The Dead of Night, Old Growth spiders in my brain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a line right now on a good 550 that comes with an auger attachment. Should be picking it up in a couple of weeks. I imagine I won't have much chance to use it to its full potential, but I'll sure be thinking of where it's been every time I run it.

I have a line right now on a good 550 that comes with an auger attachment. Should be picking it up in a couple of weeks. I imagine I won't have much chance to use it to its full potential, but I'll sure be thinking of where it's been every time I run it.

Grab it and post pics. A 550 packs a bit more power than needed for an auger attachment. I'm impressed with my 550 so far, but haven't put it in 'big wood' yet...:D

That '70s wildman pic you've got in your siggy is one of my favorites Randy!:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron.
the famous barbarian phase, the basic, elemental being in us all, I let mine go for it.

finger.jpg

Sport cutting, oh those were the days. My bro aka Humboldt Red and I roamed southern Humboldt county looking for interesting trees to fall, we often got far more than we bargined for. There are reasons why the old loggers left trees, we rediscovered some of the whys.

Joe, that 550 shouldn't give you too much trouble to get going, if it does, the Mac guys will help.

Did you get your pics straightened out. I would hate to have greasy smelly hippys living on my page lol.
Sometimes I get a call to cut something that is for a good cause and sometimes it is even fun! Lol

time has not been kind to that old 550. So far the gas tank is not in serviceable condition the carb is not working or the oiler. But the piston and cylinder look new and it has great compression.
I have posted about it on the Mac page.
I just have to find time to work on it.

WTF!
This thread sucks now!
It will be missed!

I live were George Washington cut ALL the timber out for the Lake wars.
Nothing LARGE or HUGE! The occasional plantation Oak or home stead Maples.
But nothing continues! Good to hear stories (detailed) of cutting.
Never fell anything over 5'(well actually that was only twice at 4-5') everything else has been 2.75-3.5' and those are rare or even just to make room or clear up congestion in a stand.

Man, hippies(tree huggers) have there place! But I only take them serious if they are living in a cave or pine lathe A-frame tent.

He just sent me a wild, very funny tale about spearing a too big of a King, after it tried to drown him, it beat the crap out of him, way funny. Too bad this didn't continue for another 50 pages or so. You lost a great deal here.

I tried to post, and then PM you guys where RandyMac can be found now. Apparently that's a no-no because the addresses were deleted and couldn't be listed in a post or a PM.

If you can't find him PM me and I'll send you my cell number. Call me and I'll tell you where he is.

To the mods...I'm not advertising for another site and I'm certainly not advocating breaking the rules. I'm not trying to inspire a mass exodus from AS...just helping guys stay in touch. If we can't do it the easy way, we'll try it the hard way.

And if, after all these years, I get banned for this...well, maybe it's time to go anyway.

I tried to post, and then PM you guys where RandyMac can be found now. Apparently that's a no-no because the addresses were deleted and couldn't be listed in a post or a PM.

If you can't find him PM me and I'll send you my cell number. Call me and I'll tell you where he is.

To the mods...I'm not advertising for another site and I'm certainly not advocating breaking the rules. I'm not trying to inspire a mass exodus from AS...just helping guys stay in touch. If we can't do it the easy way, we'll try it the hard way.

And if, after all these years, I get banned for this...well, maybe it's time to go anyway.

Well put Bob.:cheers:

amen! it's a good place.

Joe!!
Yes indeed, the logging era that few people know of, or care to hear about. Mechanized logging doesn't have the romantic vision most hold of the old hand logging. The picture of a solid man, with nothing but his strength, wit and a handtool against trees so big you were called a liar if you talked about it. The facts are far from wonderful, it was a brutal job, a man didn't last long, it made you old fast, if you lived through it. The body count was high, little or no regard given to the men, let alone the forest, the waste of both were rampant. Before steam blasted onto the scene, the woods rang with axes, men hollering, Bulls lowing, trees crashing down. Steam changed all of that, steam was loud, steam had power, cables were soon strung, rails laid, the pace picked up and so did the carnage, both men and trees. The post WW2 era saw real fuel breathing machines, crude, heavy, slow and ages beyond oxen and steam. Now we arrive in that time Joe was talking about, let's call it 1950. A few developments occured about then, McCulloch and Homelite brought portable, powerful and fast cutting chainsaws to the market. Caterpiller had pulled themselves out of a post War glut of tractors that were too heavy for practical woods use and had a strong hand on the bulldozer designs. It was on. The next 25 years saw more timber harvested than in the previous 100 years. Improvements of equipment and logging practices accelerated, by the time 1960 rolled around, the pattern was set, while machines got faster, the techniques stayed pretty much the same through the 1970s. In my opinion, the 1960s were as destructive as logging got, politics later in the decade caused landowners to throw away long term harvest plans and tear the living #### outta the land. Reseach Redwood Creek, see through the leftist cant, to who really caused the devastation.
Much of the history of this period has yet to be written, most of the machines are gone, as are the men who ran them. Whatever my personal motives may have been, it was an honor to have participated in such activities with the men who pioneered them.

Man you do have a way with words put it in a book for all the world to see its great end of story!

Latest posts

Back