Thanksgiving Traditions......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickochet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As I sit by the warmth of the wood stove before the "feast", I began reminiscing about the Thanksgiving Days of many years past. It has been a long standing tradition for my 3 sons and I to get up early and stomp through the woods with my faithful 12 gauge (and for the little guys their trusty Red Ryder B-B guns) looking for the wascally wabbits. It wasn't very often that we actually brought home any meat, but "We were making some great rememories" as the middle son once said. (My wife and daughter would be preparing the meal, with a store bought turkey of course.)

As the boys grew into young men, they traded in their Red Ryders for Remingtons. Before I knew it, they were all out of the house and busy with chasing game of a different species. (Two legged deer.) Two of the boys were successful with their quest and one is still chasing a career that requires much of his time. My daughter is now a nurse with a large family of her own which occupies every moment of her time as well.

So now they are all busy. We won't be able to hunt for wabbits this morning, but we will all gather at the in-laws for an awesome Thanksgiving meal.

The old "Cats in the Cradle with the Silver Spoon" song sure hits home at times. For those of you with kids, be sure to take some time for "making rememories" and also to let those around you know that you love and appreciate them.

Time travels by quickly and one often never gets a second chance at doing things that either you did with your dad or wished you did with him. Spend some time with your kids and someday, you too will be able to draw upon those "rememories" to make you feel pretty darn good!

I will advise you though.... those memories tends to make one well up a just tad. My beautiful bride just asked me "What ya doin?" I said, "Oh just thinkin......." as a tear runs down my cheek.

How about you??? Any good traditions you want to share?

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!!!

i can remember growing up as a kid. We would all go to my grandparents house and feast with cousins. As my grandparents grew older with all of us kids it was harder to get everybody together. About 18 years ago my mom took over thanksgiving, my grandparents passed 10+ years ago. I took over the whole thanksgiving bit when I got out on my own. I have been cooking for 10 years now. My brother and sister are always at their in-laws, no matter what time we plan there is always a conflict.
For the past 8 years I have cooked thanksgiving dinner for my folks and my family (wife and son). It has always been a wonderful experience. I lost my parents last month and wondered what I was going to do, not having to cook for them. My wife decided that I should NOT break tradition. So I am cooking this year in memory of mom and dad. My wife spoke to some friends who were not able to be with their families this year and they are coming over here. Is this the start of a new tradition? Time will tell.

Happy Thanksgiving all, Remember what you have to be thankful for.

Jeff

As I sit by the warmth of the wood stove before the "feast", I began reminiscing about the Thanksgiving Days of many years past. It has been a long standing tradition for my 3 sons and I to get up early and stomp through the woods with my faithful 12 gauge (and for the little guys their trusty Red Ryder B-B guns) looking for the wascally wabbits. It wasn't very often that we actually brought home any meat, but "We were making some great rememories" as the middle son once said. (My wife and daughter would be preparing the meal, with a store bought turkey of course.)

As the boys grew into young men, they traded in their Red Ryders for Remingtons. Before I knew it, they were all out of the house and busy with chasing game of a different species. (Two legged deer.) Two of the boys were successful with their quest and one is still chasing a career that requires much of his time. My daughter is now a nurse with a large family of her own which occupies every moment of her time as well.

So now they are all busy. We won't be able to hunt for wabbits this morning, but we will all gather at the in-laws for an awesome Thanksgiving meal.

The old "Cats in the Cradle with the Silver Spoon" song sure hits home at times. For those of you with kids, be sure to take some time for "making rememories" and also to let those around you know that you love and appreciate them.

Time travels by quickly and one often never gets a second chance at doing things that either you did with your dad or wished you did with him. Spend some time with your kids and someday, you too will be able to draw upon those "rememories" to make you feel pretty darn good!

I will advise you though.... those memories tends to make one well up a just tad. My beautiful bride just asked me "What ya doin?" I said, "Oh just thinkin......." as a tear runs down my cheek.

How about you??? Any good traditions you want to share?

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!!!

I understand what you're saying completely.Had a new grandaughter born 11-2-10 to my oldest daughter,on 11-13-10, me and my 14 month old grandson walked his mommy down the aisle and gave her away to a very good young man and my baby will graduate from high school in May.The month of November has been kind of a reflection of the past.You would'nt keep them little forever but you sure would like to slow it down. Scott

They grow up too fast, thanks for the story, kinda put a lump in my throat.

Heres' to wabbit season;

attachment.php

Thanks for sharing your memories. We just sent our youngest to college this fall.(in Marion IN). Ive had several just thinking moments in the past few months.

Thanks for sharing your memories. We just sent our youngest to college this fall.(in Marion IN). Ive had several just thinking moments in the past few months.

Coopersnowblue-- You left your youngest in good hands. I am a graduate of IWU and also Huntington University. Both are outstanding schools, but I will always have a special spot for IWU. Two of my sons began their college adventures at IWU. My youngest son is a senior who transferred to Ball State to complete his quest for a journalism degree.

We had a good time Thanksgiving Day at my lovely wife's parents house. Had a nice reminiscing visit with the kids that just didn't last long enough. But it was more time to build those "rememories."

Now, if I can just get them to come out & help cut some wood. That is when the "Cat's in the Cradle" always seems to be heard. Funny but my skinny lil' 15 year old granddaughter loves to come visit us in the woods and works just as hard as the boys once did. Plus she is having fun! Life is good and we are always making new "rememories"-- hope we can make them all good ones!:biggrinbounce2:

There are two parts to our tradition.

In August or September is the first part. I brave the flies, heat, rain, etc. and hike in to a super secret huckleberry patch. It is like having a secret fishing hole, or even a pot garden. Huckleberry patch locations are only revealed to dear friends. I pick. I try to get 3 gallons but sometimes, like this year, they are too scarce. I hike out, fingers and clothing stained with purple. My hands are sticky. The Used Dog is tired, dusty, and whining.

The berries are driven home, get cleaned, and then some are put in the freezer, some are canned in jars. Huckleberries are a valuable item so I don't trust the freezer completely.

Come Thanksgiving, the precious, tart, purple berries are made into a delicious pie. YUM! More pies for Christmas, and then for special occasions.

I don't know who started the huckleberry tradition. I have been picking them off and on for most of my life. I remember carrying a coffee can around on steep ground as a little kid. Our beagle would run around and pick, and also knock over our cans, spilling the berries. The muffler would usually get knocked off of the station wagon causing my dad to say a few mild cuss words. On the way home, we'd drive through town, all dusty and sticky. If we stopped anywhere, people would look at us strangely, and ask if the apple picking was good.

Last edited:
Awesome story...sounds a lot like our family only it was grouse instead of wabbits.
We also would trudge out the day after Turkey day into our huge balsam swamp to cut our Christmas tree.

Looking back does bring back some fond memories. One year we had so much snow that we made snow shoes out of plywood and bungee straps.
I recall pops under a balsam when my brother tugged on a limb just over his head that was loaded with snow. Yup pops was pummled under a bunch of snow. Well you can guess what happened...the entire family proceeded into tackling and shoving each other into snow banks. Talk about laughter!
ok ...hear comes the tear......

Rickochet, that was a very touching post and it has mirrored my thoughts this weekend. Here in the western NC mountains we had a tradition of slaughtering our hogs on Thanksgiving. Let me tell you right now that there's nothing more tasty as fresh pork tenderloin, green beans and mashed potatoes from the garden, corn bread, fried apple pie, and sweet milk for Thanksgiving "supper". If the Lord lets me live to retirement in just a few years I hope that I can start that tradition again with my grown kids and family friends. I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving and wish you many more. Again, a very nice post.

Back