The Dead of Night, Old Growth spiders in my brain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really appreciate the feedback, even the most simple remarks are valuble. I didn't expect the depth of feeling from the responses, I am in awe. I will do my best.

I'm still considering a title and cover art, my Annie is very helpfull in this.

This last Monday I spent the day driving my brother to a Dr visit in Ferndale, It was a good day to drive into southern Humboldt. We had a good talk, I got a bunch of great leads, some things that will be included, some not.

That last bit, "Walking", I wasn't sure about posting it, not out of fear of rejection, only that it might reveal more about me than I wanted. I need not have worried, you-all are a great group, you inspire me to out do myself.

Right now I am working on another fiasco my Bro and I got into, giant Madrones, very steep hillside, lack of common sense.......how we lived to this age.....
You know how to put thoughts into words, Most people can't do that. A gift that you share with all of us and we all thank you so much.

Thank you SS, I am really feeling a warm glow.

firesnag.jpg

Keep the stories coming. I really enjoy reading them. I hope you do write a book. I would love to get a copy myself.

mr mackendrick

I am in awe , ive been reading your stories for a few years now , from one website to another , and have always enjoyed reading your ramblings weather its an enguagement in mindless diatribe between a couple of people seeking hilarous fullfillment, or serious debates about how to repair and old saw . I think you would probably find it interesting to see how many people actually have a creative side , in one way or the other . I write alot , my brain sometimes out runs my fingers, but the only one who reads my writings would be my significant other. She has a biased opinion in my favor , lol . I commend you my brother for writing even with fear of rejection , I commend you even more for writing in the manor you do . All to often a mans pride will hold him back from greatness, you my friend have a true way with words that enthralls the mind with colorfull descriptions that make a man feel like he was watching you as you worked. You tend to make someone feel like part of the story .

p.s. i think the cover should be an artist rendering of part of one of your stories, a crystal clear painting or drawing .

Thank you Wes, shoot me a bit of your stuff, I would love to read something from you.

GologitBob, I'll have something for you soon.

SS, I wimped out, could not get across that bridge.

I really appreciate the feedback, even the most simple remarks are valuble. I didn't expect the depth of feeling from the responses, I am in awe. I will do my best.

I'm still considering a title and cover art, my Annie is very helpfull in this.

This last Monday I spent the day driving my brother to a Dr visit in Ferndale, It was a good day to drive into southern Humboldt. We had a good talk, I got a bunch of great leads, some things that will be included, some not.

That last bit, "Walking", I wasn't sure about posting it, not out of fear of rejection, only that it might reveal more about me than I wanted. I need not have worried, you-all are a great group, you inspire me to out do myself.

Right now I am working on another fiasco my Bro and I got into, giant Madrones, very steep hillside, lack of common sense.......how we lived to this age.....

I hope you do record your story in a book. The people who lived through the greatest logging era ever are very few and even fewer who are able or willing to tell.
This time was the climax of the Paul Bunyan legends. When what had been mere fantasy and fairy tales became reality. When technology met great forests before regulation killed it.
Those days are gone and will not be repeated in my life time.

Last edited:
Joe!!
Yes indeed, the logging era that few people know of, or care to hear about. Mechanized logging doesn't have the romantic vision most hold of the old hand logging. The picture of a solid man, with nothing but his strength, wit and a handtool against trees so big you were called a liar if you talked about it. The facts are far from wonderful, it was a brutal job, a man didn't last long, it made you old fast, if you lived through it. The body count was high, little or no regard given to the men, let alone the forest, the waste of both were rampant. Before steam blasted onto the scene, the woods rang with axes, men hollering, Bulls lowing, trees crashing down. Steam changed all of that, steam was loud, steam had power, cables were soon strung, rails laid, the pace picked up and so did the carnage, both men and trees. The post WW2 era saw real fuel breathing machines, crude, heavy, slow and ages beyond oxen and steam. Now we arrive in that time Joe was talking about, let's call it 1950. A few developments occured about then, McCulloch and Homelite brought portable, powerful and fast cutting chainsaws to the market. Caterpiller had pulled themselves out of a post War glut of tractors that were too heavy for practical woods use and had a strong hand on the bulldozer designs. It was on. The next 25 years saw more timber harvested than in the previous 100 years. Improvements of equipment and logging practices accelerated, by the time 1960 rolled around, the pattern was set, while machines got faster, the techniques stayed pretty much the same through the 1970s. In my opinion, the 1960s were as destructive as logging got, politics later in the decade caused landowners to throw away long term harvest plans and tear the living #### outta the land. Reseach Redwood Creek, see through the leftist cant, to who really caused the devastation.
Much of the history of this period has yet to be written, most of the machines are gone, as are the men who ran them. Whatever my personal motives may have been, it was an honor to have participated in such activities with the men who pioneered them.

