Telephone Poles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATHRBCUTN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys need some help. I work for a major electrical company in Ohio. We have a couple saws that we use for cutting down telephone poles. The saws are 025's, ms250's, 017's. I know we need bigger saws but the bose says no. My question is what chain and bar would work best for this situation. Was thinking of oregon, mainly because we own an Ace Hardware store and they can get oregon chains, which would benifit us because of price discount and availability. Let me know what you guys think, and thanks for any input.

My Stihl dealer says that rotary blade cutsaws with a cast iron cutting blade actually work well on railroad ties. I know that may not be on your list of approved options, butt I thought it was interesting nonetheless, and thsi seemed like a good time to post that nugget of alternative chainsaw lore....:greenchainsaw:

Appears to me that you are talking about a 16" bar with .325 x .063 regular comp, round chisel chain. You are asking a lot from some very small saws. Cheaper is not always better.

Creasoke is nasty **** for a chain to cut. I would look at carbide chain (its slow but will keep the edge), a short bar, and a much bigger saw. Time is money you know.

If you cant go that route, use chipper chain, then file your edge every few cuts. That seems like a lot of filing, but keeping the edge up is allot quicker than filing out hammered teeth.

Hey guys need some help. I work for a major electrical company in Ohio. We have a couple saws that we use for cutting down telephone poles. The saws are 025's, ms250's, 017's. I know we need bigger saws but the bose says no. My question is what chain and bar would work best for this situation. Was thinking of oregon, mainly because we own an Ace Hardware store and they can get oregon chains, which would benifit us because of price discount and availability. Let me know what you guys think, and thanks for any input.

Oregon would be 22BP, and on the shortest bar you can use, since you'll probably need to file the chain rather frequently...

Creasoke is nasty **** for a chain to cut. I would look at carbide chain (its slow but will keep the edge), a short bar, and a much bigger saw. Time is money you know.

If you cant go that route, use chipper chain, then file your edge every few cuts. That seems like a lot of filing, but keeping the edge up is allot quicker than filing out hammered teeth.

not to mention the nails, staples and embedded grit. chainsaw isnt the right tool for this, and the ones listed are definitely in over their head...

I use to cut phone polls with standard Oregon chisel chain and a Husky 272xp. Didn't seem to have any problems with keeping the chains sharp. I would split them lengthwise, as a lot of them were over 2 foot diameter and big enough for several fence posts. I'd cut a lengthwise cut about 6 inches deep, and split them open with a mall.

Actually the guys have been using saws this small forever, and the only problems we've ever had with them would be the dumbA$$ using them.

Where can yo get this chipping chain with a narrow enough kerf for a saw that small.

I'd go .325 skip tooth chisel, will hold up well and less teeth to sharpen, Oregon chains I've never had a problem with, good quality imho, 16" bar is okay but I'd rather an 18" (less bending over when bucking :D )

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
We do alot of wreck out of the phone cable. Including plenty of poles to take out of the ground and cut up... 026,, and a 041 with a semi chisel chain works good. Two bench grinders and alot of chains. Seems to work good as long as you can see all those darn garage sale nails in the pole...hehe We always cut in the field. A chainsaw suits our needs the best. Always tree's in the way too..... Have fun!!:cheers:

Telephone poles are often treated with either creosote or CCA (Copper Chromated Arsenic) - both are serious cancer-causing substances. You probably already wear gloves but I'd also recommend wearing a dust mask to keep that stuff out of your lungs.

Latest posts

Back