taxing 357xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
at what point in hardwood, mainly oak and I taxing/straining my 357xp, and should switch to my 575xp or 7900? what diameter wood? curious in what you guys think...

at what point in hardwood, mainly oak and I taxing/straining my 357xp, and should switch to my 575xp or 7900? what diameter wood? curious in what you guys think...
If you have all three, use the saw that you feel is going to do the best job. Your own hands on experience should answer your question.

Seat of pants is right.I have a couple 50cc saws(5100/028S) I usually cut wood with.
Oak walnut not a problem.But if I get into some old locust or a really large tree then the 044 or 066 comes out.Or if I'm wantin' to really do some damage then I get my 1130G or my P65 Hi-Po out.
But in most cases I'm usually not in a hurry cuttin' wood.

Thanks guys it just seems I always grab the 357xp, so much lighter and more nimble then 575xp or 7900, even if it takes a second or two longer through a larger log. I just didn't want to strain it or anything/burn it out.

what size bar you running?

i cant imagine it would like anything over 18".

:cheers:

In hardwoods, I'd stick to a 20" bar, max, unless your running skip, in which case you could get away with a 24" or slightly longer. In soft stuff like pine or spruce, I could run a 28" bar with full skip no problem... Either one of the bigger saws is more suited for it, but if you like the 357 that much it will handle it.

Back