tackyfier

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
anyone know what they use to make the oil stick to the bar an chain. i have access to plenty of good clean 10wt 30. . my motors all have their oil changed as soon as the oil begin to be discolored. some think i change oil to soon ,but ive got,several cars and trucks that dont use oil yet. some over 300.000 miles.
it works for me ,but i always wished i could find a purpose for the oil.
the last bar oil i bought was almost 8 bucks so if i can use this oil it would translate into saving. if the tackyfier isnt to high.

Even if you could put a tacking agent in it, 10w-30 is too thin to use in warm weather. $8:00 for a gallon of bar oil seems awful high to me. I think the best way to save some doe is to find a place that sells it for less than that. We have been selling it for $5 for a few years, but may have to go up soon as the oil prices are rising. No secret there, right?

The whole idea of using drain oil was probably OK back when you had to pump it with your thumb, but it's really not the way to go with todays saws. But, if it's clean enough you could probably get away with it. I'd suggest that if you have an adjustable oiler, that you open it up all the way to get as much oil on the bar as possible.

Wally World, $2.86 per gallon. Vermeer sells Husky labeled bar lube for $5 and the Stihl dealer gets $6 for the fancy Stihl name. WTF are you doing paying $8 per gallon?

the bar oil came from lowes . it blew me away but time constraints made it better to get it rather than go all the way to wallys world. as to the oil out of my motors.. it is clean . i just dont let it get visibly dirty in my commercial mowers or vehicles.
i once had an wife,, that was credit card crazy ,enuff to put us into bankruptsy.
i had just bought 2 new vehicles and realised they would have to last ,as i wouldnt be able to finance anything for a long while. the motors in those vehicles still dont use oil ,and except for one that was wrecked ,i still have them.
having said that.. if i can still get bar oil at wallys world as cheap as was mentioned, ill do that. thats[2-3 bucks] is what i paid when i last bought a good supply.
i figured lowes would be close to wallys prices and that the recent petroleum increases had sent bar oil to the moon also. in any case thanks for the input

tony marks said:
i once had an wife,, that was credit card crazy ,enuff to put us into bankruptsy.
i had just bought 2 new vehicles and .....

Are ya sure it was the wife who put you on the brink of bankruptcy? ;)

Hey, I'm just funnin' with ya! :) :blob2:

oh yes i am very sure about, what caused the bankruptsy.the memory of watching stuff show up at the house and knowing it was bought with plastic ,still gives me a sick feelin. but to be real ,it was my job to get that under control and i wasnt able to. so i accept that as fact. it aint a perfect world is it.:) anyway thanks for u guys input ,ill be going to walmart sat. hope i find it there as cheap as was mentioned by one of the posters.

Take the used oil, drip it into your wood stove and burn it for heat. Get something useful out of it. Otherwise Autozone, as well as others, will recycle it. Don't bother trying to use it in your saws. Husky oil at Lowes is $8 a gallon. Stihl from the dealer is only a little over $5. Buy the stihl oil or go to Walmart.

Poulan

The last oil I got was at walmart it was $3.24 it went up with the price of gas I guess. I also wait Northern tool puts theirs on sale everyonce in a while for $2.50 a gallon. I bought 12 gallons last time it is good stuff.

With regards to your question about the tackifier, I believe they use pancake syrup (Mrs Butterworths, not pure Maple).

Big Woody said:
With regards to your question about the tackifier, I believe they use pancake syrup (Mrs Butterworths, not pure Maple).

Woohoo, I didn't know that. I'm gonna fry my pancakes in bar oil next time, instead of frying in vegi oil and adding syrup later.

think ill try an honey syrup mix. then just take a loaf o bread to the woods and u got an energy sandwitch for a snack. kill two birds with one stone.

skwerl said:
Wally World, $2.86 per gallon. Vermeer sells Husky labeled bar lube for $5 and the Stihl dealer gets $6 for the fancy Stihl name. WTF are you doing paying $8 per gallon?

Its not the facny name Sk, its because Stihl uses virgin oil, not re-cycled. Now wouldn't you pay more for a virgin,:laugh: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back