TCI magazine hits new low

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is, Butch was referring to the fact that you're the richest of us...

..in knowledge....and he'd be spot on!

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Cow flatulence causes more pollution than chainsaws.
You may be the expert on cow flatulence, but the big difference is that the milk-drinkers do not have their faces a few feey away from the pollution source...at least few that I know...

Butch you mention TCI and AA as the 2 tree mags--why don't you just shell out the <$.30/day to join ISA so you can get AN? Has anyone read their April issue? Don't knock it if you haven't tried it:rolleyes:

And Murph, getting more people from the field on ed boards is a good idea, but time lag is one problem. More arborists submitting articles is a better idea, but it's so much easier fun to just complain.:blob2: Talk about cow flatulence...

Tom thanks for showing facts and quoting accurately and keeping this real.:D

maybe they need to look at other ways of making saws more eco freindly not just blocking mufflers, im all for a 4 stroke saw,honda make great 4 stroke brush cutters,older stihls dont hold as much heat as new ones.anyway my dump/tip truck has cracked a piston dam jap crap 4 grand to replace,you guys in the states have it to good with availability of equipment,fuel

The bus is for sale. Drop a line if you're interested.

The side door drops open like a drawbridge so my ATV c ould be carried. I did all the fabrication from the deck of the dump box up. As you can see, I'm not much of a painter :)

Tom

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Guy, I've never seen that publication before. Does it have more meat than the others?
The April issue features a 2-page article on rigging a cracked tree written by the guy who did the job.:angel:

Also, ISA's Education Dept confronted some of the criticism of the cert program not being "enforced". They laid out their reasons for doing what they do and not doing what they cannot do. Anyone who had big complaints in this area would do well to read this without judging it beforehand.

In Alberta working arborists didn't just complain but complained constructively and got laws changed.;)

Also good articles on safety, diagnosis, appraisal, the JoA's editing process, the Tree House project and PHC. So yeah Butch, fork out the $85. to join. There's more meat and other food for the arborists' eyes in Arborist News. Anyone who disses ISA without reading it is just flatulating.:D

One of the big differences I noted in the North Country this winter was the presence of 4 stroke snowmobiles. They could pass the ice house with out disturbing my nap or the fishing. Much quieter and sweeter smelling. Never drove one, but they seem to be good sellers according to the dealers.

Bob

Four stroke outboards have their place, they are heavy thoough, so not realistic for us. I bought Stihl's new 4-mix works okay actually a little more torque than the old pruner, I expeted that. I've mentioned fuel cells before everyone ignored me. I am certain a 4 stroke engine would be a joke for a while in chainsaws. Open the hood on a 4 stroke snomachine, or take the cowling off a outboard, tell me what you dont see it staRTs with a car. They would be some tiny a$# injectors on a saw.

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur

Also, ISA's Education Dept confronted some of the criticism of the cert program not being "enforced". They laid out their reasons for doing what they do and not doing what they cannot do. Anyone who had big complaints in this area would do well to read this without judging it beforehand.

While reading that article I kept thinking it must have been inspired by a couple of threads here. Either directly or indirectly.

Maybe this thread or another like it will influence the right people.

Last edited:
Wow, I am away working, and I miss out on such a stellar skwerl spaz fest. :laugh:

It sucks about chainsaws, but those who want old and power will have it. It is going to affect larger operations more.

Learning curves...it is always an evolution.

ISA - you get what you put into it. Everyone seems to be disappointed by the content of free magazines :confused:

In all the above, you can be part of the problem or part of the solution. ;)

GREAT!!!! just what we all need more goverment control, where does it stop already???

this could be heresay...but I heard the other day someone saying four strokes burn 'dirtier' as they age and two strokes burn cleaner as they age. Not that a two stroke will burn cleaner than a four stroke, but you get the picture. Anybody else heard of this?

Rocky,

TCI was ion the mailbox today. I did the skim through, read the closing article and then the chainsaw article. We must have gotten different versions. I found both of the articles educational and informative.

It was interesting that they EPA has allowed the small engine manufacturers the same out as the car builders. They can have lots of weed trimmers etc. with clean emissions to balance off the dirty motors in the larger units. Again, in the wise words of Shigo, "It's all about dosage." Amazing how many applications there are for those words.

If it weren't for regulations does anyone think that industry would be looking out for the public? Take some time to go back and read the history of the labor movement in the US. If it weren't for corageous people at the beginning of the last century saying NO, we wouldn't live in as good a world as we live in now. Besides having a safer and healthier workplace, we have a safer, healthier world to live in.

I guess that our interpretations differ because we look at the half full glass differently.

Tom

Originally posted by Nathan Wreyford
Wow, I am away working, and I miss out on such a stellar skwerl spaz fest. :laugh:

It sucks about chainsaws, but those who want old and power will have it. It is going to affect larger operations more.

Learning curves...it is always an evolution.

ISA - you get what you put into it. Everyone seems to be disappointed by the content of free magazines :confused:

In all the above, you can be part of the problem or part of the solution. ;)
No words for this post....
bowdown.gif

Back