The Case for Ultra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my latest project, an 009 "Super Mag." I got a nice 012 today, the first good one out of three I have. Original owner, even had the owner's manual. A little dribble of Ultra mix on the reed, and it ran on the first pull! Smoked like a 40 year old diesel in need of an overhaul, though. You will soon see why. First some general pics, sized for fast loading.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There was no removing this nut, the handle is too close to it, glad the rubber mount wasn't too tight.

attachment.php

Disassembly Process:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am being careful to put all the spare pieces back together, in case someone wants an 012 handle set. Notice it is a weird handle setup, with FIVE screws holding the handle cover on. AV setup is very effective, but bulky and weird. I will much prefer the compact 009 handle on this little unit.

Last edited:
The Process Continues....

The recoil cover has likely never been removed, or the screws have been epoxied in!
attachment.php

I dig out my old motorcycle case impact driver, but the only slotted bit is in a screwdriver, and I need to cut it with a dremel. PITA!
attachment.php

No, wait. There is a better way to do this:
attachment.php

Worked like a charm. This is one dirty saw.
attachment.php

Gotta protect the carb throat from debris.
attachment.php

Just how dirty is it?

Look! A dual port muffler!

attachment.php

Hmmm. Were we run a bit rich?

attachment.php

Quite a buildup of crud here. Auxiliary port is completely blocked!

attachment.php

Soon there will be a cleansing. A cleansing of fire.

attachment.php

Good thing the exhaust fan goes out of the house...

attachment.php

Wish my camera focus area was more predictable.
Check out the thick deposits! THREE MM THICK! Wish the previous owner had used Ultra.... oh, I guess it hadn't yet come out when this saw was built.

attachment.php

Protect the bore with some aluminum tape.....

attachment.php

A lot of work with bamboo skewers, and some CRC electric parts cleaner, and the saw is a pound or two lighter!

attachment.php

Ready to pop the bore off. Hmmm. Who can predict what happens next?

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow! Golly! Look whut I done found!

Wheeeeeeeeeeee! I think there were twelve of them,:cry: I managed to find seven!:clap:

attachment.php

Just a bit of play in the big end con rod........:dizzy:

attachment.php

You know, I had to pull the jug.

attachment.php

Must be some good squish space above this piston.....

attachment.php

I thought about just running it wth Ultra for a while, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Piston is definitely usable.

Looks good to me, except for that carbon calcium buildup....:dizzy:

attachment.php

Yessir, pretty good for an old "occasional use" saw..... Wait till you see the sprocket spur. This feller has seen some use, I'd say.

attachment.php

The case for Ultra. I rest my case.

Charge up those camera batteries and keep on going!Hope the rest of the rod bearings are still in the case.

Charge up those camera batteries and keep on going!Hope the rest of the rod bearings are still in the case.

They're not. They are on the floor, along with a throttle rod for an 056 Mag 2.
Funny thing, I was gonna do this over a big plastic tub; I remembered this would happen when I heard that little clinking sound of small bits of high-grade steel hitting concrete.

Bad break.I don't know about your saw,but an older 021 has 14 rollers.Don't ask me how I found this out.

Bad break.I don't know about your saw,but an older 021 has 14 rollers.Don't ask me how I found this out.

I'm sure they are stihl available, and probably affordable. This is gonna be one cool saw when I get done with it. Course it would be nice if it were like new, but I got it for a reasonable price, and it is mechanically in good condition.

I have an 011 I did this to, and it is surprisingly powerful with a 12" bar. I will have to run a minimum of 14 on this one when I get it going. 45 cc of reed valve torque in a compact handle configuration. Sound is cool, too.

I agree with you,that saw will rebuild nicely.Funny how running a rich oil mix will gunk one up and yet still leave you good parts to rebuild after cleaning up.Kinda makes me lean toward 32-1(OOPS,that's off topic).When I had to deal with some errant rollers ,I put a strong bar magnet into an old sock tied on the end of a broom handle.I "pretended" to dust around and the silly little things jumped on for the free ride.They were then returned to their previous state of servitude.

Last edited:
If the handle will fit my 011, pm me what you want for it. Or at least the rubber buffer. By the way, good pics. I wish i would had taken pics of my 011 rebuild. And good luck with the bearings, they can be a pain, I used grease and lots of it to hold them in.

If you port the exhaust and gut the muffler, you can run a 16" if you want. My 011 pulls a 16" pretty good now. Granted its no race saw, but it doesnt bog when you push on it. :clap:

If the handle will fit my 011, pm me what you want for it. Or at least the rubber buffer. By the way, good pics. I wish i would had taken pics of my 011 rebuild. And good luck with the bearings, they can be a pain, I used grease and lots of it to hold them in.

So you want the rear handle assembly? Is yours an AVT? Shorter cable, a bit more responsive. What parts you looking for? I was thinking of keeping the assembly together. The AV mounts are OK, but not like new. 009, 010, 011, 012 are the same saw. ONly difference is the handle, P/C, and the oil pump. 011 and 012 have a slightly different oil pump, but they interchange. All parts interchange. Even used the same carbs.

I really only need the front handlebar bottom AV mount. But was willing to take the whole handlebar since you said you couldnt get the mount out. And yes, mine is a top handle. I think it is slowly becoming my favorite little saw. So you like the 009 handle setup better? I would think the vibes would get to me after a while. I might also be interested in the recoil cover, mine is plastic and faded out. I am in the process of painting it, but I dont think the plastic will hold up. Let me know.

Great pics. When I get an 011 that needs gutted this thread will be a great resource. Ultra is great, I've seen it clean a few mm of carbon out of an exhaust port in 5 or so tanks of running the piss out of the saw.

Latest posts

Back