Last edited:
Joe!!
Yes indeed, the logging era that few people know of, or care to hear about. Mechanized logging doesn't have the romantic vision most hold of the old hand logging. The picture of a solid man, with nothing but his strength, wit and a handtool against trees so big you were called a liar if you talked about it. The facts are far from wonderful, it was a brutal job, a man didn't last long, it made you old fast, if you lived through it. The body count was high, little or no regard given to the men, let alone the forest, the waste of both were rampant. Before steam blasted onto the scene, the woods rang with axes, men hollering, Bulls lowing, trees crashing down. Steam changed all of that, steam was loud, steam had power, cables were soon strung, rails laid, the pace picked up and so did the carnage, both men and trees. The post WW2 era saw real fuel breathing machines, crude, heavy, slow and ages beyond oxen and steam. Now we arrive in that time Joe was talking about, let's call it 1950. A few developments occured about then, McCulloch and Homelite brought portable, powerful and fast cutting chainsaws to the market. Caterpiller had pulled themselves out of a post War glut of tractors that were too heavy for practical woods use and had a strong hand on the bulldozer designs. It was on. The next 25 years saw more timber harvested than in the previous 100 years. Improvements of equipment and logging practices accelerated, by the time 1960 rolled around, the pattern was set, while machines got faster, the techniques stayed pretty much the same through the 1970s. In my opinion, the 1960s were as destructive as logging got, politics later in the decade caused landowners to throw away long term harvest plans and tear the living #### outta the land. Reseach Redwood Creek, see through the leftist cant, to who really caused the devastation.
Much of the history of this period has yet to be written, most of the machines are gone, as are the men who ran them. Whatever my personal motives may have been, it was an honor to have participated in such activities with the men who pioneered them.

Well said. I'm headed to the woods. Keep writing.

Joe!!

I got through a couple of books about the times of oxen and rails a few months ago. I had no idea how huge the logging industry was in Wi, Mich, and Minn during the 1800s and how many board feet those boys pulled out and how they did it. The old growth White Pine 5-6' on the butt and 150' tall and running em all down the rivers at the end of the winter. Frickin nuts. Invention of the peavy and rakers on the cross-cuts. Hard times and hard livin. There was one guy whose name it bothers me that I can't recall. He started lumberjacking in Maine, made his way to Wi, and ended his career out in the PNW during the mid to late 1800s. When all the pine was clear cut here a lot of the boys made their way out west. It must have been a hell of sight around here back then. I wish they would have missed a patch of old growth though. Even an acre or two. Its tough to imagine those size of pines around here. I've found a few that were probably small when they swept through up north, maybe 3' on the butt. I do come across things in the woods from time to time. A piece of a cross cut or some calked horse shoes for walking on snow and ice. I still have the shoes laying around somewhere.

Good stuff again Randy.

Randy thanx for sharing!This has been a great thread to read.If you ever write a book i would be sure to get myself a copy.Thanx again Randy!

I got through a couple of books about the times of oxen and rails a few months ago. I had no idea how huge the logging industry was in Wi, Mich, and Minn during the 1800s and how many board feet those boys pulled out and how they did it. The old growth White Pine 5-6' on the butt and 150' tall and running em all down the rivers at the end of the winter. Frickin nuts. Invention of the peavy and rakers on the cross-cuts. Hard times and hard livin. There was one guy whose name it bothers me that I can't recall. He started lumberjacking in Maine, made his way to Wi, and ended his career out in the PNW during the mid to late 1800s. When all the pine was clear cut here a lot of the boys made their way out west. It must have been a hell of sight around here back then. I wish they would have missed a patch of old growth though. Even an acre or two. Its tough to imagine those size of pines around here. I've found a few that were probably small when they swept through up north, maybe 3' on the butt. I do come across things in the woods from time to time. A piece of a cross cut or some calked horse shoes for walking on snow and ice. I still have the shoes laying around somewhere.

Good stuff again Randy.

Itasca State Park in Minnesota has a bit of old growth, not to mention the source of the old miss. Quite remarkable timber. Take the fam, a nice little trip. There is a logging "living history" camp in Grand Rapids, MN too, whcih is a nice little tour to see how the camps were up there back then. Up in northern Wisconsin is the Menominee Indian Reservation, they are doing long rotation even aged mgmt., they have some pretty nice timber, but not old growth. (that I know of)

Last edited:
Itasca State Park in Minnesota has a bit of old growth, not to mention the source of the old miss. Quite remarkable timber. Take the fam, a nice little trip. There is a logging "living history" camp in Grand Rapids, MN too, whcih is a nice little tour to see how the camps were up there back then. Up in northern Wisconsin is the Menominee Indian Reservation, they are doing long rotation even aged mgmt., they have some pretty nice timber, but not old growth. (that I know of)

Thanks for the info Joe. I'll have to make my way up there someday. In one of the books I read, a faller counted the rings on the stump of one of the last big pines cut. It was somewhere around 5' on the stump. By the rings they figured it started growing a few years after columbus landed. Crazy stuff. It takes a while to grow em around here.

Good stuff again Randy.

Guessing you're talking about the "Lost 40". It's about 50 miles NE of Bemidji, in the middle of nowhere, MN. It's actually 100+ acres that were never logged due to a survey error. It's now a MN Scenic / Natural Area, and there's a hiking trail through it. I haven't been there yet, but it's on the short list for weekend toodles, and you can bet camera will be along when I go.

Some reading:

http://www.minnesotafunfacts.com/minnesota-geography/the-lost-40-a-minnesota-forest-legacy/

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/sna01063/index.html

Randy, keep the stories coming. They're excellent!

Seems that most regions have their logging history, if there were forests, there were loggers and thier history. I studied up some on the Cypress logging in the South, incredible, the lengths they went to for the timber. I found a short vid, converted from old film, two men, standing in small boats, hacking away at a big swelled butt, while using the rocking of the boats to help swing the axes. Can you imagine crosscut bucking while in the water? Water? it looked like deep swamp, all full of critters.

Back