Tempature settings on OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I built my second OWB this summer(hopefully I cured all the mistakes i made on the first one)
This one is a natural draft and overall is working very well .I currently have long recovery times and stove needs long burn times to recover.I'm currently using a 10 degree differential and was wondering if using a 5 degree would make difference.

what do some of you guys run your at?

My OWB Temperature settings

My stove is a Mahoning 300. For this time of year I have the turn on temp at near 140 deg F and it shuts down at about 165. When it gets much colder I'll tweek that to on at 155 and off at 175.

What I've learned.
When I load it in the morning I like to use natural draft to keep the smoke levels down especially on calm mornings with no or little wind.

At night I do a combination of natural and forced draft to keep the smoke levels reasonable. The smoke in very cold weather isn't as bad since less creosote is present. Of course, good seasoned wood is the best choice to keep smoke levels low. Coal works great in very cold weather. Its like a lava rock in there that keeps on giving. Cycles alot less.

I now have a wireless temp monitor on the incoming domestic hot water line in the basement so I can see the temp in my kitchen. This line is a constant circulator. Helps manage when I need to add fuel.

Its a redi-check meat smoker thermometer made by Maverick. I got it on ebay for about $30. Batteries lasted nearly a month on my first set.
I like it alot.

Good luck with your new unit.......J

I built my second OWB this summer(hopefully I cured all the mistakes i made on the first one)
This one is a natural draft and overall is working very well .I currently have long recovery times and stove needs long burn times to recover.I'm currently using a 10 degree differential and was wondering if using a 5 degree would make difference.

Just curious, how thick is the firebox and what is the water capacity. Last year I had a Shaver 165 with a 1/2" thick firebox. It took for ever to recover. I upgraded to a larger model for this year and ordered it with a 3/8" firebox. Granted, the weather has been fairly mild and I've only been up and running for 1 week. But this thing will recover from 145 to 160 in about 7 minutes, sometimes less. I believe it holds 260 gal. of water. Rated at 280k btu. Both furnaces use forced draft.

Stihl ms650 36"
Stihl ms441 25"
30T Splitter
Polaris Ranger 700 6X6
Dodge Cummins w/ air ride
Shaver 290

Latest posts

Back