thats right! another porting question topic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
was wondering when doing a woods port, if you mess with the transfers ( angle the intakes twords the intake) is leaning more twords a race saw port? just wondering what is the best way for a woods port and to still have good reliability?

from what ive seen the transfers is where your going to screw up. if your gona screw up

widen intake and exhaust and clean casting lines from transfers thats good woods port

I almost always bring the rear transfer back towards the intake. That gives me more area without raising them and also helps direct the charge towards the back corner. Watch out for the ring location pin on two ring pistons.

from what ive seen the transfers is where your going to screw up. if your gona screw up

widen intake and exhaust and clean casting lines from transfers thats good woods port

:agree2:

You shouldn't mess with the transfers unless you have a lot of experience. For the transfer ports pattern of flow is more important than the amount of flow.

Edisto, from where do you get your information?

As far as I know, there is no such thing as "pattern of flow."

An engine is a pump, if you pump more fuel/air mix through it, you'll get more power. It may not be very "useable" power at the upper end of the performance spectrum, but it's there.

I would just smooth out the casting imperfections if it is your first time. One slip with the grinder and it won't run worth a toot.

Edisto, from where do you get your information?

As far as I know, there is no such thing as "pattern of flow."

An engine is a pump, if you pump more fuel/air mix through it, you'll get more power. It may not be very "useable" power at the upper end of the performance spectrum, but it's there.

That philosophy works with the intake and the exhaust, but the direction of flow from the transfers is critical for scavenging. It's not a simple matter of pumping in and pumping out like a 4-stroke because the transfer and exhaust are open simultaneously.

I did a Quick port job last night. I just opened up the exhaust and polished it (squared up the top mostly). I opened up the intake a little (ovaled the bottom a little) and took the bottom lip off. I left the intake texture as it was (I read don't smooth it). I got a good power gain. I left the transfers alone. Does polishing the transfers help? I didn't want to take to much off because I can do more later if I need to. Should I Polish the transfers? What about the intake?

From what I have read, smooth is more important than polished. I know it seems like those are the same thing, but you can put a mirror finish on a port wall that has divots and bumps and have worse flow than a rougher wall that has even contours.

For example, if there is a pit at one point, it is better to leave it than to polish a divot at that spot to get rid of the pit. The pit will cause some turbulence, but the divot could have a major impact on flow.

I would "clean up" the transfers, but for proper scavenging the flow has to be balanced between paired ports, so if one gets wider then the other, you could impair scavenging.

witch is a better way to go... a pop-up piston or raise the exhaust port the thickness of the gaskit?

Last edited:
Back