Tarm boiler with the extra water tank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black-dog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have talked to a few people about the Tarm boiler. They seem to talk about using an extra tank, say 400 gallons, to store the heat. This is so you don't have to burn as often in the spring and fall.

That seems like a good idea that would not be useful only for Tarm owners.

Does the Tarm really only burn all out or not at all, and then shut itself down when the burn is done?

Thanks for any comments you can provide....

good question, let us know what you find out.
this is the 6th winter for my central boiler, i think the new units have changed some since then.
i would like to hear any other upgrades people have done to their older owb's

I have talked to a few people about the Tarm boiler. They seem to talk about using an extra tank, say 400 gallons, to store the heat. This is so you don't have to burn as often in the spring and fall.

That seems like a good idea that would not be useful only for Tarm owners.

Does the Tarm really only burn all out or not at all, and then shut itself down when the burn is done?

Thanks for any comments you can provide....

It certainly burns most efficient while operating with the blower "all out." Tarm and other gasifiers do have the ability to idle... and depending on the layout of the boiler may put out smoke and may not. Most people that operate these boilers try to avoid idling them so as not to build any creosote in the boiler or their chimney. The heat storage system allows for not only more convenient burning in the spring and fall... it allows the operator more freedom of when they burn. The tank just acts as a big thermal mass to buffer the output of the fire, so the house loads can use it as they need it, rather than be at the mercy of the output of the boiler.

It's also a nice way to heat DHW in the summer with wood. Tarm claims, on average, one can fire the boiler 8 - 10 days in the summer and satisfy one's DHW needs.

Latest posts

Back