Tachometer Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my new EZ Tach...
Checked the RPM of my 026...
I guess I wasn't near as good at tuning by ear as I thought I was...
It was running 14,000 RPM...
Specs call for 13,000...

Best 50 bucks I've spent in a long time.

is that the electronic specialties ez tach plus? i was just looking at a ez tach today and havent heard of it being used for saws yet. how does it work so far? how did you use it? infared or contact

Spec on a 026 is 14,000. 13,000 would be way rich.
Hmmm..... My Owners Manual specifies 13,000 with cutting attachment.
So where did you come up with the 14,000 number?

Which is it?

is that the electronic specialties ez tach plus? i was just looking at a ez tach today and havent heard of it being used for saws yet. how does it work so far? how did you use it? infared or contact
Electronic Specialties 328 EZ Tach Plus.
The 328 doesn't have infrared, but it does have a wireless pickup sensor.
I tried it with both, got the same reading.

That's interesting, I just double-checked my manual;
  • Displacement: 48.7 cm (2.97 cu.in)
  • Bore: 4 mm (1.73 in)
  • Stroke: 32 mm (1.26 in)
  • Max. engine speed with cutting attachment: 13000 r.p.m.
The manual is copyrighted 1992 Andreas Stihl, Waiblingen; and the saw is first year production... I bought it new. At that time there wasn't an 026 "PRO", just the 026 with or without the optional adjustable oil control and an 026 "W" (heated handle).

Something else that's interesting;

When I bought my 026 it was rated at 3.5 HP.
Dad used it, and liked it so well he went and bought himself one.
That was like three years (I think) after I got mine and by that time the HP rating had been degraded(?) to 3.2 HP. His has never ran as hard as mine, sounds just a bit different and won't pull a 20-inch bar near as well.

Just interesting...

There are several threads on the EZ Tach Plus here on the forum, and one has a video of it being used on a chainsaw. It's what prompted me to buy mine.

Bringing this thread back because...

blsnelling is smarter than my owners manual...

13,000 RPM is way to rich, just by the sound of the saw.

13,500 RPM sounded... well, OK, but... I'm fouling plugs and that's never happened before.

Reset the carb like I've always done, by my ear. Checked the RPM's with the tach and it reads back at 14,000 - 14,100... and runs great.

Guess you can't always believe what the owners manual says.

Still, even though I've always trusted my ear, it's nice to have conformation.

I'm no expert but I think what you're experiencing is just the natural break-in of the saw. New from the factory, with the factory carb settings I think 13000 would be about right. Now that its well broken in it will want to run faster.

Back