The Cat Came Back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
I've long been critical of catalytic converter mufflers on chainsaws. This was because they are complete Band-Aids that do nothing to reduce wasted fuel, they just burn it up in a can afterwards, plus they are restrictive and get hot. To that end I took the cat muffler off my Husky 142e 9 years ago, and have been happy with how it's run ever since. It's otherwise totally stock, one of the few saw I have that has never had the engine opened. This is how it looked when the muffler was new:
IMG_5262-1024.jpg

However, I've long known that breathing 2-stroke exhaust causes me to hack and cough, thanks to all the unburned mix in the exhaust. I have two Echo string trimmers, one ported and modified 24cc, and one stone stock 21cc with a cat muffler. I end up using the stock one with the cat because it doesn't bother me, and it works just fine. About 2 years ago I was having a discussion with @scottr about Poulan's cat mufflers. We did some modifications and I opened one up, and it turns out the cat material is not restrictive, rather it's just a mesh like Poulan usually uses as a spark screen. There's lots of surface area, but the outlets are tiny. I think they are using these like the "Thermal Reactors" that some auto companies tried in the early days of emissions equipment. It's a mostly closed can with a tiny outlet, and a hot catalyst inside to keep it cooking - that way as much of the unburned fuel can get cooked off as possible.

Still, if I mod it like a normal muffler it will flow fine, and the cat material will at least clean up some of the unburned junk. So that's what I did. Here's the 142 with the cat back on - I forgot to get a shot of the outlet, but it's plenty large:
IMG_6359-1024.jpg

Then I pulled apart a cat muffler from a 42cc. I added a larger outlet to the tiny port that was there:
IMG_2936-1024.jpg
IMG_2935-1024.jpg
IMG_2933.jpg
IMG_2921-1024.jpg

I see no reason this won't flow fine. So this muffler got put on my most heavily modified Poulan:
IMG_6363-1024.jpg

Now I expect the extra heat from the cats will cause me more vapor lock issues, especially on the 142 with the Turbo Clean scoop. On the 42cc saw I use this modified cover to reduce vapor lock, and it works quite well:
IMG_6367-1024.jpg

I ran a tank through both saws cutting hickory today, and they ran just as they always have. They didn't stink so much though.

Interesting. I think the only cat muffler piece of Oh Pee Eee I have here is a 25cc Weedeater Featherlite straight-shaft trimmer, and while its exhaust did seem less odiferous and with less visible smoke after start-up, It seemed like the extra heat (and maybe UV exposure in its former life before I rescued it from a dumpster) broke down the outer surface of the cooling shroud. The glass fiber embedded in the plastic shroud now gives me a fiberglass itch burn on my forearm when I use it.

My solution was to a) drill a few extra outlet holes in the muffler, allowing some of the exhaust to bypass the cat mesh; and b) put some 3M foil tape on top of the shroud to shield my arm from the damn fiberglass.

Result: the shroud is noticeably cooler, the engine feels happier at higher revs and it’s now noisy and stinky. And my forearm doesn’t feel burnt, scratched and itchy.

I have a spare muffler for it. Your post makes me want to try the stock muffler with a more careful muffler mod DOWNSTREAM of the cat mesh. And maybe some shroud mods to allow easier heat exit.

I have a three-trimmer plan: new Redmax, Poulan PP333 backup and the Featherlite backup to the backup.I can afford to risk failed mods on the Featherlite.

Interesting. I think the only cat muffler piece of Oh Pee Eee I have here is a 25cc Weedeater Featherlite straight-shaft trimmer, and while its exhaust did seem less odiferous and with less visible smoke after start-up, It seemed like the extra heat (and maybe UV exposure in its former life before I rescued it from a dumpster) broke down the outer surface of the cooling shroud. The glass fiber embedded in the plastic shroud now gives me a fiberglass itch burn on my forearm when I use it.

My solution was to a) drill a few extra outlet holes in the muffler, allowing some of the exhaust to bypass the cat mesh; and b) put some 3M foil tape on top of the shroud to shield my arm from the damn fiberglass.

Result: the shroud is noticeably cooler, the engine feels happier at higher revs and it’s now noisy and stinky. And my forearm doesn’t feel burnt, scratched and itchy.

I have a spare muffler for it. Your post makes me want to try the stock muffler with a more careful muffler mod DOWNSTREAM of the cat mesh. And maybe some shroud mods to allow easier heat exit.

I have a three-trimmer plan: new Redmax, Poulan PP333 backup and the Featherlite backup to the backup.I can afford to risk failed mods on the Featherlite.
Some of the cat mufflers force the exhaust through a box of fairly tight "wool" catalyst material. That's gotta be restrictive. I was surprised when the Poulan cat was just a mesh screen like the spark arrestor on the normal mufflers.

This past spring I got out my husqy 128 weed wacker. Put my normal fuel in it and went to business. Something was off just couldnt get the rpm to stay up. Figured it was carb time. Nope, trump through the ultra sonic and a new kit ran the same. Got to thinking a bit. Took the muffler off and fired it up. Full rpm no issues. Popped the muffler apart and it had a miniature version of any other catalytic converter I've ever seen in a car. Half melted. I popped it out. Drilled the tiny little hole out that was called an exhaust and bolted it back on. Yep it stinks, like klotz lol. Runs much better and the muffler doesnt get near as hot. I would wonder if the mes style your talking about wouldnt have gotten clogged up.

This past spring I got out my husqy 128 weed wacker. Put my normal fuel in it and went to business. Something was off just couldnt get the rpm to stay up. Figured it was carb time. Nope, trump through the ultra sonic and a new kit ran the same. Got to thinking a bit. Took the muffler off and fired it up. Full rpm no issues. Popped the muffler apart and it had a miniature version of any other catalytic converter I've ever seen in a car. Half melted. I popped it out. Drilled the tiny little hole out that was called an exhaust and bolted it back on. Yep it stinks, like klotz lol. Runs much better and the muffler doesnt get near as hot. I would wonder if the mes style your talking about wouldnt have gotten clogged up.
The regular mufflers I had on those saws had a wire mesh just like the cats, it was just steel. The only difference/downside to the cat muffler is a heat, and maybe a little weight. But they do have extensive heat shields. The 142e came with them, and I had already added one on the ported 42cc to protect the old case.

Back