That's Right, Rain Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Not sure of the actual statistics, but it rained all day yesterday and the high temp for the day was 52 degrees. It slowed down enough in the morning for me to get two thirds of a load of firewood cut. We have had two decent days in the last 30, June set records for dismal days.

This year we made the decision to up the garden size and take it a bit more seriously, without the sun it hasn't faired well at all.

Yeah, tired of the rain. We did a VERY small garden this year for the first time and it's not going so well. It's also messing with my firewood drying out. It's bad enough that the wood doesn't get any direct sun when it is out, so having no sun and lots of rain... UGH! :cry: Got to take the tarps off the wood for a whole 3 days!

Send it down here, I'll take it, no rain in the forecast here for the next 2 months. :mad:

rained here 2 or 3 times yesterday.

after midnight it rained some more.lot's of thunder.

Send it down here, I'll take it, no rain in the forecast here for the next 2 months. :mad:

Wish it were that easy, we would gladly spread the wealth.

In the days of old this rain would have presented a serious problem when it came to drying the winter's wood and having enough food from the garden. Over time people canned enough food for two years and put up double the needed firewood.

Not sure of the actual statistics, but it rained all day yesterday and the high temp for the day was 52 degrees. It slowed down enough in the morning for me to get two thirds of a load of firewood cut. We have had two decent days in the last 30, June set records for dismal days.

This year we made the decision to up the garden size and take it a bit more seriously, without the sun it hasn't faired well at all.

We also made the decision to upsize the garden with the same results. It is not doing well at all. All of my neighbor’s gardens look the same.

In June, there were only 4 days without rain. Thus far, every day of July except one has rained.

My wood piles are growing the most interesting mushrooms!

My firewood is drying ok...just getting a heck of a pile of new stuff buiding up on me cuz I aint crazy about sawin' and splittin' in a downpour. Gotta scoot the dump truck down to Hollis this week sometime..arborist I know has about 2 cord of oak for me to load up and haul home and add to my "To do" list. My garden can also use some of that rare stuff known as sunshine too. Raining so much on it..plants are turning yellow.

Same here. I've got wood on the ground in the backyard that I dumped out of my trailer almost two months ago. I've been waiting for it to dry off a little before I stacked it. My veggies look like some deformed Gilligan's Island vegetables....... my green peppers had a bad case of stunted growth along with some of the worst cellulite thrown in for good measure. I cut em all off and threw them away. Its looking to be an even worse year for vegetables than last year. :dizzy:

At least my lawn (ok....... weeds really) looks half decent!

Rain Rain Rain -- go the #@%^ away!!!!
Just came in after spending 1/2 hr without rain why? It started raining AGAIN!:blob2::blob2:

i rent, and dads wood supply is well ahead. the garden is so so. peas, tomatoes and potatoes are doing excellent. but the corn all died, my spinach lettuce and swiss chard are dismal failures. and all the wifes flowers drowned.

glad im not loggin anymore. even if you could sell the wood, you cant get to it.

So, that was summer?

I did manage to get about 3 cord split (about 1/3 of that had to be bucked, too) with my father's White 31 Ton splitter during the few non-rainy days we just had. Now to get it stacked, and get a few warm sunny days so I can tarp the tops of my (about 6 cord) firewood for the winter and start taking down more ice storm damage to get next year's supply under way. Oh how great it would be to be a year ahead!

Excuse me while I sing my Alice's Restaurant Chainsaw Massacre, it's a threadjack, but I need to vent...

I found out my 2159 has a bad crankcase seal. My local dealer is fixing it at no cost to me...he had to fire his technician recently, and I think my saw was one of the reasons (Jonny Red won't cover it b/c they already put a piston and cylinder in it and it crapped out again because the guy didn't do a leakdown to determine the real problem). It'll probably be a while before I get the saw back, though.

In the meantime, I had borrowed my father's old Jonsereds 451E (or is it EV?), but the old bar was shot and all his chains had been used to so stump removal in a gravel pit, so I got a new bar and some loops. Fifteen minutes use and the bar tip seized and I threw a chain. Not sure what happened, maybe I dropped the tip, but I don't think so. Of course, this is Sunday afternoon and NOBODY has a 16" .325 .058 bar around, so I lose a bunch of time and have to pick around the stuff that hasn't been bucked in my big disorganized pile of future firewood.

Monday morning arrives, and I go down to get a bar. Guy says he's out, but has some coming UPS due in a few hours. So I go kill some time and come back. Wrong bar.

At this point, the smoke is pouring out of my ears, so I go for a drive and end up at the second nearest Dolmar dealer. And out I came with a brandy new Dolmar 510. I know, you're all saying, "Not a 5100s?" First, the 510 was about $100 cheaper, second the dealer said he's sold about 25 510's, and not one has been back for service yet, and he's sold 12 5100's and three have come back blown up/melted down. He did admit that he thinks some of the failures were operators just limbing wide open non-stop, but after he listened to my Chainsaw Massacree in four part harmony he said the bulletproof 510 was probably the better choice for me.

And you know what? It works fine, even with the stock safety chain. I'm caught up with this year's wood, and now I can tackle other projects like the rest of the ice storm clean up at my house, my sister in law's, my father in law's, my parents', it just doesn't end, does it?

Kind of like the rain around here. The next two days might not be that bad...I hope.

Back