Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to put a side exhaust port on my 372 muffler instead of the top port... tired of it burning my hand when I've got the bar buried bucking big logs. What size should the exhaust port be? Not really looking to get max power, but a performance boost would not be unwelcome either. I just really want the exhaust going out the side instead of the top. And, what to use for the outlet pipe? I bought one of the aftermarket side port mufflers, but the port on that thing is tiny... so I never put it on. But I think this will be the muffler that I modify since it doesn't have the top port.

Any tips tricks advice?

Thanks!

Well, here's the result of an afternoon's piddling in the shop... my first bona-fide muffkin mod.

Don't laugh too hard at the bird poop holding the pipe in there... I'm not used to this little squirt gun OR flux core... and I didn't have anything resembling what I was welding on to get some practice on. I decided it was wayy too much of a PITA to dig my MIG out of the back of the other building where it lives. But, I don't think it will fall out.

I left the baffle in the muffler... if I don't like it, I'll pull the halves apart and take the baffle out and glue it back together. Outlet is 3/4" pipe, about 63%ish of the inlet area if I remember the math from a few days ago.

Will it work?DSCN1121.JPGDSCN1121.JPGDSCN1122.JPGDSCN1124.JPGDSCN1126.JPG

Well, here's the result of an afternoon's piddling in the shop... my first bona-fide muffkin mod.

Don't laugh too hard at the bird poop holding the pipe in there... I'm not used to this little squirt gun OR flux core... and I didn't have anything resembling what I was welding on to get some practice on. I decided it was wayy too much of a PITA to dig my MIG out of the back of the other building where it lives. But, I don't think it will fall out.

I left the baffle in the muffler... if I don't like it, I'll pull the halves apart and take the baffle out and glue it back together. Outlet is 3/4" pipe, about 63%ish of the inlet area if I remember the math from a few days ago.

Will it work?View attachment 1058298View attachment 1058298View attachment 1058299View attachment 1058300View attachment 1058301
Ugly but should work fine.

I don’t think a grinder could make those “welds” look pretty. Yikes
LOL, I know right? Not the ugliest welds I've seen on this site, but not far from it. I should have dug out the MIG. Oh well. This is more of a test anyway.

The settings I ended up with when I finally got it to run good were nowhere near the cover chart settings.... but you can't keep just globbing it on. LIke I said, I didn't have any material to get the machine set. New machine, and never used flux core before.

Back