Tell us about your weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-25 and windy for morning. Had a frozen pipe today at home. I've a good wife, as it was thawed when I got home.
Holy Cats! She's a keeper. In 35 years of cohabitation , I've NEVER had a spouse thaw a pipe. Had several frozen ones where I wasn't able to drop everything and fix it, usually caught holy hell because of it. Even when it wasn't my fault.

Haven't seen a cloud in days. I have a racoon tan from my dark glasses. All windows open and a nice breeze coming in didn't even close them last night. The mole people are shriveling. I'll still take it over the normal 30 - 34 degrees and rain though. I feel for you guys farther east.

If we don't hit a major long term rain belt, come summer we're gonna burn. In a big nasty way.

Owl

11 degrees at 5am. 50 degrees and sun sun sun at 2pm. Supposedly there's a foot of snow coming in the next three days. At 8800 there is only 18" on the ground right now. Weird. It should be around 4 1/2 feet.

If is was -31 in the U.P this morning The Lake must be pretty well frozen over. I wish I was there!

Gonna try to finish up the last truck load of the season tomorrow then call the lowboy.

While the current forecast shows no chance of precip for at least a week, it's not too late for a rainy June. We get those often.

I just asked one of the fire guys around these parts how he felt about the upcoming season. His reply, "I don't know, ask me in June."

High basin snowpack has been trending average, but the snow line is awfullying high. A lot of the loggers are down right now. Breakup conditions in Feb is a bummer.

I drove over to Yakima on a mission to bring home a mutt yesterday. I hadn't been on the pass since skiing there in January. There were very few cars at the ski area, which was open. The snow berm from plowing was mostly gone. The woods are bare of snow along the highway until the 4500' level. I did bring home a mutt.

We had an el nino winter in 1980-81. Then it was a wet summer so fires weren't much of a problem.

We had an el nino winter in 1980-81. Then it was a wet summer so fires weren't much of a problem.
All of teh discussion I read says we aren't in an El Nino. But if you look at the sea surface temperatures, it's above average. I think it's a splitting hairs kind of thing. I see the Climate Prediction Center has issued a new drought forecast http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/sdo_summary.html
Basically, the entire west is looking at developing or worsening drought, with the exception of Wyoming, Montana and much of Idaho. Even calling for developing drought west of the Cascades. Get ready to start working Hoot Owl shifts in June...

Gray day here today, but not too bad. Good day to build fence, need to get some more area fenced to get the wife's cute goats out running around. And hopefully, get rid of a briar patch.

I drove over to Yakima on a mission to bring home a mutt yesterday. I hadn't been on the pass since skiing there in January. There were very few cars at the ski area, which was open. The snow berm from plowing was mostly gone. The woods are bare of snow along the highway until the 4500' level. I did bring home a mutt.

This mutt have a name, and maybe some pictures?

And how is TUD taking it?

The mutt is smaller than planned but I liked her cheery attitude. Her name is Joonie. She is 8 months old. She's a mongrel--think small lab mix with curly tail. She retrieves. I found out today she points. I suspect there's some spaniel in her. She also had never been off a leash or out of a fenced yard until this evening. I turned her loose at a house that sits in the middle of nowhere. She ran at full speed out into the woods, came back, made a couple laps around the house, took off to the bottom of the hill, ran back up and around the house, and finally came back to me. That's going to take some work. She might have made a good little hunting dog, or not.

The Used Dog and she finally played hard together at the same house. They have soft carpet so I guess both dogs liked rolling around on it. Just before coming into the house, Joonie decided to tangle with the Grapple Cat, who is not a cat to fool with. As the hissing and spitting began, The Used Dog came over and was going to go after the cat from the other side. I jerked Joonie away and Grapple escaped.

The slightly used dog is making me walk and walk fast. That is a reason to get a younger dog. TUD cannot go anymore.
DSCN1237.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1236.JPG
    DSCN1236.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
All of teh discussion I read says we aren't in an El Nino. But if you look at the sea surface temperatures, it's above average. I think it's a splitting hairs kind of thing. I see the Climate Prediction Center has issued a new drought forecast http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/sdo_summary.html
Basically, the entire west is looking at developing or worsening drought, with the exception of Wyoming, Montana and much of Idaho. Even calling for developing drought west of the Cascades. Get ready to start working Hoot Owl shifts in June...

Gray day here today, but not too bad. Good day to build fence, need to get some more area fenced to get the wife's cute goats out running around. And hopefully, get rid of a briar patch.
This climate change stuff sucks! Check out the Cal Fire vid.
http://wildfiretoday.com/page/3/

Sunny and 60 on the coast today. Light winds. No rain in the immediate forecast but this area is at over 90% of average rainfall. So far so good.
It's nice to walk in the woods and not hear pine needles crunching underfoot.

ICK ICK ICK!

Tick tick tick...

I went on one of my favorite walks. I can step out the back door, walk up a road then it turns into a path through reprod on a ridge top, then it connects with roads that are gated and on private land--no traffic till I hit the county road.

There are ticks! Lots of them. I was brushing them off my arms and legs. I got a bite in my side and pulled it right off but now have major welts--it looks like the tick stealthily chewed a while. I get major welts from them. Found one on my neck--just crawling. Just got out of the shower. I brushed off the pup, but will have to check her again. I haven't seen ticks like this since leaving Wisconsin.

I HATE TICKS!!!

Back