Take a look at my er...ah..piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Forgive the rookie questions, but........
This is the piston in the 361 i got off ebay. Sorry for the crappy pic, but i guess i need to uptate my old beater digital camera that the macro doesn't seem to work worth a flip. Anyway, there are a couple of real light lines on the piston above the rings. Rings look good as does the piston below the rings & from what i can see of the cylinder it looks good.

Also, i have never done a compression check on a saw before. I got the Lisle recommended here in another thread. What is the proper procedure? The first time i checked it i pulled tentatively & got 100psi. Then i pulled with authority several times until it maxed at 150...am i doing this right?

So, with a 150 compression, do i worry about the faint lines, or should i hone & re-ring?

Also, the bar cover has some corrosion all the way through, if anyone has one they are getting rid of, pm me.

RD

MS361192T017.jpg

MS361192T023.jpg

Alright, thanks for the responses(and the patience). I plan on hitting the wood this weekend......can't wait!

BTW, the 192T P/C looks great & also has 150 compression........whoohoo!

RD

Volks-man, i found alot of waht looked like palm tree "hair" wrapped around the internals(at least i hope it was plant & not animal...lol). The saw came out of West Palm Beach, so it also could have been used near the ocean. The salt spray down there can mist over a half a mile inland on any given day depending on the wind strength, coating everything in it's path.
I washed evrything out with simple green & rinsed well. The rest of the saw/case looks good, just the bar cover is cratered.

RD

Ekka

Used to say that the palm trees were very corrosive. I remember some of the photos he posted. nasty stuff

Volks-man, i found alot of waht looked like palm tree "hair" wrapped around the internals(at least i hope it was plant & not animal...lol). The saw came out of West Palm Beach, so it also could have been used near the ocean. The salt spray down there can mist over a half a mile inland on any given day depending on the wind strength, coating everything in it's path.
I washed evrything out with simple green & rinsed well. The rest of the saw/case looks good, just the bar cover is cratered.

RD

Used to say that the palm trees were very corrosive. I remember some of the photos he posted. nasty stuff

hhhmmm. both could be valid i spose. but i gotta lean to the palm senario. i live on a thin strip of land between the atlantic ocean and the chesapeake bay and don't see that kind of magnesium or aluminum corrosion.

Back