The Boston Bermie tour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
As promised Bermie arrived across the western Atlantic Ocean to visit our fair city. Local Boston climbers were booked up over the weekend so we pulled together a Friday afternoon climb on short notice (thanks to Boston Bull for providing air traffic control from the Northshore). Bermie was great to hang with, showed some slick moves and great knowledge of trees and nature all around. Every time we jokingly suggested a challenging move she'd be off making it happen and then some. The isle of Bermuda is fortunate to have her on site taking care of business.
-moss

It was a great climb for sure! Hope she posts the pics she took, it was a rare rec climb with only one camera:dizzy:

Hey, hey, hey!!!

I'm back in bermadoo...catching up on a million emails.

I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to the boys...BostonBull, OTGBoston, Moss, you all went out of your way in your busy schedules to put together the climb and I truly appreciated it. Leif, and the one legged Frenchman joined us too, great to meet them as well.

We climbed a huge old Beech, the glove was slapped the challenge was laid, climb out to the nearby maple, two feet in the tree...done! (Slow though, admiring the scenery on the way...) Then a 60'ish climb up an oak (don't ask me what kind) trying out Moss' one foot footlocking technique (or the poor man's Pantin) really works well, another trick to put in the bag for when its needed.

I had a great time, got to try out Fly and Tachyon, I am so going to get some of the Tachyon next time I need a rope...
Got to see a bunch of OTG's neat setups, ascenders, foot slings, SRT...man he's got all the gadgets!
And Moss' inventions, the conduit cambium saver (got through customs no problem) the amazing trigger release home made 'big shot', now THAT is a cool piece of kit folks.

My apologies if I babbled and dribbled, oportunities to climb and talk trees with like minded folks is a rare opportunity!

I went to visit the Arnold Arboretum before the climb, one word...HEAVEN...!

I'll get the pictures posted asap, just need to resize them, stay tuned.

Oops, babbling again...:dizzy:

And Moss' inventions, the conduit cambium saver (got through customs no problem) the amazing trigger release home made 'big shot', now THAT is a cool piece of kit folks.

Not babbling at all, nothing like getting together with other climbers to just climb and learn.

The conduit cambium saver was invented for tree climbing by Dan House in Kansas City, I made the one you have. I've worked my way through various conduit specs, this is my favorite, located by ErieBuoy and shown here:
Conduit spec The Thomas and Betts endcap/ferrule works the best.

Jeff Newman of Georgia invented and builds the "Rogue Sidewinder" slingshot, it's designed for hiking into the woods. The telescoping pole can be used as a walking stick and the slingshot head folds flat for easy packing. New Tribe now carries the Sidewinder:
Rogue Sidewinder

For the slingshot trigger I made a "hold and release" system and used a Wichard Snap Release purchased from Sherrill for the trigger part. It can be used on sectioned Big Shot poles, a single long pole or the Sidewinder. The idea of the pull down and hold system is that it allows the user to relax and focus on aim. And if you're not built big and burly it makes it easier to pull the sling the full length of an 8 foot pole for high shots.
-moss

Last edited:
It was our pleasure Bermie! Sometimes we need an AS superstar like yourself to come to town to get us motivated for a get-together climb.:)

Hey, easy on the superlatives! Glad to have been the catalyst...kudos to BostonBull for getting up all togther, Moss for the kit, OTG for the site:clap:

Here are some pictures...

Last edited:
Something wrong with my browser. I see them now. Great tree. Good to see moss and OTG again.
Bermie that set you have is for footlocking only? Doesn't look like you would be able to pull down with your arms it's so close to the belt?

Something wrong with my browser. I see them now. Great tree. Good to see moss and OTG again.
Bermie that set you have is for footlocking only? Doesn't look like you would be able to pull down with your arms it's so close to the belt?

Bermie wasn't traveling with gear so I set her up with some kit. For the system shown you pull rope above the hitch and footlock the tail or use a Pantin below the hitch. Bermie was using a Pantin most of the time but tried out the single footlock technique.

Here's the way it works, it's the climber that makes the gear, not the other way around. I'm confident that the experienced climbers out there can get up into a tree on just about any gear configuration imaginable.
-moss

No Troll, we were just climbing, no cutting, I had a pair of arborwear tech pants....

Part of the fun was to try out completely different gear from what I'm used to, I don't often get that opportunity:popcorn:

Back