The 50:1 2 Cycle Oil Myth ? "epa"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now this statement here needs some serious thought and discussion.

Since the fuel and oil ratio, and with the fuel/mix-air ratio, are VERY
relative to the subject, and since any data here will be dismissed as
an epa conspiracy, what, pray tell, is the "CORRECT" oil/fuel ratio, and
so which "correct tuning" or rpm's are the correct way to tune?

If we buy into all of this jibberish, you say 32:1 is the correct ratio,
then someone tommorrow will start a thread saying 16:1 is the only way to go

To prove the absurdity of any stance, take it to the extreme either way.
16 to 1 on one side, 100 to 1 on the other, amsoil, ultra, Wal Mart, whatever.

We can tromp through all of the bull either way, and still end up where we
started, but let's at least make sure every one understands what is being
discussed. Since the oil is mixed with the fuel, then the fuel/air, and the
fuel/oil ratios are extremely related. And the science behind all of this
is there. So by just going with a 32:1, because grandpa did, and I have
done it thus for 30 years, does not prove anything. As these saws have been running on a 50:1 for quite a while as well, and a lot of money has been invested in R&D, and the thought of some "conspiracy" is absurd.
To make it even more thought provoking, you say more oil is better, then
one might ask, what weight oil. I am guessing straight 90 weight would be better, using your logic, or if not, just use straight 5w, or a real light oil, like kerosene, that would even be better, right?
Read through the posts on the subject that have been beat to death in the past on this site, there is some good info there.

I believe in using 2 cycle oil designed for air cooled engines in such engines. I mentioned using from 15 to 1 to 50 to 1 in this tread and past threads and I have mentioned I understand many successfully run 50 to 1 which I attribute primarily to better quality oil. I have read through most of the oil threads and I have concluded that what I have found out is 25 to 1 has worked best for me for what I do without getting jibberish and bringing 5w and 90 weight into an 2 cycle mix discussion. I learned what I know by experiance and observation. No matter how scientific this or any discussion gets , I have learned common since always is necessary to understand the point of the matter. Lets try to bring to light what some of you may being trying to make sense of concerning the oil to gas mixture and fuel to air relationship.
Say you run 25 to 1 (oil to gas). Properly tuned ( air filters not clogged,ignition system works fine, and you have adequate compression,no air leaks ,etc.you adjust the carb metering screws which adjust the fuel to are mixture so that your saw is near maximum performance without exceeding max rpms.Not a specific rpm except less then max where your saw pulls best and starts well and your plug should be light tan or close to it in color. ( This is how I aim to maintain my saws and it works very well and I run well used mostly stihl saws)
Now say I mixed 50 to 1 (gas to oil) tomorrow. The science is 25 to 1 is thicker (using the same oil) Now I put 50 to 1 in my saw.To get the same flow rate of fuel to airthe thinner 50 to 1 mix is going to flow faster through your carb(so apply some more science) so you must re adjust your carb fuel to air mixtureto get the maximum performance with out exceeding max rpm on the new 50 to 1 mix ratio, like I did when I adjusted it the first time with 25 to 1.
Ok, I notice less smoke at cold start but after a couple cuts I would think I notice little difference then yesterday( some yes but little because when my saws are properly tuned they burn clean enough I barely see smoke if I do at 25 to 1 cutting.) Judging from past experiance my old ebay rattletrap 026 would feel not quite as powerful as yesterday after a good warm up round or 2 switching to 50to1 probably because its borderline compression and the extra oil at 25 to 1 was helping it out increasing compression,reducing frictiion and burning nearly as clean as the 50 to1 and certainly clean enough where I have no heavy carbon build up over many years or probably thousands of hours. The 044 I bought of ebay feels significantly more powerful to me this year then last after I purchased it and I attribute most of that to the effects of extra lubrication doing a better job then when it was probably getting less from its previous owner.
Probably a new saw would not utilize the benifits of 25 to 1 like my older well used saws and if you didn't keep your saw well tuned there is an advantage of less carbon if your making enough to cause problems and if your engine tuning is causing excess smoke you will have less at 50 to 1 comparing apples to apples tuning with each mix. And am not ignorant or in denial that carbon build could build up on top the piston and start hammering on the head destroying the top end. Its never happened to me though, I've seen it in shop manuals.
I wish I could have learned something from my grandpa's,but they died before I could ride a bicycle. I learned from my own experiance trying differant things and consulting with the best mechanics I knew and observing information provided to me in manuals and actual oil ratio test. I worked a couple years in a motorcycle shop and a week of training covered oil including 2 cycle mixes.
No claims to infinate knowledge,but I have found not forsaking what knowledge I have a better option then taking advice over my knowledge. That many times has cost me problems in the past in other life experiances thinking that anothers advice exceeded my previous experiance.
I hope I haven't been confusing to anyone and please don't struggle trying to understand my points
( It looks simple to me and I think it should to you all to)if it doesnt make
sense to you.
IN short I am not saying any one ratio is best always. I believe you can do well from 16 to 1 to 50 to 1, maintnence and tuning of your engine being the by far the most determining factor in what is best. Under or over these ratios you can very easily begin to have problems due to the extremes of either effect with todays average air cooled 2 cycle oils. Your very best oils availuble may do better then that , but I cannot afford to go that route in the case I had reliability problems. If I had new saws under warranty and they said to use less oil it would be differant.
Hope you all enjoyed another mix ratio post and do the right thing for you.

