Systemics for bagworms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan F

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
At work, we have recently been introduced a product (I believe going by the name of AceCap) that is a systemic insecticide (Orthene, I think is the main chemical). The product is applied by drilling a 3/8" hole in the trunk every 10" around the trunk and inserting a plastic capsule. The capsule is left in the trunk which will eventually seal over.

My question is this: It is labeled for bagworms, but how effective are they? Are there other systemics that work better? Other methods of application of effective systemics? I know it won't really hurt the tree to leave the capsule in the trunk, but I really don't like the thought of leaving it there.

I know spraying works (from all accounts, Talstar hammered 'em last year!), however, we don't have the equipment or the money to buy the equipment needed to get to the top of some of the trees that will need treatment. Basically, if at all possible, we don't want to have to buy a John Bean sprayer if we can at all avoid it!

Any insights? Or is the jury still out on these?

Dan

Others may be able to give you a more informed opinion. Personally, I am not sold on the entire idea of drilling and inserting or injecting. Those are wounds that may seal over but they never "heal". Columns of dead wood in a stem near the base just don't make sense to me when they can be avoided.

That was my thought too. I especially don't like the thought of a 3/8" hole being drilled, when I know there are other products out there that are applied in a similar manner, but they don't stay in the tree and require a MUCH smaller hole....

Dan

Dan,
Talk to Tim D.(4-3100) about the systemics and the capsules. We gave up using the inserts 5-6 years ago because we didn't care for the holes either. However we do have a good sprayer so we had other options.....
Dad

I tried the MedCap treatments when I was with TG/CL. it is not only the size of the hloe needed, but the number that disturb me.

I'm all for injections when it is the only way to help the tree or make it aestheticly acceptable. Elm for DED and Sycamore for anthracnose respictively. In this case, using Arbotech you at least have a 3 year residual.

With acephate you have around a 30 day halflife to the product, and on a 20 in DBH tree you need to put in 6-3/8 in holes spiralling up the trunk, relying on normal sapflow to translocate the product up to the treatment area.

With bagworm you can use a soap spray on the nest area alone and be just as effective.

If you have an area with severe deffoliation, look into a soil injectable systemic like merit. I could not get to Bayer's lable search engin to see if bagworm is listed though.

Latest posts

Back