Ten Week Tree Surgeons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe we do?

dont they appear on the isa forum...if its that active, which when i check it, it never is.

jamie

jamie said:
maybe we do?

dont they appear on the isa forum...if its that active, which when i check it, it never is.

jamie

Well my apologies to treevolution etc if you do partake in any arb forum..

maybe we just have too much free time on our hands. mental note must work in the dark. buy a bigger head torch.

jamie

I done the ten week course this year, have been climbing a couple of years before that. The ten week course is actually a good learning oppurtunity, even for people with years of experience. Especially so actually, coz with no experience ur only gonna pick up basics not to kill urself, but if u got the basics you can pick up on the more subtle things.

teressa green said:
10 week tree surgery course,my arse,bloody hell, 50 days in a class room ,reading bloody books ,listerning to bullchit,10 bloody weeks ,is this the ultimate belittling of this industry,could someone teach me plumbing in 10 weeks ,no ,or brick laying,no ,what crap,bloody hells bells ,bloody hell get me a beer,before i piss myself laughing,,,,,imagine applying for a job in the real world with 50 days classroom experience ,,,,,,my motto ,earn while you learn ,20 plus yrs in the job and still learning daily ,

Teressa,

When I was there, they went to great lengths to tell us that 10 weeks is hardly enough time to scratch the surface. I think they were a few of us who thought we'd know it all at the end, but the staff told it like it is (I wish a few other colleges would do likewise - I'm sick of having employees with less than a year's experience thinking they deserve £100 + per day..:bang: ) Of the 10 weeks, at least half was practical, outdoors climbing trees. The rest, the bullchit and bloody books, made the difference between us being arborists or ljust hacks.

Buzz, I got the date wrong, I was there November 1996 onwards. I was staying off campus, living in a caravan in a wood in Cobham.

If anyone's still there, get Derek to show you his safety video "Shake hands with danger"...

Buzzlightyear said:
It is quite amusing !
I asked my lad how long do you reckon before you can do that, he replies, when i've finished my course ! I think the trouble is it looks easy from the ground !

it only looks easy to them, because they must be watching a good climber. becoming a good climber takes whey more than the power of observation
its time in the harness, putting live into the pages of text book is hard regardless of the authors best attempts, they never explain what a tree can teach you

gave the newb a shot today, talked him thru climbing to 20ft and dropping one small limb, gave him a silky, went out of my way to make it easier for him, telling him wee tips and techniques to get up easier, it was a small cherry only took him half an hour. he now appreciates more how much thought is involved

jamie

Latest posts

Back