the boss finally agreed with me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcars2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:cheers: :cheers: The wife bless her heart, has been after me for a while to move the wood stove operation out of the house and into the basement. well anyhow i finally talked her out of the furnace idea, with the "we wont have any heat with the power off angle" and upon the mention of our two small children, i won her over.
The stove is staying in the living room.
Actually we are purchasing a new stove with the money president bush has promised us, one of the smaller more efficient stoves. Since i am only heating about 1200 square feet at the current time.
Anyhow, my current stove is plumbed into a unlined masonry chimney, bad i know. The actual chimney is built outside of the house on a wall that is also masonry. Im looking at knocking the whole thing down and installing a triple walled stainless chimney up the side of the house and three feet above the roof. is this a common installation, or am i missing something.
installation looks pretty straight forward.
i just feel with my current chimney setup, with an unlined brick chimney, i have wasted alot of wood and put my family in danger, so i want it right.
thanks in advance.
:chainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
the chimney is a little rough

chimney is a little rough, im just gonna have to see which will be the best route to go

I agree with the stainless insulated liner.

We bought a house a few years back with a cracked flu. We put an Excel insulated stainless liner in. The Excel system is easy to install, is rated to withstand a lot of heat, I'm sure it would be much easier than tearing down and starting over. I'm not sure about the cost, I didn't price tripple wall.

We paid to have a high quality stainless liner installed in our chimney, along with the poured-in (vermiculite) insulation around it. Cost?? Approximately $1300.00. Our house is 130 yrs old, and the chimney is brick (single layer) with no flue tile of any kind...... since they weren't invented when the house was built. If it were me, i sure wouldn't tear down and start over unless there were other major reasons to do so.

We paid to have a high quality stainless liner installed in our chimney, along with the poured-in (vermiculite) insulation around it. Cost?? Approximately $1300.00. Our house is 130 yrs old, and the chimney is brick (single layer) with no flue tile of any kind...... since they weren't invented when the house was built. If it were me, i sure wouldn't tear down and start over unless there were other major reasons to do so.

+3 on the liner! My house is 200+ and there are 3 brick chimneys plus an insulated stainless pipe in the barn. None of the brick chimneys are lined nor have they ever been. One has the kitchen stove Glenwood C, the center has the oil furnace and the far end has a smaller Jotul. Good seasoned wood and hot fires are your best insurence along with annual sweeps. Next year I may use a further wood heater in the center but would run a seperate liner down for it. It's plenty big for the oil furnace too still breath if and when it runs. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back