Tecomec Crankshafts - Think they are any good? MS 361 Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2-StrokeDude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I’m Still working on my MS 361 rebuild, had to get a couple more parts for it, I needed a new fly wheel side crank bearing after it got a new one damaged when trying to install it… That one has been a bugger trying to install!
I have not gotten to install the crankshaft yet, but it just arrived in the mail today. It’s a Tecomec brand which I heard a while ago used to be made in Italy and most guys it seems didn’t mind their parts. My thoughts is at least it is an “name brand” aftermarket company so I’m hoping it will be decent.

Unfortunately on the box that the crankshaft was in it says made in China on it… Not really something that I wanted to see.

However, after looking over crank and checking the bearing for play, it actually seems like a really high-quality crank for the money and for an aftermarket part. Anyone have good experience with these cranks? It looks very similar to the OEM Stihl one.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0778.jpeg
    IMG_0778.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0780.jpeg
    IMG_0780.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I’m Still working on my MS 361 rebuild, had to get a couple more parts for it, I needed a new fly wheel side crank bearing after it got a new one damaged when trying to install it… That one has been a bugger trying to install!
I have not gotten to install the crankshaft yet, but it just arrived in the mail today. It’s a Tecomec brand which I heard a while ago used to be made in Italy and most guys it seems didn’t mind their parts. My thoughts is at least it is an “name brand” aftermarket company so I’m hoping it will be decent.

Unfortunately on the box that the crankshaft was in it says made in China on it… Not really something that I wanted to see.

However, after looking over crank and checking the bearing for play, it actually seems like a really high-quality crank for the money and for an aftermarket part. Anyone have good experience with these cranks? It looks very similar to the OEM Stihl one.
There's cheap generic made in China and there's reputable brand made in China. Don't get caught up too much in country of manufacture. It all depends on the quality the brand demands their products be manufactured to. Tecomec is a quality brand, and has shown little diminishing of quality moving manufacturing to China. They used to make Oregon's breakers, spinners, and chain grinders, might still do in some cases. I just got Tecomec breaker and spinner, very high quality. GB manufactures a lot of their bars in China now instead of Australia, and still turning out as high quality as anyone but Cannon.

There's cheap generic made in China and there's reputable brand made in China. Don't get caught up too much in country of manufacture. It all depends on the quality the brand demands their products be manufactured to. Tecomec is a quality brand, and has shown little diminishing of quality moving manufacturing to China. They used to make Oregon's breakers, spinners, and chain grinders, might still do in some cases. I just got Tecomec breaker and spinner, very high quality. GB manufactures a lot of their bars in China now instead of Australia, and still turning out as high quality as anyone but Cannon.
Ok, so do you think it would be fine for me to run the tecomec crank? Should it last a long time? Seems like good quality to me, however I have a $90 used OEM used Stihl crankshaft ordered on eBay as well that I may end up using instead. I just don’t like the idea of a made in china crank in my nice saw.

What’s your opinion on used OEM parts? In a way I think that it is also a risk to use a used crank because I don’t know how many hours are on the crank or what the condition of it is, other than what the listing says.

So then I go back to the idea of using the Tecomec crankshaft just because it’s new, and I know it’s not worn at all.

What’s your opinion on used OEM parts? In a way I think that it is also a risk to use a used crank because I don’t know how many hours are on the crank or what the condition of it is, other than what the listing says.
I'm back and forth on what I'll put in my small engines and vehicles depending on the application. Used OEM is a bit of a crapshoot because like you say, level of wear is unknown. I'd put the Tecomec crank in without hesitation. Would expect a dozen things else to fail on the saw before that crank ever did. I'm a bit more keen on keeping OEM cylinders than I used to be, now I know how well muriatic acid and/or a Flex Hone can clean minorly damaged ones up. But pistons and rings I expect to wear out or get damaged eventually, so I don't see any reason to go any better than Meteor and Caber. Even though Tecomec is no longer made in Italy, I still generally trust their products as much I do Meteor pistons.

Was in a quandary about what to do recently when the transfer case in my 4x4 Silverado crapped out, with remanufactured ones at $1000+, new ones at $2000. Junkyard ones were $144, but huge job pulling them off and who knows if they even work or how close to failure they are. Finally just took mine off the truck, took it apart, and found a damaged shift fork was the only problem aside from way overdue for new seals. I'm not really fussed about where the new shift fork I bought was made, it's better than using a used OEM one with unknown wear. I guess it mainly depends on whether the part I'm replacing is a constantly stressed part that may break eventually or something more dependent on precision tolerances and good plating like a cylinder. I'll seek used OEM maybe more when I'm going for quality of machining and Nikasil quality, but I'll often go to reputable new AM parts when it's just a matter of getting something without stress wear on it. Made in Taiwan usually is better quality steel than made in China comparing apples to apples, but a reputable brand made in China is often as good or better than something no-name from Taiwan.

Back