Talk some sense into me please!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk me out of this. I have looked at more lo splitters than I care to count!! So far the American, and Supersplit are the only two that impress me. But to get the speed I want in the American, well, it's a chunk!

SOOOOOOO, the urge is hitting me to use the I-beam I have been sitting on and buid what I think I need this time? The monster has just been useless! I break it everytime I use it!! And I mean BREAK IT!!!! Those that don't know, it's a 27hp Kawi, 6.5"bore 3.5" rod 30" stroke, with a 26gpm pump. It's stupid and I hope it's going away soon!!
I want small, lots of power, lots of speed, but enough power to go through hedge when I need to. And yes, an autocycle this time!! (bad move on my part DDM!!)
Here is my shopping list so far:
pump:http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009020316225361&item=9-4896&catname=hydraulic
Engine:http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009020316203160&item=28-1694&catname=engines
Cylinder:http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009020316124430&item=9-7456&catname=hydraulic

I already have a two spool prince valve that is plenty big for this.
Still need to find a donor axle, wheels/tires and a resivor, the one I have left was too big for the monster, nugh said?
I want a push block on the cylinder, wedge on the end of the beam and the hitch on the motor side. A load table would be nice, but a work table is a must. And no log lift, I can cut them faster with the saw than wrestling with the splitter.
So, why shouldn't I build this?

Talk you out of it, Hell I'll let you do that, here is a reminder from....yourself from a few days ago at another builders post:greenchainsaw:

There is a screen inside most tanks on the suction side.
And:
I beam,
Welder,
Grinder,
Time,
Welding rod,
Grinding discs,
Some way to cut metal,
Time,
Metal,
Wheels,
Some form of an axel,
Time,
A hitch of some sort,
Tounge jack of some sort,
Tires,
And a lot more time

Last edited:
do not take this the wrong way but what makes you think your finished product will be any better this time? You sound like a guy that wants to use a machine when he need to use it not screw around with someting that might or might not get the job done....

do not take this the wrong way but what makes you think your finished product will be any better this time? You sound like a guy that wants to use a machine when he need to use it not screw around with someting that might or might not get the job done....

In sawinredneck's defence, he seem's to me like a guy that can learn from his mistakes. He listed the problems with his first splitter, and I'd be willing to bet he dosen't repeat those.
I built a bandsaw mill once that wasn't quite right. When I started the second one some folks asked me the same thing. By the time I started the 3rd one I was beginning to wander if they were right, but I did it any way.
I now have a bandmill that will outsaw any portable mill in my area, and I built it to my design.
That's why I think his result's will be better this time.
It's guy's like sawinredneck that come up with inovative ideas, that guy's like you look at and say "cool, I want one".
Anyone can haul off and buy a machine, but someone had to do the ground work for it.

Andy

I learned a lot from the first one. I see where I errored. And I have NO desire to build anything of that size again!! That is one of the biggest problems, it's so powerful it just tears itself into pieces. Ran the big one a little today even, it's already stretching the eight 1/2" bolts that hold the push block together!

This idea is to be smaller, and less powerful. Lots of engine power, but not the power of the ram. I am also after cycle time, this is lacking on most units.
So, I am facing $3000 for the small Super split, that I don't think will do Hedge or Elm well. Or step up to the bigger one for a much higher price tag, and still not sure it's going to be all I need.
I am looking at $4-5k for an American.
I am looking at $7-10k for a Timberwolf.
IN THE NATURE I AM LOOKING AT.
I can get the American, that the owner of the company thinks will work fine for me, under $3k. I can get the same in a Timberwolf over $4k.

Money is tight, firewood season is coming to a close soon, and I don't see being that busy this summer (I fully expect half of my city, 3K roughly, will be unemployed) so lots of time.
So dump $3k on a machine that "might be right" and "get me by". Or bet on an uncertain market and get the "big gun" that I want and try to figure out how to pay for it.
OR, buy a piece here and there, build as I go, and I hope I get it right this time and not owe anybody at the end of the day?

As soon as firewood season is over, Im going to completely rip my splitter apart and rebuild it. I will be taking pics and posting as the rebuild happens. I am gathering parts now that consist of...8 hp Briggs parts for a rebuild, I have leaf springs from an Amida light tower (Im adding suspension for interstate travel), I have a high carbon steel cutting blade from a road grader to make 3 wedges from, and I am buying a new pump soon. That thread should be fun. I just need the 11.5 hp Briggs I/C to last until Im done murdering trees for the season...

As soon as firewood season is over, Im going to completely rip my splitter apart and rebuild it. I will be taking pics and posting as the rebuild happens. I am gathering parts now that consist of...8 hp Briggs parts for a rebuild, I have leaf springs from an Amida light tower (Im adding suspension for interstate travel), I have a high carbon steel cutting blade from a road grader to make 3 wedges from, and I am buying a new pump soon. That thread should be fun. I just need the 11.5 hp Briggs I/C to last until Im done murdering trees for the season...

