The Best Wood Hauler/Fishing/Knock-Around Truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking only at Ford, GMC & Chevy full size ext cab yrs 94-2001 and 120-180k which make would u choose?
Gonna drive it about 9-12 days a month...mostly fishing & yard chores...lightweight wood hauling at best...I'm stocked pretty good with the short winters down here.

2WD is my preference...and would you prefer the 5.0/305 or 5.7/350 block in the Chevy or GMC???
Under $4500 PERIOD!

Anything in particular to look out for in these trucks at this age & high mileage?

Thanks
Reggie

My personal experience with the 305 says stay away from them. Head gasket at 110y on my '90 GMC, cracked head at 95k & again at 130k on a '93 GMC. On the newer end of your list the 5.3 is a good motor, but known for head gasket issues @130k. I like the 350, had a 97 Chevy with 220k, a buddy had 350k, and my wifes Tahoe has 240k. As far as Ford goes I would lean toward the 300 6 cylinder...it's bulletproof. The 302 and 351 are decent motors but the mileage was 11-17, as opposed to 16-23 of the 6 banger. Chevy/GM are known for cab corner and rocker panel rust.

This almost as subjective a subject as asking what the best saw is, you'll get a bazillion different answers.

BTW, I know lots of people, including myself, that ran 305's a long way and never had any trouble. Just as good as any other small-block chevy, just not as powerfull as a 350. 5.3L head gasket trouble at 130K is also news to me, know a lot of people, again, including myself, that never had that problem. As I said above, subjective, depends on who you talk to. I'm a Chevy guy, but I have a lot of respect for Ford and wouldn't have a problem buying either one of them. Dodge is the one that I have a hard time with, but someone else is going to tell you that they're the best.

The Toyota Tundra seems to have built up an excellant reputation, worth a look in my opinion. Subjective.

F150, with a 4 speed and 300 I6. The chevy small block is a proven reliable platform.. But I would choose a 350 all day over a 305. More power and the fuel economy is usually the same.

As far as Ford goes I would lean toward the 300 6 cylinder...it's bulletproof. The 302 and 351 are decent motors but the mileage was 11-17, as opposed to 16-23 of the 6 banger.

I'm a Ford guy, didn't have a lot of choice since my family owned a Ford dealership for 25 years and I never owned a "personal" vehicle in all that time... I just drove something off the lot until it was sold, usually some sort of used truck of all breeds.

I drove numerous 300, 302 and 351 powered Ford trucks (as well several big blocks). I agree the 300 is "bulletproof", near impossible to kill... but, if gearing and transmission were equal, the 300 was consistently the gas pig of the 300-class engines. One carburetor fed Bronco I drove, with a 4-speed manual, never once got over 9 MPG on the highway and averaged around 6-8 for daily driving, but it had a towing package running a 3.73 gear... an 8 cylinder would have given up fuel mileage with that gear also. Fuel injection improved them, but it also improved the 8 cylinder engines... still leaving the 300 as the gas pig.

The reason you'll sometimes see the 300 getting better highway fuel mileage, especially with 2 wheel drive trucks, is the gearing, not the engine. With the better low-end torque it's possible to gear the 300 higher (like a 3.08, or even a 2.73 gear in half ton trucks) without giving up as much stop light-to-stop light performance... whereas the 8 cylinder needs to be geared 3.31 or 3.55 to avoid sluggishness (newer trucks with the newer multi-speed auto transmissions can be geared higher). In my mind, gearing the 300 higher to improve fuel mileage is flat wrong, it takes away from the best about the 300... low end torque. That 300 powered Bronco with the 3.73 gear would darn near pull a house of it's foundation at less than 1000 RPM! I pulled many from the ditch and mud holes without ever touching the throttle... just let the clutch out. (Of course, I was running Bias Ply Tires :msp_tongue:)

Last edited:
I had bad luck with Ford but I have many friends that have had good luck. I've had a 1990 Chev 350 that got 257,000 on the original engine and a 96 that was tbi still that got 236,000 on it. Both were 2500hd models and didn't get good mileage. I went with a 95 ram 12v cummins and I am glad I did. 230,000 and still running strong. When the body poops out I'm going to swap the drivetrain into something newer with 4 doors.