On my Kx500 I can get around 200 hours then its time for rings. After two sets of rings have been worn I then replace the piston.

Last edited:
Sounds like after 9 pages of debate, we are still 32:1 and 50:1. After all these stories, I think I' am more likely to go for a Honda 4 cycle trimmer with separate oil so I can stay clear of the too lean at one end and carbon at the other end.

People trashed 4 cycle with separate oil, maybe they should rethink again!! The sickening thing is even if you use correct oil and ratio, if carb is too lean, you doom anyway. At least with separate oil, I'll get oil no matter what. Too hot maybe, but....I still have oil, got to be a lot more forgiving, correct?

BTW I mix some new gas oil today and I notice the bottom of the empty container have something looks like oil droplet suspend in water. But it was all gas, I was using Shindaiwa One before, I used up all, only a little left, looks like the mixture already degrade just sitting at the bottom. The thing is the old mixture was made only 3 weeks ago!!!! The can was new, I rinsed with gas before I do the mix that time to make sure it's was clean. Where are those droplets came from???!!! I used Stab-Bilt too!!!. Is it true the gas degrade faster with oil in it?? THREE WEEKS ONLY!!!!

For you professionals, you use up gallons of gas a week, I am just a home owner, one gallon last a long time. Don't sound like home owner and weekend warrior should get into 2 cycle or 4Mix that require mixing oil!!! Stay with separate oil 4 cycle.!!

You all have a nice day.

Sounds like after 9 pages of debate, we are still 32:1 and 50:1. After all these stories, I think I' am more likely to go for a Honda 4 cycle trimmer with separate oil so I can stay clear of the too lean at one end and carbon at the other end.

People trashed 4 cycle with separate oil, maybe they should rethink again!! The sickening thing is even if you use correct oil and ratio, if carb is too lean, you doom anyway. At least with separate oil, I'll get oil no matter what. Too hot maybe, but....I still have oil, got to be a lot more forgiving, correct?

BTW I mix some new gas oil today and I notice the bottom of the empty container have something looks like oil droplet suspend in water. But it was all gas, I was using Shindaiwa One before, I used up all, only a little left, looks like the mixture already degrade just sitting at the bottom. The thing is the old mixture was made only 3 weeks ago!!!! The can was new, I rinsed with gas before I do the mix that time to make sure it's was clean. Where are those droplets came from???!!! I used Stab-Bilt too!!!. Is it true the gas degrade faster with oil in it?? THREE WEEKS ONLY!!!!

For you professionals, you use up gallons of gas a week, I am just a home owner, one gallon last a long time. Don't sound like home owner and weekend warrior should get into 2 cycle or 4Mix that require mixing oil!!! Stay with separate oil 4 cycle.!!

You all have a nice day.

Sounds like you have a problem with "Command of the english language" but besides that you are calling for 4 stroke and that makes me laugh. No one who is serious will ever run 4 stroke. 2 stroke is where it's at and always will be (hopefully).:hmm3grin2orange:

That is the point, we are not as serious, you can get the best equipment and get gum up by degrading gas, what does that lead you. If you are professional, that is a different case. I am talking about people using it ones every week or two.

You have a good explaination for what I saw? I don't think I want that in my equipment.

What you saw was probably water. Most likely from your gas can or you mixed it with alcohol gas and didn't have a sealed container. There's no problem with almost any gas 60-90 days... and much longer with decent gas.

Once every week or two? Millions of guys are running 2-stroke just like that, or even less frequently. As for gum... forms in unmixed gas just as readily as mixed gas... and trashes carbs just the same.

As for your "too lean, carbon stuff.. ," despite the owners, almost every 2 stroke manages to make to end of life without a problem. If Honda was so much better (not), then they'd have taken the market like they did with their small engines (GX), and every other manf would be 4-stroke wet sump...

Last edited:
The container is air tight, The container was new, first time use, I rinse it with gas before I did the mix 3 weeks ago. After I discover that, I dump out as much as possible, there were still some droplets left, I put some gas into to rinse it and it dissolve and disappeared. I use Stab-bil in the gas also in the last run before I discover the droplets.