And this helps my dilema how:greenchainsaw::givebeer:

Ya 'tard!! I should have drug the monster up there with me so we could have broken it on some hedge!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

In sawinredneck's defence, he seem's to me like a guy that can learn from his mistakes. He listed the problems with his first splitter, and I'd be willing to bet he dosen't repeat those.
I built a bandsaw mill once that wasn't quite right. When I started the second one some folks asked me the same thing. By the time I started the 3rd one I was beginning to wander if they were right, but I did it any way.
I now have a bandmill that will outsaw any portable mill in my area, and I built it to my design.
That's why I think his result's will be better this time.
It's guy's like sawinredneck that come up with inovative ideas, that guy's like you look at and say "cool, I want one".
Anyone can haul off and buy a machine, but someone had to do the ground work for it.

Andy

Just so you know I was not tring to say he could not do it, but he sounds like a guy who wants it to work right without messing around with it. I have read his other posts on the other splitter he made and it sounded like he was fed up with something that did not always work.

Just so you know I built my own splitter 3 years ago and have not had one bit of trouble with it.....

Just so you know I was not tring to say he could not do it, but he sounds like a guy who wants it to work right without messing around with it. I have read his other posts on the other splitter he made and it sounded like he was fed up with something that did not always work.

Just so you know I built my own splitter 3 years ago and have not had one bit of trouble with it.....

It's cool, I didn't take it as a pissing match, you asked valid questions:clap:

Had I gone on a smaller scale, I think I would have been more succesful, but for the first build it was a bit too much.
I am not an engineer, in fact I am quite the opposite. I spent 13 years as a machinist. I am a pessimist. I can look at it and see why it wont work. I am the guy the engineers used to come to with a blueprint and ask "What wont work?" And I could show them. I could suggest fixes, but mine were never quite right, it headed them in a direction though. I was the guy that would make a Bridgport walk the dog trying to fix the parts the twenty year vetran on the five axis cut wrong so it would pass inspection.
I looked at a lot of machines, and talked to a lot of people when coming up with the plans on the monster. I had in my mind what would work. I wanted a "box wedge" to start with, but soon found the pitfalls with that design.
What I lacked in engineering I hoped to make up with sheer strength in steel. That works, but Geometry always wins!! I forgot that simple fact. I also forgot the amount of sheer force 70 tons can do to the same amount of steel.
I "assumed" I was smart enough to build something equilvelant to what another company charges $10k for, on the first try.
I was wrong, on a lot of accounts.

Yes, I want something that works, and works right now. This is why I have been looking at so many of them.
But the prices I am seeing, and the type of machine I am wanting are not matching up. So again, I am thinking of building what I want. Which leads us to the the tittle of talking me out of it!

Picked up a old International 435 square baler today from a friend. I'm going to convert into a wood splitter. I'm using the bale chamber for the split chamber and using road grader blades as the wedge. I'll document the build and share the photo's online. This will be a unit the wood is dropped in, not placed in with the hands. I've got a troy built 27 ton that does one heck of a job with no issues on oak or hedge it's just slow and I'm looking for something faster and can't justify the cost of a processor. If it doesn't work I'll just scrap the whole thing. I think it will be as fast as a super split with a helluva lot more wack on the old wood. My wife and friends think I've lost my mind.

I didn't mean to start a pissin match either. When I read "what makes you think........" Well, I must have read something into it that wasn't there.

Andy

WELL..................... I don't know yet!!!

I found a ChinabrandHondaclone engine, 16HP on Amazon for $299.
I am finding cylinders for around $160, 4"x24".
I can find a pre-plumbed autocycle valve for $224.
Most hoses can be had at TSC for aroud $12, plus for the needed adaptors (no monster -22 JIC's this time:clap:)
Probably stay with the 16GPM, for cost factor, $160.
Still need a resivoir and an axel.
So:
Thats right around $1050, give or take, plus welding rod, oxy gas ($190 last fill up) etc. I think $30 for the couplers, then I have to find/build another cage for the pump to motor.
Is that THAT MUCH better than the 6.5hp Honda powered, 13gpm American I have deliverd fo $2500? (Probably add a bit more to that, I think I am talking myself into the four way.)

WELL..................... I don't know yet!!!

I found a ChinabrandHondaclone engine, 16HP on Amazon for $299.
I am finding cylinders for around $160, 4"x24".
I can find a pre-plumbed autocycle valve for $224.
Most hoses can be had at TSC for aroud $12, plus for the needed adaptors (no monster -22 JIC's this time:clap:)
Probably stay with the 16GPM, for cost factor, $160.
Still need a resivoir and an axel.
So:
Thats right around $1050, give or take, plus welding rod, oxy gas ($190 last fill up) etc. I think $30 for the couplers, then I have to find/build another cage for the pump to motor.
Is that THAT MUCH better than the 6.5hp Honda powered, 13gpm American I have deliverd fo $2500? (Probably add a bit more to that, I think I am talking myself into the four way.)

Yeah I like the 4-way on mine, it doesn't work very well on 20"+ rounds but it's perfect for the 18" and under crowd. I only have a 5hp and a 11gpm pump though. Soon as I find a larger motor I'll put the 16gpm pump on it.

Back