1000 buck 80s truck that has a good body and frame and tires, etc, a real clean roller or semi driver in other words, and near stock as possible so that you can work on it without figuring out what the meatheads ahead of you did to it,,,and then put 3500 into it...that should get you if you do most of the work a truck with a new engine and tranny, rebuilt, plus some extra.

Well, you also limited to 90s or 2000s trucks with 57,000 miles of wiring and plumbing do dads....wouldn't be my first choice. Everything about the 80s trucks is completely and throughly documented and well known, how to make what detroit first built better.

I don't think there is a stinker in the bunch, of the trucks you mentioned. Buy whatever you can find a good deal on.

I'm looking only at Ford, GMC & Chevy full size ext cab yrs 94-2001 and 120-180k which make would u choose?
Gonna drive it about 9-12 days a month...mostly fishing & yard chores...lightweight wood hauling at best...I'm stocked pretty good with the short winters down here.

2WD is my preference...and would you prefer the 5.0/305 or 5.7/350 block in the Chevy or GMC???
Under $4500 PERIOD!

Anything in particular to look out for in these trucks at this age & high mileage?

Thanks
Reggie

I don't mean to be a post whore but I've got a little more time to elaborate now.

The TBI setup GM used from 88?-96 was a good simple setup that gave good power and fuel economy with stock swirl port heads. They also make a great running engine with 96+ Vortec heads. Basic reliable small block design, but with a better one-piece rear main. The 96-99ish Vortec small block was also a good engine that was a good improvement in HP/torque compared to the TBI. Improvements were better heads, and a roller cam/lifters. The only widespread issue with Vortec engines is intake gasket leaks. Both TBI and Vortec came in 4.3/5.0/5.7/7.4. Like I said earlier I think the 5.7 has the best performance for it's fuel economy.

One downfall of a 90s 1/2 ton GM is the 700R4/4l60E trans. Bet on them failing around 150k. They can be rebuilt with upgraded parts and are more reliable. Heavy (8 lug only) 3/4 tons will have the 4L80E which is a lot stronger and will go 200k+. Early models might have the SM465 4spd which is a great strong transmission, but late model light dutys will probably have the NV3500 which isn't nearly as strong. The NV4500 is the heavy duty 5 speed and has a low 1st gear and overdrive.

1/2 ton GM's will have the 10 bolt Semi-floating rear end (semi-floating meaning most of the axle's load is transferred to the axle shafts.) Most issues with these come from oversized tires or the Eaton G80 locker. Look in the glovebox at the RPO codes for G80. You can also find the rear axle ratio there. Light duty 3/4 ton (6 lug) will have the 14 bolt Semi-floater and heavy 3/4 will have a 14 bolt full floater.

In mid 95 GM changed their trucks to OBD2 and updated the interior to a much better setup.

I think that depending on your preference for looks vs. function you should look at a 88-98 full size GM pickup. Extended cab 2wd are very common and easy to find. 94 model and older will have the ugly interior but will be cheaper. 95+ have the option of the Vortec, better interior, and OBD2. I have heard that the TBI models get a little better fuel economy.

I am not familiar with Dodge pickups of that era and am not a Chrysler fan. Ford makes a good truck but I know the parts aren't nearly as compatible or common as the small block Chevy.

Toyota has always made an excellent pickup. The 22R is an excellent reliable engine. Although a little low on power in comparison to the Big 3. Fuel economy is not that much better either, and extended cabs are hard to find in the older models. I'm not exactly sure on the years, but from the late 80s to 95 the 3.0 V6 was gutless and had head gasket issues. the 96 up 3.4 was a much better engine. Extended cab models are more common on the newer trucks.

yup Toyotas from the friendly people who bomber pearl harbor ...... not a chance in hell

GM truck up to the vortec was the best truck maybe ever made. throttle body is almost bomb proof. trans. is iffy. wears out ft. end parts pretty quick. if you fix #### when it needs fixin you cant' wear these trucks out. the only one better IMO that is not on your list is the d21 or hardbody nissan, but you have to know a good nissan mech. or be one, lol.

