Tell me a story about the 024!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yesterday a co-worker came in my office and asked me if I wanted a chainsaw, he said it runs but peeters out after awhile, he didn't want it and said that he knew I liked saws so offered it to me. At first he said it was a Skill saw, I said I didn't know Skill made chainsaws, after a moment he said it was a Stihl saw, I said yeah I've heard of them!! Today he brought it in and it turned out to be a 024 that is decent, I don't know much about this saw but kinda resembles a 026. So in a nutshell tell me alittle about this thing is it a decent saw or okay saw???:cheers:

As a matter of fact, I just got my free 024 put together last week (the one that came to me with an MS200 clutch...) and took to the woods last Saturday... Love it! Light, nimble, quite a runner. I thought the free 036 would be the saw to put the Mighty Farm Boss into semi-retirement, noooo!!! The 024 fills a niche that makes the 170 AND the 290 not-too-high on my grab-list.

Once upon a time, there was this little itty bitty chainsaw. One day, he had to go out and cut down a really big tree. He was So afraid, because he was just a little saw, but his mommy 066 told him to just try his very best. The liitle guy, 024, went right to work and he cut that big tree right down just like his mommy 066 told him to!

The End

Is that OK?

Last edited:
Very similar to the 026 as stated before. A search should provide ample information. If the 024 is the super version, it can bolt on a 026 top end. I just got mine running after finding a leak from me being a little sloppy cleaning up the old gasket. Then I sheared the flywheel key. But no fear, she is up and running good. Gonna give it the final tuning today.

The 024 would be a good replacement for your 011.

As a matter of fact, I just got my free 024 put together last week (the one that came to me with an MS200 clutch...) and took to the woods last Saturday... Love it! Light, nimble, quite a runner. I thought the free 036 would be the saw to put the Mighty Farm Boss into semi-retirement, noooo!!! The 024 fills a niche that makes the 170 AND the 290 not-too-high on my grab-list.

Hey bump r, would you be interested in selling that ms200 clutch.....I might be needing one shortly. Will find out later today.......

Once upon a time, there was this little itty bitty chainsaw. One day, he had to go out and cut down a really big tree. He was So afraid, because he was just a little saw, but his mommy 066 told him to just try his very best. The liitle guy, 024, went right to work and he cut that big tree right down just like his mommy 0666 told him to!

The End

Is that OK?

LOL, I figured some smart :censored: would do that. You could have "sexed" it up a bit:greenchainsaw:

LOL, I figured some smart :censored: would do that. You could have "sexed" it up a bit:greenchainsaw:

I had to go back and edit it. I made the mommy saw the devil by accident. Now what could be sexier than an 066?

Once upon a time, there was this little itty bitty chainsaw. One day, he had to go out and cut down a really big tree. He was So afraid, because he was just a little saw, but his mommy 066 told him to just try his very best. The liitle guy, 024, went right to work and he cut that big tree right down just like his mommy 066 told him to!

The End

Is that OK?

How 'bout "...just like his mommy 066, who was wearing a sheer black teddy at the time, told him to!"?

All kidding aside, the 024 is a sweet little saw, but most would just do an 026. Sort of like why buy a 210 when a 250 gives more power at the same weight.

At the price you paid, it's the perfect saw!

A search should provide ample information. The 024 would be a good replacement for your 011.

:censored: that searching, Not to pick on you epick but everytime someone asked a new question someone suggest "using the search" So in that sense no one should be posting anything new and the "New Post" button should be deleted, because for all the years that AS has been here there is only so many saws and so many things that can go wrong they should already be answered. Some of you guys act like this is a job and your making production bonus and someone asking a question that might be already out there is slowing them down... Chill if you don't want to answer keep clicking. The thing I hate about the search is it takes a long time before you get the information you want, you find out about everything else like who's :censored: who and who's getting fat, it fun but I don't care about reading it for hours.

