Tapered shaft lovejoy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LANNY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My son and I are building a bigger splitter. We have a 16 hp briiggs with a tapered shaft. Anybody know where to get a lovejoy motor coupling for such a beast? If we have to we'll get one modified by a machinist buddy. Any ideas would be appreciated....Lanny

Let me guess. The engine came off of a generator?

My guess it that you will need to buy one that is undersized and have the taper machined into the coupling. You may need to put a counterbore in to clear the bolt / nut that that would hold it on the taper.

Good luck

Don

Yup, already bought undersized lovejoy. Just hoping I missed something. Yes Don, generator motor. But it is so bad, we just have to use it....Lanny

Nothing wrong with using a generator motor. They are just a little trickier to adapt. Generally a buddy that is a machinist is real handy.

Don

OT but sort of related: I saw a flat four cylinder air cooled engine for sale on Mpls Craigs List. $100 I think. They look like a miniature VW engine. Came off a military gen set. A friend of mine bought one like it prior to Y2K only to find out they were 400Hz odd voltage. But it ran so incredibly quiet and smooth at about 1800 rpm all I could think was hydraulic power pack..... he sold his long ago.

anyway, the gen set engines usually have a tapered shaft and a long thru bolt holding the armature onto it.

k

I have used several tapered shaft engines for power units. I just cut a keyway in the straight part of the crankshaft and cut the taper off if it was going to be direct coupled, if it was going to be a belt drive, just left the taper on it.

bought a ex gene briggs 8 hp. pulled the crank,SLOWLY welded up the taper, put it in lathe,machined it straight, then a friend took it to his machinist friend, and he cut a straight keyway in it--end of problem!!!:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

I just did this to an 8 hP briggs that was a generator motor . The straight part of the shaft was .875 dia. , no problem they make that size Lovejoy , I cut the taper off and put the straight part of the shaft in the vise on my Bridgeport . With the right cutter I was able to cut the .187 keyway with the whole motor sitting on the table . The whole deal took about 15 min !!
Take it to your machinist and I'm sure he can do the same .

I just did this to an 8 hP briggs that was a generator motor . The straight part of the shaft was .875 dia. , no problem they make that size Lovejoy , I cut the taper off and put the straight part of the shaft in the vise on my Bridgeport . With the right cutter I was able to cut the .187 keyway with the whole motor sitting on the table . The whole deal took about 15 min !!
Take it to your machinist and I'm sure he can do the same .

That's the way I've always done it, set the whole engine on the milling machine and clamp the crank in the vice. Gets a lot of funny looks from people but sure beats taking the engine apart.

Just an update, we are going to turn a 3/4 bar down to 5/16-24 and screw it in the tapered shaft . Leave a short section 3/4 for the lovejoy, add a keyway and VERY carefully tack it together. If we don't warp the shaft we think we'll be alright. We'll let you all know if it works out. Thanks....Lanny ps: there is no flat part of the shaft, all taper

Last edited:
Some of the Briggs have this shaft.

attachment.php

OT but sort of related: I saw a flat four cylinder air cooled engine for sale on Mpls Craigs List. $100 I think. They look like a miniature VW engine. Came off a military gen set. A friend of mine bought one like it prior to Y2K only to find out they were 400Hz odd voltage. But it ran so incredibly quiet and smooth at about 1800 rpm all I could think was hydraulic power pack..... he sold his long ago.

anyway, the gen set engines usually have a tapered shaft and a long thru bolt holding the armature onto it.

k

you can still buy those engines on the internet, I seen them for $299 or so for just the motor..... it was tempting to pick one up

Keep it simple guy's.
The only time I used a tapered shaft for something besides a generator, I had my machenist buddy cut me a piece of bar stock, drill it out and cut a matching taper inside, and cut a keyway. Slip it on the crank, insert bolt & washer and you're ready to go. That's the way it was designed to work, and there's no chance of warping the crank.

Andy

Back