Technical questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wellcome to the forum!

I have a few serius questions.

1) Why is the crank seals not of better qualety? The tek is here, but not on the saws.

2) Why in the world is there so many chain type's?

3) What saw regardless of brand is best built in your opinion?

Pleace have a bit of patiance with the boy's here, most is really funny.

Oh now, we just do a little mild hazing here in the chainsaw fraternity.
All that is needed is a little sense of humor, and you all will find that we all have a lot to add.
Ok, Simon. I have a question. How can I e-mail blowups and other stuff off of my media-cat?

Welcome to the forum, we are really a bunch of nice guys....

Really.....

sure hope you guys didn't run Simonizer off.... there's no-one I know of that knows everything

046 said:
sure hope you guys didn't run Simonizer off.... there's no-one I know of that knows everything
I'm back, just doing a little BBQ'ing and partying last night. Some of your questions I will have immediate answers to, some I will have to look into deeper at work where I have info going back to the 70's. One thing about the chains that seems to be a hot topic. If you ran 050 on a MS660 with a 32" bar, the chains would be breaking more frequently. This may sound like bull???? but in practice up here it happens. They typically get damaged in a bad pinch when falling big timber. I am going on feedback from about 200 fallers I deal with. They have even gone from 058 Husky chain to 063 Stihl.
Also to address a previous post, friction is not dependent on surface area, that is why the coefficient of friction is a number with no units assigned to it. ie a brick on a sheet of aluminum will start to slide at a certain angle if you tilt the sheet. If you try this again with the brick on another side it will slide at that same angle. For anyone that gives a ????, the angle at which something will slide on a surface is the arctan of the coefficient of friction. The coefficient of friction is a number between 0 and 1. As you would imagine rubber/asphalt is fairly high 0.7-0.85 or so. teflon on teflon is about 0.04.
I am very well versed regarding MS660, Husq 372, 385, 395 as I work almost exclusively on them day in day out. I will answer questions about modifications as well but only to a certain extent due to intellectual property.

Cheers.Simon

Husqvarna's tolerances are so tight and exact, that they can run with no rings
but they just threw one on there for show...........................

I knew we didn't run Simon off, he is a sport, and a partier too!
He will fit in nicely. He can argue with Dagger over the finer points.

I am worried about Stihltech though, he really is a good guy, and has been
very helpful with many, many people. And he came through my brutal
hazing with flying colors.

Stihltech, do you have any help for me with the Media-Cat problem?

And no, I really do not own that fine stable of saws I have listed, the Eager Beaver
has not really run since I "Fisherized" it, it just sits around mumbling and crying,
saying, "dial 911"........
I do not own a chainsaw, just use the ones that people are foolish enough to
let me work on. I have to test them out thoroughly.
No 066s around here though, just 044/046s, but my wife keeps assuring me that size
is not important!

Fish said:
And no, I really do not own that fine stable of saws I have listed, the Eager Beaver
has not really run since I "Fisherized" it, it just sits around mumbling and crying,
saying, "dial 911"........
I do not own a chainsaw, just use the ones that people are foolish enough to
let me work on. I have to test them out thoroughly.
No 066s around here though, just 044/046s, but my wife keeps assuring me that size
is not important!
Have you ever seen that 2 cylinder Echo? Odd machine.

Hi Simonizer, I been on the Campbell Highway but its in YT. Is the Campbell river coming out of the Campbell range into the Liard river or something like that? Or is it in a totally different part of BC?

As fer as saw-a-droolin goes, I would love to even play wedge biotch in some of the timber on the West end of the Yellowhead or the south end of the Cassiar. Seen plenty of biguns up north in BC too, all real nice. Aint it funny how be it US or Canada most people go only to tourist spots or cities. Lots of good stuff out in the boonies.

359 husky Bar oiling

Simonizer, I just bought a new Husky 359( I have a 24 inch bar on it and adjusted the oil quanity screw to the higher oil flow for a longer bar turned it to the + position counter clockwise) my older saws stihl, homelite, & McCulloha (sp) Would just about one tank full of bar oil to a tank full of fuel.

I have checked the orfice in the bar all is clear. If I run engine with bar off at a high rpm oil appears in the rubber elongated deleivery port but it doesn't spurt out
This new Husky 359 appears to barely use any bar oil is this normal, I ran the first tank full as per manual states do not run engine at full throttle for the first 10 hrs. When I ran it at aprox 3/4 throttle and held chain and bar near the end of a cut stump I couldn't really see any bar oil sling off onto the log when I reved it But after the third tank full of fuel and running saw at a higher rpm when cutting just about full throttle Now I do see a bit of bar oil sling off of bar.When saw it laid on its side as when you would position it to fill fuel and oil tanks it appears that the oil level in the bar oil tank drops about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch per about 3/4 tank of fuel, is this normal ?

Sorry so long but I wanted to try to include all info
Thanks, Bill

Last edited:
359 husky Bar oiling

Simon I forgot to mention that I am cutting OLD Dry eucalipus logs (Euk is about the hardest would around here. harder than oak or maple, these logs were hauled to my property about 12 years ago so it is real old and dry and about 36 inch diameter.

Also I just noted that the Husky 359 comes with a 20 inch bar Do ya think I am seeing very little oil on chain because of the 24 inch Bar ??

Thanks again Bill

Simonizer said:
Please feel free to ask me about any weird problems you may be having. I will do my best to solve them for you. I have 16 years experience as a factory trained Stihl and Husqvarna mechanic and also have a degree in Mechanical engineering (1991-1996). This is a free service. Cheers, Simon.

Hi Simon,
Trying to rebuild the tank housing but uncertain about weldering.
Would appreciate if you can give some comments.
No big machines like ultrasonic ones.
tks.
mike :Eye:

Well, since way back when, Ive always been a stihl man. But my boss picked up a husky 350 at lowes for cheap about a year ago. I only got into fixing them 3 or 4 months ago. But I have spark on this and im getting fuel and there is comp. I tore the carb apart and cleaned it found no dirt or anything in there. There are no Husky shops in my area but sombody told me the coil was weak. Now from what I know coils either work or they dont. Any ideas? or should a offer a trade to sombody who likes them? Thanks in advanced. Andrew

Do you have any idea what would could cause a crankshaft-rod bearing to go?..thanks

techdave said:
Hi Simonizer, I been on the Campbell Highway but its in YT. Is the Campbell river coming out of the Campbell range into the Liard river or something like that? Or is it in a totally different part of BC?

As fer as saw-a-droolin goes, I would love to even play wedge biotch in some of the timber on the West end of the Yellowhead or the south end of the Cassiar. Seen plenty of biguns up north in BC too, all real nice. Aint it funny how be it US or Canada most people go only to tourist spots or cities. Lots of good stuff out in the boonies.

Campbell River is in southwestern BC on the middle of the east coast of Vancouver Island. The area you are thinking of is in northeastern BC, so it is an entirely different part of the province.

As to the timber, the timber in the area you are thinking of gets fairly big, but the timber on the BC coast dwarfs it. They don't call it the "Wet Coast" for nothing. Massive amounts of rain falls due to storms coming in off the Pacific hitting the mountains and dumping, combined with warm maritime temperature, produce giant trees with huge annual growth.

Seems like Simonizer withdrew from AS yesterday...
Take a look at the "thoughts on the 372xp" tread going on;
I don't think he got a very friendly welcome.

.......hope he will be back, as I think he has a lot to contribute, and his mind seemed set on doing just that, but what do I know?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back