Talk some sense into me please!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Talk me out of this. I have looked at more lo splitters than I care to count!! So far the American, and Supersplit are the only two that impress me. But to get the speed I want in the American, well, it's a chunk!

SOOOOOOO, the urge is hitting me to use the I-beam I have been sitting on and buid what I think I need this time? The monster has just been useless! I break it everytime I use it!! And I mean BREAK IT!!!! Those that don't know, it's a 27hp Kawi, 6.5"bore 3.5" rod 30" stroke, with a 26gpm pump. It's stupid and I hope it's going away soon!!
I want small, lots of power, lots of speed, but enough power to go through hedge when I need to. And yes, an autocycle this time!! (bad move on my part DDM!!)
Here is my shopping list so far:
pump:http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009020316225361&item=9-4896&catname=hydraulic
Engine:http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009020316203160&item=28-1694&catname=engines
Cylinder:http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009020316124430&item=9-7456&catname=hydraulic

I already have a two spool prince valve that is plenty big for this.
Still need to find a donor axle, wheels/tires and a resivor, the one I have left was too big for the monster, nugh said?
I want a push block on the cylinder, wedge on the end of the beam and the hitch on the motor side. A load table would be nice, but a work table is a must. And no log lift, I can cut them faster with the saw than wrestling with the splitter.
So, why shouldn't I build this?

First tell me who built the monster.. If you built it and you are breaking That one.. What would make you think this one will hold up?
But if you did not do the fabricating and welding.. Please disregard LOL

How about a mobile home axle with some dot 14.5 lowboy tires for your axle? Narrow it up and you're good to go. Good, strong, and cheap. The trailer place near me sells wheels and tires (Goodyear lowboy Dot approved) with 1 run on them for $25.

First tell me who built the monster.. If you built it and you are breaking That one.. What would make you think this one will hold up?
But if you did not do the fabricating and welding.. Please disregard LOL

I built, designed and fabed the monster.
I made four major errors,
1) the cylinder was too large.
2)the push block was too large.
3)the cylinder was mounted too high, 1.5" under it.
4)the push block was not built heavy enough. 1/2" steel the first time. It was tearing it last time I used it.
The new push block is smaller, and built entirely out of 1" steel this time.

Hello,
But I thought that you were the guy who was always trying to talk people OUT of making their own splitter.........I made one 20 some odd years ago and it never broke and it is working great !!!! So, make another one and just do it right and Git-R-Done !!!!

Basso

Hello,
But I thought that you were the guy who was always trying to talk people OUT of making their own splitter.........I made one 20 some odd years ago and it never broke and it is working great !!!! So, make another one and just do it right and Git-R-Done !!!!

Basso

I am the guy trying totalk people out of it, with good reason. it costs a LOT more money than most people thing, and a LOT more time and tools than most people in their right mind have.
I have a machine shop two blocks from the house that I have free rein in. And right now I have more time than i know what to do with.
The other thing is this is a VERY specialized machine I am wanting to build. Quick cycle time, hence the large pump and motor. Not the typical home owner unit that can be bought used for $1000.

BUILD IT! And take pictures and write things down so if it becomes the splitter of all splitters, you can build another one and auction it off here on AS.:yoyo:

Why not just correct what you have? Why go with the 22gpm pump when you have the bigger one? Use the bigger one and make it faster. Change the cylinder and the cylinder height. Put a slim wedge on it an split wood. If you don't want to do that then get a super splitter.

Scott

Why not just correct what you have? Why go with the 22gpm pump when you have the bigger one? Use the bigger one and make it faster. Change the cylinder and the cylinder height. Put a slim wedge on it an split wood. If you don't want to do that then get a super splitter.

Scott

It's technicly mine. I built it for my "partner" at the time. I'd really like to split ties with him now. He funded it, I built it. It goes away, and hopefully he goes away.

That and it's too big, and slow for the production I am after.

Sawing,I got to many irons in the fire,so I backed away from building a new one and my old three point was too slow and used a bit of fuel. I liked the super split,timber wolf and split fire. I settled on the split fire. Its an awesome splitter. I got the 4 way wedge,which breaks down to a single wedge in a few seconds. It splits on the out stroke and back stroke,about a 6 second cycle. Its hard for 2 people to keep up with it. I got the 6.5 Honda,and it runs a long time on a fill up. I dealt direct with the factory and saved about 1500.00.I think shipping and all was 2900.00. Its very well made,if needed parts are there. The timber wolf is a great splitter but over double the price. The super split,(about the same price),I have heard nothing but good about them,but they do not split 4 ways,can not see it splitting faster then a 4 wedge split fire. The super split has to make 3 splits for everyone on the split fire. You said for someone to talk you out of building one. Try a split fire,a lot of rental companies have them,( that also impressed me,if rental companies rent them they have to stand up)I think you would be hooked.

It seems to have more power than I thought it would:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/73XB6KzyRJs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/73XB6KzyRJs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(See, I do listen:yourock: )

Don't think I'd give up my Super Split for a hydraulic unless all I dealt with was really nasty stuff... and even then I have some damn big saws that like to eat.
:chainsaw:

Yeah, I just noticed the heigth, lots of bending over for a "not so small guy" like me!!

Don't think I'd give up my Super Split for a hydraulic unless all I dealt with was really nasty stuff... and even then I have some damn big saws that like to eat.
:chainsaw:

Split up some hedge, even the small stuff it super tough!! It eats chains like mad just bucking it, I have never tried to rip it, but I can only imagine how nasty it would be!
Then you get ino Elm, just about as nasty.
These two woods are the reason I have opted against the supersplit. Mos wood I sell is Oak, but all I burn is Hedge, and now and again people still want mixed wood, and most of that is Elm.

Latest posts

Back