Tall person splitter setups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My splitter is bit on the low side.It is basically the axle heigth of 12" wheels.Way too low.Sometimes I put it up on blocks but that gets to be a pain.So I thought about building a new one and keeping this one as my "loaner".Does anybody have any pics showing how they have their beams raised up to a nice working heigth.I plan on having a lift also.Also any comments on how the lift should be positioned.I thought about dual lift valves so I do not have to reach over when trying to hold large rounds on the cradle.

Somebody on AS has a home-built that is similar in design to those. As a matter of fact there are at least a couple vertical on table splitters around.

I think it is a novel way to split wood. If I build a second splitter that would be high in the running. They have a neat way of keeping the mast from being so high.

Don

My splitter is bit on the low side.It is basically the axle heigth of 12" wheels.Way too low.Sometimes I put it up on blocks but that gets to be a pain.So I thought about building a new one and keeping this one as my "loaner".Does anybody have any pics showing how they have their beams raised up to a nice working heigth.I plan on having a lift also.Also any comments on how the lift should be positioned.I thought about dual lift valves so I do not have to reach over when trying to hold large rounds on the cradle.

post a picture of it.

I have one built from the mast of a forklift. Not my best design.

OK OK OK I'll get pics...

4103311224_258576a4bc.jpg

milkie I'm 6' and have a low to the ground splitter like you. Our beam sits on a split to keep the oil reservoir level. I sit on a round while splitting after awhile splitter trash builds up enough to make a hasty ramp I can easily roll the bigger rounds up on.

With the bigger rounds I don't mind standing cause I'm not stooped over. I hear ya about stooping over...I hate that but the trade off is I'm not always bending over to pick up splits either...cause I push 'em into position with the FEL.

Another thing too...with my Peltor 22 worktunes/earprotectors splitting wood isn't the drudge labor it use to be...it's amazing what an attitude adjustment they make.

I had one I made back in 1986. Ran it until I bought a Troybilt last January. Original was way too low and I finally chopped it apart and raised it 9". Best height IMO is so your fingers just brush the beam when you are standing next to it. The TroyBilt is very near to that height.

Harry K

Log Splitter Ergonomics

I had one I made back in 1986. Ran it until I bought a Troybilt last January. Original was way too low and I finally chopped it apart and raised it 9". Best height IMO is so your fingers just brush the beam when you are standing next to it. The TroyBilt is very near to that height.

Harry K
+1. The worst thing that you can do is build a horizontal splitter too high. That makes it virtually impossible to split large logs on it, and you have no choice but to run it vertically, assuming it can even do that.

Grab a 100-lb log and stand straight. Then ask LOYL to measure the distance from your knuckles and the ground. Set the I-beam at that height or maybe a few inches lower. Think of how you are going to get heavy logs that you cannot curl resting onto that beam.

Perhaps there is a new subject we need to offer in our schools: Log Splitter Ergonomics.

Milk,
I'm wondering if you could use a motorcycle/ATV jack to raise that sucker to where you want it, then use some kind of stand to stabalize it. These jacks sell for about $70. Here's a pic of mine.

I built mine 34" from the ground so it is at the perfect standing height to operate . I knew I was putting a log lift on from the beginning and after using it for 6 months I'm so happy with it I just smile when I look at it , let alone use it . I have lifted 25" rounds with the flick of a lever , no problem . Since I don't have to bend over and pick up the log I can split longer . Just works for me .
DSCN2273.jpg

DSCN2250.jpg

Last edited:
hmmmmm got me thinking.....my back might be worth an extra spool and 3 small bore cylinders....two on the axle at each wheel, another at the tongue....with a proportional valve, to lift the splitter to desired height.....

those super axe splitters look awesome. Anyone know where I can find a video of one of those in action? I just looked on you tube with no results.

try a hay rack

I have a splitter with the 8" wheels on it. And yes, it's too low to the ground, when it's on the ground. Since we live on a acreage, and baled some hay here, I put ramps up to the hay rack and push the splitter up on to the hay rack deck. We also use the hay rack to harvest wood. The height for us is perfect. The hay rack is full of wood that needs to be split. We make enough room for the splitter and get at it.
I'm 5'-8" or so and it puts the wood splitter above my waist. It works well for us.
Burning wood saves money but it's very labor intensive.

I get alot of rounds in the 20"-30" dia range so no matter how low it is it can be diffucult to get them on the splitter.A log lift,cradle,and pipe wings like a Timberwolfe is basically necessary.Can somebody walk me through how to post pictures ? Thanks.

I get alot of rounds in the 20"-30" dia range so no matter how low it is it can be diffucult to get them on the splitter. A log lift, cradle ,and pipe wings like a Timberwolfe is basically necessary. Can somebody walk me through how to post pictures ? Thanks.

If your log is over 20" dia. and you cannot split vertically, then noodle cut the log in half (or even fourths with a chainsaw and a 20"+ bar). That means lay the big log off the ground on top of a couple of other small logs with its flat ends vertical so that the chain produces mostly noodles rather than flakes as it cuts. Making noodles is more like planing and the chain's teeth will hold their edge much longer.

Tips from the Doc: I sweep up the noodles, pack them in small boxes, and use them for fire starters.

To post a picture, you can use the yellow Insert Image control or imbed the URL inside the yellow quote control. Use copy (Ctrl C) and paste (Ctrl V).

[post a picture of it.[/QUOTE]

====

Here's how I done ours(SILs). It can be use in the verticle or horizonal positon. Log lift and catch table can be remove of switched side to side by pulling a couple pins, actually 4..Need to change the catch table, as it's not quite wide enough and come up with a different support leg, don't like the current one, works okay just dont like it.

Remounted control valve to center of cylinder for easy of use from either side. Had to add outriggers on bumper to keep it from racking on the suspension when using lift on big rounds, 30 to 40"ers. Works like a champ.

attachment.php

IMG]http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=115683&stc=1&d=1258982269[/IMG]

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back