Take that, you f%$!!**g chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A saw doesn't have a will or a mind of its own - if all the components are right, it HAS to run. I keep telling myself that . . .

Blasphemy! Old saws have souls, and feelings, too! For those who have ornery saws, I'm guessing you can think about what you have done to p*ss off the saw (left it dirty, abused it, ran stale gas in it, duct-tape fixes, etc) that caused it to misbehave!

Ok, that was sort of tongue-in-cheek, but I swear some of my old musclecars had mean streaks. The worst ones would get jealous when I was spending too much time with another car!

A friend brought me in a 028 Super that from what was left I'd imagine had been a really pristine saw. I did a salvage garnering me a top cover, recoil, clutch, rim...he had run it through his brush hog...said it was by accident but also had mentioned it took 20-30 pulls to get started that morning.

Didn't you also throw a few in the stove?

Yes, old cheap Homelites. Maybe a Poulan or two as well. They were non running though.

Seems we get people who think it's a favor by offloading their junk at the shop. Sometimes just at the front door in the middle of the night.

Couple years ago we hauled a few truckloads of junk mowers to the dump. The next day a guy comes by... "I have a great deal for you" He had picked out the mowers, packed up his truck and trailer and figured he'd sell them to the shop.

He ended up having to pay to bring them at the dump again hahaha!

I have a few gremlin saws here. They were in the trash or givin to me. Funny thing is they vac and pressure test fine but both have different symptoms every time i deal with them. Sometimes no spark sometimes super high idle sometimes flooding. I have not looked at them im a year or so. Im waiting to do something very evil to them. Both are junk homelite plastic rangers.

Speaking of truckloads of junk, I got a short story. The owner of the shop near me had a guy come in asking about weed whips, and the owner asked why. Guy said he belonged to a R/C model club and were looking for weed whips, running or not for engines and extra spare parts for their cars/planes, etc. The owner ended up selling 3-4 pickup loads of weed whips to the group for scrap price. Couple other times when he cleaned out his shop and poleshed he would sell stuff by the piece or by the truckload if you asked. Picked up a pair of PM 700's and a lot of 024/026 bits & pieces for $30 that way.

I came real close to launching an old 024. Pull pull pull...adjust....pull pull pull....gas in the carb...pull pull pull....pull apart and check for air leaks....pull pull pull......on and on for 20 minutes....then suddenly I take one last look...hmmmmm...that spark plug cap looks odd....push click...pull vrooom! Yep I almost launched a running saw!!!!!

Trees have a way of telling saws f... You.
I was cutting up some bug kill pine with my 56cc, a tiny twig kicked the chain off causing damage to at least 7 drive links, three hours working with my needle files and I finally just gave up because the links kept locking up.

Latest posts

Back