Early 90's Dodge Dakota with the V6. I've owned two and father had one. All three were confirmed over 300K with no rebuilds on motor or trans.

yup Toyotas from the friendly people who bomber pearl harbor ...... not a chance in hell
Truth, but Japan was the only country to completely pay us back for rebuilding them after WWII. It's not their fault that their cars and trucks are better than ours, it's our own fault!

Truth, but Japan was the only country to completely pay us back for rebuilding them after WWII. It's not their fault that their cars and trucks are better than ours, it's our own fault!

I will give them the fact that they paid us back, and we get along fairly well with them now.

Better trucks? Maybe if you are using it as a run around. I've yet to see one actually working though. The day I see one dragging a gooseneck around at 20,000lbs plus then we'll find out. And, I may be a bit partial due to the area I live in. Have many friends and family in the big three and I would much rather support them, as to someone half way around the globe.

OP, I'm not a huge Ford fan, but the old 300 I-6 is very reliable, if you can find one that someone is willing to part with. 302s and 351s I've been around really like drinking gas. As for the Chevy, 4.3 or 5.0 will serve well, but 5.7 would be my choice for a gasser. Here's where I'll get chastised, but don't overlook the 6.5 turbo diesel that was available in 90's 1/2 tons. They got a bad rap due to no dealer support, but not a bad old engine.

I have a 99 f150 with the 4.2L v6...I LOVE IT. I looked at the 5.4 before buying mine. I have heard and seen firsthand the horror stories of the 5.4. The plugs blowing out of the cylinders, the coil packs taking a sh*t etc.. I would look at the 300-I6 (dad had 1 in a 82 van, finally died with 489K miles on it)
The 302 :msp_confused: I have worked on too many of them to give you an honest opinion....The 351....good motor
The fords are going to rust in the tailgate, wheel wells around the bed, and rockers. I can't say too much about the GM motors. I had a 94 blazer that was always getting plugged with carbon (4.3 vortec) GM said it was a design flaw....if thats true or not I dont know.

Jeff

I will give them the fact that they paid us back, and we get along fairly well with them now.

Better trucks? Maybe if you are using it as a run around. I've yet to see one actually working though. The day I see one dragging a gooseneck around at 20,000lbs plus then we'll find out. And, I may be a bit partial due to the area I live in. Have many friends and family in the big three and I would much rather support them, as to someone half way around the globe.

OP, I'm not a huge Ford fan, but the old 300 I-6 is very reliable, if you can find one that someone is willing to part with. 302s and 351s I've been around really like drinking gas. As for the Chevy, 4.3 or 5.0 will serve well, but 5.7 would be my choice for a gasser. Here's where I'll get chastised, but don't overlook the 6.5 turbo diesel that was available in 90's 1/2 tons. They got a bad rap due to no dealer support, but not a bad old engine.

No, it won't drag around 20,000 lbs. An F150 or 1500 won't either. The Tundra is a half ton truck... For it's intended purpose, they are an excellent pickup. Well, as good as any now. They are all becoming more and more like grocery-getting SUV's.

But you will buy an "American" vehicle that was assembled in Mexico/Canada often with foreign parts? It's a global economy, very little is truly "Made in the USA" anymore.

Early 90's Dodge Dakota with the V6. I've owned two and father had one. All three were confirmed over 300K with no rebuilds on motor or trans.

Not many people know the Dakota originated on the Dodge Diplomat frame. The 256 (6 cyl variant of the 318) or 318 2 wd gen 1 or 2 Dakota is a forever vehicle in op's neck of the woods

Back