T540 XP Winter Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myles26

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I live in Canada up North and the temps with windshield make for some very cold conditions.

I recently purchased the T540 and it came with a "Winter Kit" which consisted of a plastic blue cover. Husq suggests this cover be installed when the temp dips below - 5 C.

My question to anybody but more specifically owners is how did you install this cover and did you notice it helped with performance?

I took my T540 out yesterday and it was about - 26 not sure what the windshield was but I had no issues with the chainsaw starting up or running. Temps usually hover in the 30's with the wind.

I will try it with the cover on to see if there is a difference next time out.

The directions for the blue cover as far as I understand would have you drill two holes in the air intake cover in order to latch the bottom and screw the top of the blue cover to the intake cover.

Who wants to drill holes into their brand new saw? The kit is ill thought out as the pre drilled holes and hardware supplied are too big. Hole placement is poor and will lead to compromised integrity of the plastic cover.

I called Husqvarna Canada and after confirming I had the right kit they had no answers. Was ridiculous.

Might as well make Red Green proud and slap a piece of duct tape on it already. Wtf?

Thanks

Many manual tuned saws have a flap you flip to help with winter running. The flap directs cylinder cooling air to the carb box. This helps prevent carb icing. I don't know if Autotune have this feature but its worth a look. It is located in the top cover, the flap open directs the air into the carb box. oops I forgot the 540 is a top handle and probably don't have this

I find that Husqvarna has neglected winter use, odd for a northern climate country.

I did drill holes into my brand new T540. Sucks, but did it anyway. I also have to drill the cover for my 562XP...odd. Even the big saw. There is something else that requires some damage, with fix, But I haven't bothered. If its that cold, I'm not working. JK

DSCF0007.JPG

This is the inside of a T540 recoil housing. At the end of the pen there is a round reinforced piece along with another to the left of the recoil pulley. These are the drill guides and the portion that the screws screw into. It doesn't comprise the integrity of the housing. The larger holes on the cover are for those whose drilling ability may be a little off.

Does it just block off cooling air, or does it somehow direct warm air to the carb?

Latest posts

Back