sycamore as framing material

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty12

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have alot of large straight sycamores on my property. I was thinking about milling them into 2 x 4 s for framing the inside of my barn (into a living area). More or less a sub. for store bought pine wood.

will this work or is the wood not good for this use?

Thanks if anybody knows.

If it stays dry it is as good as any. I have framed with basswood, cottonwood and elm. I use construction screws to hold it together. Some of the elm and other woods will split if nails are used.

I'd bandsaw those logs into "nice" QS lumber, sell it and use part of the $$ to buy construction lumber...

I sure wouldn't be afraid to build with it though, but you may have some problems getting it to dry straight when you flat saw it...

Rob

Thanks for the info. I only have a CSM so the bandsaw is not an option. I was told that sycamore is almost worthless when trying to sell.

Maybe thats not true. Come to think of it, a guy who wanted to log my land told me that.

Funny that the guys who tell you your trees aren't worth anything, still can't wait to cut 'em down and take 'em away.

Ain't that the truth. Have a situation just like this I am in right now in the Forestry and Logging Forum. Nobody wants to give me anything for the hemlock, but almost everyone says they will take it to help me get rid of it!

Here in Missouri almost all of the old farm houses are framed with sycamore. Keep it dry as it rots easily.

Ain't that the truth. Have a situation just like this I am in right now in the Forestry and Logging Forum. Nobody wants to give me anything for the hemlock, but almost everyone says they will take it to help me get rid of it!

Hemlock is going for less than $100/mbf delivered to the mill. I think you are getting a decent price considering the fuel costs. You will probably make $5-600 a triaxle load.

Back