Yes I was hoping the 024 would make a better saw than the 011, Because limbing with the 7900 is doable just not perfered:cheers:

:censored: that searching, Not to pick on you epick but everytime someone asked a new question someone suggest "using the search" So in that sense no one should be posting anything new and the "New Post" button should be deleted, because for all the years that AS has been here there is only so many saws and so many things that can go wrong they should already be answered. Some of you guys act like this is a job and your making production bonus and someone asking a question that might be already out there is slowing them down... Chill if you don't want to answer keep clicking. The thing I hate about the search is it takes a long time before you get the information you want, you find out about everything else like who's :censored: who and who's getting fat, it fun but I don't care about reading it for hours.

Yes I was hoping the 024 would make a better saw than the 011, Because limbing with the 7900 is doable just not perfered:cheers:
+1...
But the 024: I have a lot repsect for this saw. I learnt on my dad's 024AVS. I know you always here the story of "I know a guy with one that beat the #### out of it, ran it on straight petrol, no bar oil, ran over it with a D9 and keeps it underwater and it still runs great never had a problem" etc..

But Seriously, my dad bought his 024 about 1986. He is one of those people that doesn't 'get' machines - he treats it rough. Has done all its life, and flogged the guts out of it cutting firewood. It's never had a major repair (bar air/fuel filter cleaning, sharpening etc.) and still runs flawlessly and 170psi(the gauge works)! Got run on 1:20 most of its life (before I saw the light/AS) .

Oh yeah and it's a light, gutsy, nippy little thing too. The 026 may have more grunt, but I'd put money on a 024 outlasting it - less stress on the bottom end.

It also shouldn't be used in the same sentence, let alone post as a 170,210,250,290 and 011

Last edited:
:censored: that searching, Not to pick on you epick but everytime someone asked a new question someone suggest "using the search" So in that sense no one should be posting anything new and the "New Post" button should be deleted, because for all the years that AS has been here there is only so many saws and so many things that can go wrong they should already be answered. Some of you guys act like this is a job and your making production bonus and someone asking a question that might be already out there is slowing them down... Chill if you don't want to answer keep clicking.

Gink,
Don't beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel.:)

I sorry dude, but everything can't be spoon fed to ya. I gave you some info on it and said a search will provide more. Nothing wrong with that.

Some more info on the saw. The 024 has different plastics and air filter than the 026. Also, a lot of 024s have 1 bar stud that has threads. Best set up is a 16" bar.

Hey bump r, would you be interested in selling that ms200 clutch.....I might be needing one shortly. Will find out later today.......

Carp! I should have known! I let the dealer keep it 'cause I knew I'd never afford/own a 200. SORRY!!!!!

Next time I'm in I'ss see if he'll part with it . You got dibs, epic.

It also shouldn't be used in the same sentence, let alone post as a 170,210,250,290 and 011

My bad.

Also, the use of the search feature would NOT have yielded my fresh, new, first-impression of the saw. So yes, there is new stuff under the sun. It's a discussion forum, not a library.

Okay, the work day seemed like it took forever to get over with but once I got home I pulled into the shop and tried starting it, it wouldn't fire on it's so I poured a little mix in the carb and it fired off and ran until it ran out. It looks good it's in nice condition, needs a new air filter and pushes 175lbs. of pressure. So tommorow I will screw with it some more, looks like maybe a carb kit next.
Can you take a 026 P&C and put on it? I compared it to a buddies 026 tonight they do look similiar except the air filter cover, air filter and the 2 studs+P&C. I did end up finding the displacement and HP, but how do you know what model it is, wether it's a 024 or a 024S??? It looks like the 024 is 42cc and the 024S is 44.3cc?

So how do you know if it's a Super, I take it it will say on the ID tag? Whats the clue? It looks like the Super has the same stroke as the 026 with 32mm but bores are 42mm &(026)44mm.

I just noticed the stroke from the 024 is 30mm and the 024 Super is 32mm.

Last edited:
Back