Anyway, I just post what I saw. I have no idea what was that. I just thought if that was true, then 4 cycle is better, may be I am wrong, that's why I put this out. I hope I am wrong because that will limit me to very few trimmer I can get also. I am new at this, that's why I post to ask.
Thanks

You all have a nice day.
If you can spot impurities like the drops you mentioned then just dump the mix out and start over. Learn what “spoiled” gas smells like. Take a fresh can of gas and compare it to the tank contents of something that gets little use. You may be OK to add fresh premix to it but why take a chance? Dump it!
Try to get gas for premix that is 90 plus octane and 10 percent or less ethanol.
4 strokes are heavy, expensive, gutless, and can be costly to rebuild. :dizzy:

Sounds like you have a problem with "Command of the english language" but besides that you are calling for 4 stroke and that makes me laugh. No one who is serious will ever run 4 stroke. 2 stroke is where it's at and always will be (hopefully).:hmm3grin2orange:

Why do you care if it's two stroke or four so long as it performs well? You realize that when modern internal combustion engines were introduced in cars, some people were saying that steam was where it was at and where it always should be. :)

2 stroke is better than 4 and that is a fact . That's why most racing bikes are 2 stroke and pretty much all saws are too. Until they come out with something better I'll stick with two- stroke thank you. You guys really want a 4- stroke saw? Not me.

2 stroke is better than 4 and that is a fact . That's why most racing bikes are 2 stroke and pretty much all saws are too. Until they come out with something better I'll stick with two- stroke thank you. You guys really want a 4- stroke saw? Not me.

2 stroke is definetely better for power to weight, but there is a reason why cars and street bikes don't run 2 stroke. And it's not just emissions, most of it is due to reliability and torque. 4 strokes win on both fronts. And by reliability I don't mean "it starts easy" I mean, "I drove it for 200k miles before it needed any maintenance."

So 2 strokes aren't better at everything, just certain things.

This thread has really "shifted gears"...........

This topic has been raging for a lot longer, and most people read only what
they want to agree with. So spending much time on one's posts is quite
futile...

But if one only put a spritz of "Marvel Mystery Oil" in their tank, then we
all would have no worries.........

Or was that "Stabil"........ No, something "Synthetic".............

Slick 50 Willie!!!!

That's why most racing bikes are 2 stroke and pretty much all saws are too.

When's the last time you watched a Supercross or Motocross event...

Not many 2 strokes out there at all...

The pro's have all switched to big bore 4 strokes over the 2 strokes.

The AMA even changed the Supercross classes from 250cc and 125cc to "Supercross" and "Supercross Lites" respectively. There isn't a single 2 stroke in any of those classes. Too many 450cc 4 strokes outperforming the 250cc 2 strokes, and same for the 250cc four strokes outperforming the 125 2 strokes. So they changed the names of the classes. Same goes for outdoor Motocross as well...

I love 2 strokes... all my dirt bikes will be 2 strokes as long as I can keep finding parts for them. But there will come a day... where they will just be a memory.

Gary

If everyone use 4 stroke with seperate oil, then nobody has to waist time typing on this posting goin no where and heated up!!:hmm3grin2orange:
And :deadhorse:

Everybody worries about what oil to use and what ratio. I admit I do too-even after my discussion with my brother about oil. Here's the story.

It was a long time ago maybe 20 or 25 years. He had sent off for some "Super Dupper" oil from a mortorcycle catalog to put in a 4-stroke bike. I think he paid about $7.00 or more per quart for it- which was a lot back then. I asked him why didn't you just go to the auto parts store and get some 10W - 30 or whatever it called for. He said "this gives better protection and will make my engine last longer". I thought for a little while then said " we're both 30 pounds over weight, don't exercise, and don't give a rats azz what junk we put in our bodies yet we worry about what oil to put in to increase engine life. These engines will probably out last us. If they don't last as long as we want, so what you can always replace them. We can't replace our bodies and we don't even worry about that! Does this sound like any of you other guys?

So I think just get a popular brand of oil dump it in 32:1 to 50:1 (split the difference 40:1) and don't worry about. Better yet do what the manual says.

The "oil" isn't what really protects your engine anymore. It's all of the additives. In fact, only about 30% of what's in those little bottles is actually oil. The rest is the protective stuff. Bright stocks, anti-scuffs, detergents.

There are quite a few witch doctors pouring out misinformation about oils and mix ratios here. And some of that misinformation comes directly from some of the bottles of that love potion put out from some aftermarket companies.

It's all a completely different set of rules now with all of the leaner, hotter running engines, along with the 10% ethanol fuels out there. If it's not JASO-FC, or FD, WITH a certification number, you don't know what you are getting, and you are asking for trouble.

Back