because of its larger drive teeth but 3/8 will have a faster chain speed. am i correct?

375 is 3/8..... If you have the power 404 is the best chain... But like you said it isn't available everywhere.

.375 is cheaper and easier for me to get.

Going full skip to full skip you will pick up a few cutters with .375.

I would still be running .404 if it was not so expensive but the .375 provides a better value when the numbers get crunched.

id like to stick with .404 but im running into a hard time finding a 100 drive link .404 bar in .63. can someone help me find one?

another thing is that 404 seems to not come in medium bar sizes like 24" and 28". the current bar on this saw is a 95 DL 32" bar.

Last edited:
For hard wood (which is all i cut) 3/8 .063 free hand filed to 7/32(.404) will out cut .050 and .404 for longer and i usually get 1.5-2 tanks from a chain compared to 1 tank on the 056 mag2, this is all i can say I'm no chain expert this is just what i've experienced.

WHAT???? A chain only last you from 1 to two tanks? Is that between sharpenings or replacing? I sharpen my chains after I notice them getting dull but that can be several tankfulls unless I ground it or hit an old nail or fence wire thats grown upn in the tree. I've cut all day before without sharpening.

Last edited:
WHAT???? A chain only last you from 1 to two tanks? Is that between sharpenings or replacing? I sharpen my chains after I notice them getting dull but that can be several tankfulls unless I ground it or hit an old nail or fence wire thats grown upn in the tree. I've cut all day before without sharpening.

You've obviously never cut Aussie hard woods, and it's between sharpening.

Latest posts

Back