The best fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_5654.JPG IMG_5655.JPG IMG_5656.JPG

These pears not only have fireblight, but the worse problem is underground. I dug around the trunk flare, and whoever planted them a long while back, left plastic baling string around the base of them all, constricting it big time....hence the off color. Likely some girdling roots going on too. Anyway, I have the option of air spading, dealing w girdling roots and cutting all the strings hoping they'll improve. Or, removal and replace. My thoughts are(the latter option): The 1st photo there's not enough root area anyway, so replace with 2 smaller at maturity others (Washington Hawthorn?). The 2nd and 3rd photos, they are outgrowing their areas anyway,(flag pole in 2nd, flag tangles), So, besides issues of root string, possible girdles, planting a little too deep, and fireblight, there should be smaller trees planted. And, much larger dia mulch areas around transplants in 1st photo of "island"(not much of a spot anyway), w smaller replacement trees. Quite a job to dig out tho.

Any thoughts..agreements...disagreements?

Document the issues with the trees in writing & with pics. Present a proposal to the owners trying to salvage the trees the best you know how with no guarantees. Enjoy the learning challenge, the job & the income as long as it lasts.

+1 to what Raintree said...

Write up a 24 month management plan. Personally, I think they'll be fine. Cut the blight out, fix the other junk, check and re-check. If you want to see some sorry ass pears that keep eking on against all odds I'll post some pics :dizzy:.

Depends on the owners goals. re girdling roots it takes mere seconds to see if they are there or not. 'possible' is not the most useful word in assements.

Pears tolerate pruning very well. Manual method is another option for root work.

sac, let's see em!

Flagpole tree

flagpole.JPG flagpole20.jpg

flagpole 1.JPG

basal swelling- internal decay I believe, from the plastic string.

fp01.JPG fp02.JPG fp03.JPG

IMG_5654.JPG island left.JPG island left2nd.JPG

First 2 photos are of the left tree. Last 3 photos are of the tree on the Right.

I dug around the base of all these trees for photos, in maybe 15-20 mins. Wasn't easy digging, I believe in part atleast because of entangling roots (not too visible) because of lack of area for them to grow out.

island right.JPG island Right2nd.JPG island right3rd.JPG

thx for all the replies guys. I thought some close up photos would help u see what Im dealing with better.

Suggest eliminating the lawn are and turning it into a mulch bed, retrofit to drip irrigation as well. Lawn islands are a joke, especially when you stick trees in there.

P.S. Treeseer, I'll go by the site tomorrow and get some pics.

Looks like ArborPlugs in one of the trunks - what were they injected with / for?

Looks like ArborPlugs in one of the trunks - what were they injected with / for?

Arbor OTC for fireblight.

May have also injected them with phosphojet labeled for fb., Not sure, been a while...

What a shame, threw the trees in the holes wire basket & all. Cut what you can & cover with mulch. Take a soil sample & propose reduction pruning. Good luck that one is a mess.

Did. Got it back already. image.jpg Potassium and phosphorus.

Q: Air spade area within 18" of trunk on them all for pruning any bad girdlers, (and bettering 'depth error' on atleast one), OR only just manually try to get plastic string (constricting) out w/out doing any air blasting..?
I'm thinking those roots are a nasty mess too(limited growth area etc) not sure if I can help that much...

(And pruning and better area mulching)

Thinking the twine wont pull out, just cut loose ends & loops. Air spade is good helps prevent the shovel damage. 6.9 PH seems a bit high for pear, would like to see it at 6.0 - 6.5.

Latest posts

Back